Hotfix 9/5

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by andy_m, Sep 4, 2014.

1. andy_m

Just a hotfix today... Nothing major it seems.

About the Valk updates, I'm not sure what "innate" means in context of rumble seat passengers and flak. But if it means that rumble seat passengers are no longer vunerable to flak, I would ask the question, "why is that?"

It is an open craft and peeps can shoot out. I can understand the requirement to reduce flak damage but why reduce it altogether?
    • Up x 3
  2. Shanther

They are just getting a built in resistance to flak otherwise people just get shredded by any sort of burster fire.
    • Up x 3
  3. BobSanders123

They took the lazy way out. The creative way would have been to add doors on each side that opened and closed.
    • Up x 1
  4. andy_m

Yeah, I know, but isn't that just a risk of flying in an open sided craft? And it is open sided so that you can use your own weapons, so I fell that this is an acceptable risk, otherwise you just have another small sized flying people carrier.

I can honestly say that, since the Valk came out I have only killed a couple of peeps in the rumble seat with my Burster. I think most people just bail...

Having said that, perhaps I've only been lucky enough to get the odd kill while my fellow flak users have been getting the majority, so I admit that my experience is not going to be truly representative.

I don't have any big gripes about this, I just thought I'd pose the question :)
  5. Shanther

They are not making them impervious to flak they are just giving them resistance. Basically if you wanted to ride in a rumble seat of a Valk you needed to run Flak armor.
  6. Alarox

Even then you still die extremely fast and as a pilot it is still difficult to keep you alive.
    • Up x 1
  7. Xasapis

You'll still need to run with flak armor most probably.
    • Up x 2
  8. andy_m

Perhaps Dave could eloborate at some point. His exact words are,

And I was just wondering what "innate" means. I've googled the word (because vocab has never been one of my strong points) and it doesn't seem to fit the sentence, or, at least, if it does then I can't work out if it means "more" resistance or "complete" resistance. I'm not trying to be clever or picky here, I just want to understand :)
  9. Xasapis

My guess is that the seat gives you a flak resistance by being there. For example, lets assume that it gives a fictional 50% resistance by sitting there. You also get 50% from the flak armor as infantry. You end up taking only 25% of the damage you'd be taking without either.
  10. Iridar51

I assume in this case it means "built-in", as in "doesn't require any actions from the user to be active". You're not required to play as a certain class, have a certain equipment, or press any buttons.

What is left unclear is that if passengers are completely invulnerable to flak, or just take reduced damage. Guess we'll have to find out.
    • Up x 1
  11. Gu7z

Much love for the Valk update, TY SOE. Flak rounds would eat up my passengers in seconds even with max flak armor.
    Still wanting a slight speed boost maybe 10%, wish i could cruise at 200kph instead of 170ish in a dive with max'ed out Speed AirFrame

Still wanting some more toys for the Pilot, like night vision, thermals, zoom or maybe even boosters or cloaking for them quick get aways.
    • Up x 2
  12. andy_m

Ah, right, I suppose that would make sense. Innate, as in "natural" or, like you say, "built-in." Thanks for helping me to grasp that (at least I think I have LOL).

So, your take on it would also mean that it wouldn't require you to have an prerequisite of flak armour. You could use what ever armour would suit your "on the ground."

And like you say, it remains to be seen if it is still possible to die from flak/explosions in a Valk...
  13. andy_m

Ah... is that so? This is what I am not aware of because I'm more than likely to be on the giving end. I suppose it would also depend on how much flak is being handed out too? If there are half a dozen Burster MAX around I guess that would be the main problem?
  14. squarebug

hopefully THEY FIX THE RADAR
  15. Gu7z

Once i took enough flak to drop me to 70% health or so witch only takes a few seconds from a buster Max or AA base Torrent , my whole crew would be dead. It happened so fast as a passenger i wouldn't even have time to press E and bail.
    • Up x 1
  16. Regpuppy

It's really, really bonkers. If you can get on and test it before the update. Just look at how quickly you die with 1-3 bursters or a single skyguard shooting at you. With the way flak works, it has a wide explosive radius when it explodes on an air vehicle. So if your vehicle is taking damage, so is your crew; all of it. When you consider how easy it is for an air vehicle to get 25-50% knocked off, you only need to remember that your vehicle has a lot more health than the average infantry. With innate resistance of its own.

I mean, the crew should take damage, don't get me wrong. But the damage was too extreme.
  17. ColonelChingles

I predict somehow this will mess things up even more:

1) Passengers will get an automatic flak armor buff while sitting in a Valk
    2) For whatever reason this buff won't be removed when they exit the Valk
    3) Also someone forgot to fix the problem where the flak armor buff becomes cumulative
    4) Resulting in infantry who have over 100% flak armor and end up getting healed when they take explosive fire on the ground

:p

In all seriousness though, just work out some kinda "deploy" shield on the Valks akin to the deploying doors on the Sunderer. When the shields are down, passengers are immune from flak damage and small arms damage but cannot shoot or exit the vehicle. Only when the shields are up can the passengers see, shoot, or jump out, but this makes them vulnerable to all sorts of damage again.

Because flak protection in empty air is just kinda silly.
  18. andy_m

I understand that now :)
  19. maxkeiser

Can someone clarify whether mouse smoothing is on at the moment i.e. pre-patch. After the patch will we be turning it off or leaving it on?

Also, what is the extra sensitivity slider they are talking about?
  20. Gu7z

IM IN LOVE! After Playing all night with the Updated Valk, I would like to rename it to the "Wasp"! Maneuverability with the tighter turning radius and sharper air breaks makes up for the low armor and speed. This makes my job as a "Wasp" pilot more effective with putting the gunner and crew on point with added options for attack and exit vectors thanks to the updated maneuverability.
    No longer feels like i am flying a 10 ton brick, it's got some moves now.

Keep up the good work SOE