hod do you even play without mouse acceleration?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by day ofm one, May 16, 2015.

1. Darkghostppl

How exactly you've turned mouse acceleration off? Did you tried removing it through the "windows mouse acceleration registry fix" and ingame?? If that's the case the problem might be that your new mouse has a higher polling rate (or DPI) than your old mouse, which means that your new mouse is more responsive (transfers information to your system quicker) and causing the impression of a high acceleration.
    Anyways the fact is that you've been using your old mouse for 3 years and it will take a while and consistency for your muscle memory to get used to your new mouse....
    • Up x 1
  2. Shiaari

This, definitely this. When I upgraded it took a week of hard play to acclimate.
  3. Dowlphin

When I switched from 400 to 4000 dpi, all I felt was delight.
  4. Hatesphere

When my DPI went up by half that I had to readjust for fine aim. Took me a few days.
  5. Wonabe

If u'r favourite acceleration comes from old logitech mouce or/and you'r used to quake 2/3 /gl mouseaccel settings you might like this
    http://accel.drok-radnik.com/
    • Up x 1
  6. Dowlphin

Sounds more like you would have had to readjust the mouse speed instead.
    I reduced my PS2 settings by the same factor that the DPI increased and everything was as I was used to, just a lot smoother, now subpixel-precise instead of jumping in 7-pixel steps.
  7. Hatesphere

no, I specifically wanted to have a faster mouse, so i left the settings the same and got used to it.
  8. Dowlphin

Then why did you imply it had anything to do with the gear? Your remark was misleading.
  9. day ofm one

I played with the standard Windows7 mouse acceleration.

Turned it back on by the way, I hit better while fighting against the acceleration than when I fight against the unaccelerated mouse.
  10. NinjaKirby

This threads been really enlightening, and is cause for me to experiment.

I also by default have always had Windows Mouse Acceleration turned on, and especially running a quad display setup I need it to get around the real estate without needing repeated mouse pad swipes, or needing ultra-fine hand movement to move the mouse in small increments when using higher DPI to compensate.
    Disabling it now is pretty weird, that my hand speed does not multiply the speeds of the cursor movement (But it also makes perfect sense, tracking only distance moved and ignoring acceleration should be "simpler").

I will have to try PS2 with and without, try some different DPI's.

Good thread is good.

Edit: It might also explain why the gaming mouse mat I have (and most seem to be) is super massive in dimensions, no acceleration with low-medium DPI would require a lot of IRL real-estate, heh.
  11. 00000000000000000000

You turn it off in the options.
    • Up x 1
  12. day ofm one

*sigh*

Reading the title does not qualify you to reply to a thread, read the post.
    • Up x 1
  13. 00000000000000000000

=3
    • Up x 1
  14. ronjahn

I can't stand mouse acceleration. Using a spear phalanx turret since the mouse acceleration update has been a chore. Regardless of sensitivity or mouse dpi it's impossible to get that thing to move faster then a snail.

Instead of mouse acceleration, I have an adjustable dpi mouse. I have 5 profiles set up that have different dpi settings. Depending on what I am doing, I may have around 1800dpi or 200dpi. For example, when flying an aircraft or using a pheeonix missile I have it at 1800, but when I'm playing infantry I'm about 650. When I switch to an AV mana turret I use about 200 so I can get those really precise movements.

I just can't stand having the game decide how my mouse moves around the screen.
  15. prodo123

Your hand position moves in the same manner when you go from point A to point B. The cursor does not because of acceleration. Hence most players have any and all kind of software layer between the mouse and the game off, including acceleration.
    If you want consistency, mouse acceleration will ruin any bit of it that you have.

Maximum mouse DPI has absolutely no effect on your mouse sensitivity. If you set it to the same DPI and turn acceleration off, they will move in the same manner. Sure, a better sampling rate will give you more precise results but if you lower your DPI (which you should) to the 100's it will not matter at all.

If you move one mouse an inch without acceleration at 400 DPI, it will have moved 400 pixels, and if you moved another mouse with the same setting it will also have moved 400 pixels. If you set your old mouse and your new mouse at the same DPI without acceleration, they will perform identically. You will "feel" each cursor moves differently because the mice have different shapes, contours and weights, all of which affect the way you move the mouse.

Mouse makers drive the sensitivity spec up to stupid amounts for bragging rights. Your cursor at 12,000 DPI will move from one end of a 1080p screens to the end of the 6th 1080p screen and then some, and that's with your mouse moving only 1 inch. Buying mice simply by looking at DPI is like buying a car by counting how many cupholders it has.

The only mouse number specs that should be important are number of customizable buttons, polling rate (most mice are 125Hz, mine is 1000Hz), static/kinetic friction coefficients (lower = less friction = better) and dimensions.

You are probably feeling a difference in polling rate. If you moved to a 500Hz mouse, your mouse will be reporting its position 4 times more often as the standard mouse, resulting in a "smoother" and more precise feel. Again, my mouse is 1kHz and makes this effect much more pronounced.

If I want precision movement I have a DPI switch button that brings down my base DPI (900) to a "scoped" DPI (500).

Please educate me on how acceleration holds any advantage at all over no acceleration plus DPI switch.
  16. day ofm one

No, this is just insane...

I again had to turn up my mouse sensitivity by 0.004, the ADS by 0.012 to get the same feeling I had yesterday.
    I am doing exactly that since weeks now, turning my sensitivity up every day to get the same mousespeed I had the day before.
  17. day ofm one

Your hand position moves in the same manner when you go from point A to point B. The cursor does not because of acceleration. Hence most players have any and all kind of software layer between the mouse and the game off, including acceleration.
    If you want consistency, mouse acceleration will ruin any bit of it that you have.

I had very good consistency witha cceleration, the acceleration stays the same, you just have to learn when it accelerates how much.

Maximum mouse DPI has absolutely no effect on your mouse sensitivity. If you set it to the same DPI and turn acceleration off, they will move in the same manner. Sure, a better sampling rate will give you more precise results but if you lower your DPI (which you should) to the 100's it will not matter at all.

If you move one mouse an inch without acceleration at 400 DPI, it will have moved 400 pixels, and if you moved another mouse with the same setting it will also have moved 400 pixels. If you set your old mouse and your new mouse at the same DPI without acceleration, they will perform identically. You will "feel" each cursor moves differently because the mice have different shapes, contours and weights, all of which affect the way you move the mouse.

Good to know that

Mouse makers drive the sensitivity spec up to stupid amounts for bragging rights. Your cursor at 12,000 DPI will move from one end of a 1080p screens to the end of the 6th 1080p screen and then some, and that's with your mouse moving only 1 inch. Buying mice simply by looking at DPI is like buying a car by counting how many cupholders it has.

Didn't buy it for the DPI ;)
    Bought it because i needed a big mouse for my big hands, it has a "sniping button" which I use for 3D modelling and it was available in a store not too far away.
    I don't really care about how much DPI a mouse has, as long as it is not too low (like 300 DPI ;D)

The only mouse number specs that should be important are number of customizable buttons, polling rate (most mice are 125Hz, mine is 1000Hz), static/kinetic friction coefficients (lower = less friction = better) and dimensions.

Can set my mouse Hz rate (it is on1000.)

You are probably feeling a difference in polling rate. If you moved to a 500Hz mouse, your mouse will be reporting its position 4 times more often as the standard mouse, resulting in a "smoother" and more precise feel. Again, my mouse is 1kHz and makes this effect much more pronounced.

If I want precision movement I have a DPI switch button that brings down my base DPI (900) to a "scoped" DPI (500).

That's what I meaned by sniping button, love that for precision movement at 3D modelling.

Please educate me on how acceleration holds any advantage at all over no acceleration plus DPI switch.

I am used to it and it allows me to be a lot more precise.
    You have to learn the acceleration of course, but when you got that you can be a lot more precise (at least that's my experience).
    That's what I meant by too slow in CQC combat, too fast in long range.
    Acceleration allows me to fix that.
  18. prodo123

Acceleration works by multiplying sensitivity as a function of mouse movement speed. You don't know "when" it will accelerate, you will know how much your cursor movement will change depending on how fast you will move your mouse.

That being said, acceleration is minimal in microadjustments while aiming. The acceleration becomes an issue when you're turning and looking around, responding to sudden targets on your screen, anything you need to move your mouse quickly to respond to. These sudden movements make it extremely difficult for players to play with acceleration, because whatever sudden jerks that they get when they get jumped on will send their cursor flying to outer space.

You have adapted to this, though. You, probably like I, can write a sentence with the mouse in Photoshop, do edits on the pixel level, and snipe n00bs with dumbfires. However, even if you adapted to the acceleration of your mouse, it is not only imprecise but also disadvantageous to do so.

Muscle memory usually links one sensory reaction to another. For me, 1:1 acceleration links my arm movement to the feeling of my 4th and pinky fingers on the mousepad (which gets them all dirty :( ). For other players it's the sheer feel of the friction between the mouse and the pad that allows them to track the mouse position. Playing with 1:1, you know exactly where the cursor will be, exactly how fast it will get there, and exactly how it will get there, matching exactly where your mouse is going without even thinking about it.

However, responding to acceleration is a naturally reactive process. Acceleration is a measure between two points in time, whereas location is a fixed point in space independent of time. For you, you have to track visual reaction as well to see how the cursor responds to your movements since acceleration necessitates it, and despite your deftness with your mouse you will always act reactively to the cursor's movement. And on top of that, input lag for displaying the cursor dramatically worsens the problem since the cursor does not update instantly. As a result you get an added minimum lag of 16.7ms for a 60Hz monitor frame update, plus the response time of your monitor (2-12 ms, more than double with IPS as compared to normal TN), plus your framerate which if under 60fps will take over the monitor refresh rate, plus your actual sensory processing and muscle response.

You can argue all you want but acceleration adds a layer of thought processing that impedes your ability to react, even if you "learn" the acceleration. The difference in cursor movement (as well as the delayed response, but not as much) is significant enough that it inhibits the performance of many players here including me, and probably (and unknowingly) you as well.

Players tend to play much better with DPI under 1000, some going as low as 200. 300 is a very good DPI to play with since it allows you to adjust aim with extreme precision.
    • Up x 1
  19. Dowlphin

Just use "improved pointer precision" in Windows if you like it and use raw mouse input without the dynamic acceleration in PS2.
  20. omfgweeee

Can i ask what mouse you guys using? I may have to buy new one very soon, my curent is 5 years old and i have the feeling it will stop work any second now.

Thinking for logitec 502 if someone have one please share your experience.