hod do you even play without mouse acceleration?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by day ofm one, May 16, 2015.

1. day ofm one

I played with mouse acceleration for 3 years.

A while ago I got a new mouse, which seems to have a faster mouse acceleration, so it is impossible to play with acceleration now (it simply accelerates differently, the old one was increasing with speed quite slowly, the new one goes crazymode as soon as I move faster, no more acceleration control is possible).

So, I turned the mouse acceleration off and have another problem:

On short distance, the mouse is too slow, while on longer distance it is just too fast.

How can people even play without mouse acceleration?
    Is there some trick I missed?

With mouse acceleration I could simply move the mouse slower or faster, depending on the range, the acceleration did its thing and voilà, I stayed on target just depending on the speed I move my mouse with.

Now without acceleration I am constantly fighting against my mouse, I can't compensate recoil enough while I struggle to keep the crosshair just somewhere close to the enemy.

(Also title typos.)
  2. maxkeiser

I would ask exactly the opposite question.

How the hell does anyone play WITH mouse acceleration? I mean, wtf?

I want the mouse to respond exactly to my movements, not accelerate according to speeds etc. Mouse acceleration is just abhorent. I absolutely hate it.

As far as I'm aware, most players don't use it.
    • Up x 5
  3. Rogueghost

Whenever teaching people to start improving their gunplay the first step is making sure they have mouse acceleration off.

I'm a bit curious on how you could play properly with it on.
    • Up x 2
  4. day ofm one

It is pretty simple.

A mouse always accelerates in the same manner.

As soon as you know which movement speed results in which in game speed, you got it.

New mouse, new strenght of the acceleration, unuseable with acceleration, had to turn it off :(
  5. Hatesphere

As one of few players who plays with acceleration on (it can provide far more control then people give it credit for) your, acceleration did not change. The DPI of your mouse likely did so its magnifying your acceleration curve.
  6. day ofm one

Ah, that can be it...

Old mouse 3000-4000 DPI (not sure), new one 12.000 DPI

Is it possible to change the acceleration curve?
  7. Hatesphere

It would be easier to match the old DPI If your mouse driver let's you set it. For windows you have to edit your registry to change the curve.
  8. Stigma

It's all about what you get accustomed to.

With or without acceleration - neither is any more random or uncontrollable than the other (assuming that the acceleration factor is CONSISTENT, which is not always the case if it is software-based).

As long as you keep the controls the same and allow muscle memory to build, using or not using acceleration is just a matter of taste. The reason I think acceleration has gotten such a bad reputation is because as mentioned - if it varies it ***** up everything - and and often you can't adjust it properly to match your preferred setup - so just disabling it altogether is an easier type of setup to manage and maintain.

If you are using one or the other and need to switch there is nothing you can do but grit your teeth and DO it. It will suck... and it will take a long while to readjust, but eventually your brain will rewire if you just throw enough time at it. The fact that this process sucks so much is exactly why experienced gamers go through so much trouble to keep their settings the same across games.

-Stigma
  9. Xiad

You are going to get plenty of incredulous people asking how you coped with things like quick aiming and the like with mouse accel on. Rightfully so, to be honest. Whilst it isn't debateable that people CAN get used to such things with enough experience, there is no avoiding the increase in complexity of the control setup. You would be hard pushed to argue that one could be as precise with both distance AND speed as with just distance, in terms of mouse movement variables. You could say that you can make more versatile (long and short) moves with mouse accel on, but that point is made irrelevant by the fact that there are seperate sensitivities for hipfire, ADS and scoped views. For example, set hipfire sens to something you can do a 180 with in a reasonable space, ADS to something much finer than that and scoped to about the same or more. Problem solved.

Also, I don't quite understand how you are struggling with recoil compensation. You must be running at very low sensitivity. If it's more than a centimetre you pull in regular gameplay, I'd be baffled. Then again, I guess it does depend a little on your equipment; I've had this same mouse/mat combo for years and I'm now used to being accurate within millimetres.

But yeah, Tl;dr - accel isn't as precise as no accel, with the same experience (and probably even with a bias to accel). The game provides methods to deal with the problem. Play around with your settings and experiment.
  10. day ofm one

Mouse DPI 1800, in game 0.479, I just recoils up faster than I can pull down.
  11. Grumblefern

There's good mouse acceleration that even pro FPS players use in certain games. It's harder to set up and most games don't have options for it.

Then there's your typical mouse acceleration that is unpredictable and a detriment to your aim. You definitely want to avoid this.

Here's some general info on it -

http://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/comments/1l8vy4/the_case_for_mouse_acceleration/

For PS2 it's probably just best to play with no mouse accel. The transition will feel strange but you can't develop a feel for how far you have to move your mouse with unpredictable mouse accel. In the long run you will be better off learning to play with it off.
  12. Shiaari

I use mouse acceleration, and I also use mouse "deceleration," too. My Sensei will drop the DPI like a stone when I begin to make fine mouse movements. It's pretty handy when you get the hang of it. =D
    • Up x 1
  13. KnightCole

My question is how do you play WITH acceleration? I hate accel....move the mouse a little and it goes no where, then suddenly it takes off like a jet.....I hate accel and smoothing.....I prefer a standard, all the time, constant moderate sensitivity.
  14. Hatesphere

i
    Its just like learning anything else. It has its advantages and disadvantages.
  15. day ofm one

You get experienced with it, pretty easy ;)

A lot easyer than no in my opinion.
  16. Dowlphin

Most chaotic and contradictory writings ever. All I get out of it is "Mouse feels weird, I'm confused. What do?"
    Core problem seems to be confusion of on/off states of mouse acceleration.
  17. day ofm one

What it actually is, is the mousesensitivity feeling different after a game restart, no matter if using mouse acceleration or not.
  18. Lucidius134

When there is frame studdering or loss of FPS it ***** w/ mouse acceleration which is why no one generally uses it. It isn't consistant if performance isn't, and incosistant performance is the name of the game in ps2.
  19. Hatesphere

This isn't exactly true. If you are only using the built in windows acceleration. It's no different then when the game takes a **** without it. I have years of experience both with and without it. The main problem with acceleration is that doing something as inocent as changing you screen resolution can change how it reacts. Mouse acceleration is not for the faint of heart, you have to be really **** about your settings, that's it.
  20. Shiaari

[IMG]

This is my mouse interface.

• Exactsens is just the DPI setting. There's two, toggled by a button on top of the mouse.
    • Exactlift adjusts how high I can lift the mouse before it loses tracking.
    • Exactaccel is the mouse acceleration you're familiar with. Mine is set to only begin accelerating when it is being moved really fast. It makes my "twitch" more effective.
    • Exactaim is the opposite. It's mouse deceleration, and when I start moving the mouse very slowly with fine control it immediately drops the DPI. It accelerates back to normal the moment I resume normal movement.
    • Freemove is the amount of cursor correction the mouse makes. It makes drawing a straight line easier, making more precise recoil compensation easier. I have mine set to the middle.
    When using external software like this to manage your mouse, its important to do as much as possible to effectively disable the game's control of your mouse. I do that by reducing all sensitivities to near 0.