[Suggestion] how about an mana-AA turret?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by captaindaan1, Feb 28, 2015.

1. captaindaan1

like a single burster, only with a slower rate of fire. if you upgrade it the rate of fire will become higher, also the heat function will increase when you upgrade with certs. This way you will give the engineer another great use defending sundys or armor that has no AA. just like the max the engi can be specialized. to make difference between all turrets, maybe drop the aim hight of the AV turret, so aiming higher (the sky) would require an AA turret.
    ~captaindaan, emerald-TR, 382nd terran air wing
    • Up x 11
  2. LordMcHash

How about NO.
    • Up x 1
  3. Plastikfrosch

It would be a lot more usefull than those funny little spitfires (they are funny and some kind of motionspotters but they are more a joke than usefull).
    BUT slower than ONE burster??? Even with a double burster max you are 99% of the time not able to get one ESF down (only if the pilot has the awareness and skill of a stone). Before you get the ESF down he will use afterburner to get out of your reach. And as a Max you are mobile and you can take more than a normal infanterist. So while you are standing on such an AA turret you have to mount, they will get you so fast because you cant take as much as a max and because there is a delay between hitting the E to leave your turret and the moment you will do it.
    So you would become a perfect target for snipers and Air.
    Such a mounted AA turret shoud be stronger than a double burster max (after full certing the turret out) and some kind of shield should protect the engy from the Airweapons (other infantry still can kill you as fast as always).
    • Up x 3
  4. Flamberge

How about something akin to the HAs lock-on AA launcher, but mounted on a turret? It would have the same type of cooldown as the engi AV turret, but it would still be able to do fair damage to air.
  5. Tamon

Engineers have plenty of things to do without needing an AA Turret. If you're feeling useless during an air zerg, stay near your Burster Maxes and keep their ammo topped up. They burn through it pretty quickly.
  6. Takara

Would have been a better idea then G2A missiles...deployable turrets that anyone can use like they had in PS1
  7. Liewec123

i'd be happy if they added AA turrets, rather than flak like burster though i'd like something like walker,
    firing high velocity bullets, a few engies firing flak without any skill would be a bit OP i feel, where as direct hit weapons atleast require some form of aiming :p
    • Up x 4
  8. St NickelStew

I would certainly vote "Yes". After AI and AV MANA, I thought that AA would naturally be the next one introduced, rather than ... the Spitfire.
    • Up x 2
  9. GaveYouHermes

I'm all for it. I'd love for engies to be able to help with all things vehicle related. Whether it's providing ammo to take them down, deploying mines and turrets to use against them, or repairing them, and supplying ammo to people helping take them down. I love the idea of somebody bringing in a bunch of gals and ESF and liberators and the enemy just responding with even more engineers to take them down.

Whatever the developers feel would be most balanced is my vote, whether flak or direct hit, as long as there's an option other than lock on rocket launchers.
    • Up x 2
  10. Problem Officer

Could just finish lockon launchers before considering anything new.
  11. Fry_Poncho

I support this idea.
    • Up x 2
  12. Gggy

Listen, a MANA AV Turret is already an AA weapon
    • Up x 1
  13. Dowlphin

This. Difficult to hit fast-moving targets, but hitting hard if they do, and flak is a lot of hit-and-miss, too, but noisy and annoying. And the AI turret can be used for the faster targets. Both turrets are limited in angle, but that's good.
    As a passionate engineer, I reject this idea. Engineers already have many tools to work with, but if they now can also fulfill AA, that would suck, because all classes should depend on other classes or at least vehicles and stationaries. I like it when as an engineer under heavy air attack I have to improvise or figure out how to deal with this. E.g. if you put up a Sunderer, you can use its guns. Even the standard ones have good deterrence potential. And if you deploy, people (including yourself!) can select heavy and use rocket launchers or MAX with AA weapons.

As is clear, there are so many options. I find many unit-based gameplay and balance things in PS2 quite good at this point. No more catering to convenience and want-to-have-everything-all-the-time.

Can anyone suggest this after they've piloted aircraft? Imagine every second engineer down there is a flak. It would be a nightmare.

Gaming theory speaking, wanting more and more solutions for stuff, treating the game's purpose like a problem to be solved, destroys the game. A game is an intentionally created problem that encourages people to hone their problem-solving skills. Asking the dev to remove the problem defeats the whole purpose.
  14. ZZYZX

Already existed in PS1. Killed it in PS2.

The Spitfire was essentially a miniature, automated Basilisk that would fire at ALL enemy targets...ground, air, personnel. It worked well. It wasn't OP. If several Engys worked together, a minefield of Spits could be challenging to get across.

Now, the Spitfire is not only mentally ******** and the size of a pickup truck, but it only does (very slight) damage to personnel and ignores vehicles.

Stupid. It worked so well before...they went and broke it.
  15. EarlofSunderer

More Engineers sitting in turrets?
    going to get some upvotes from players who love to snipe.
  16. Lucidius134

Why not mana ai turret but a walker with wider angles of aim
  17. prodavit

Well It would not be hard to put a skyguard on an engie turret. But I do feel that they should fix the splitfire first.
  18. theammostore

Why not just some kind of mine deployable? Takes up your turret slot, you put it down and it just constantly shoots upwards with flak. (In a cone, obviously). The flak explosions are visible, and anything flying into it gets nuked. How about that?
  19. CNR4806

It is going to render the AI turret obsolete, unless you put a firing angle restriction so strict the AA turret becomes useless.
  20. Liewec123

nah no need for that, just don't give it a shield so it looks kinda like the AV turret, that way AI turret stays far superior because it makes you harder to kill while you spray away :)