Higby's response on why there is no underslung MCG makes no sense!

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Terrorantula, Nov 30, 2012.

1. slannmage

I just don't get why weapons in this game have no personality, the variety in Planetside was much better, every weapon in Planetside 2 feels the same.
  2. Louis Farrakhan

imo when the game has stabilized they need to go back to these weapons and redo most of the designs
  3. JojoTheSlayer

Ahh PhotoShop, you make me LoL again. :p

On the subject though I think its made the way it was because then they didnt need to reanimated the hand movements and placement. The MCG is held like any other weapon now. Dont really mind though. The MCG isnt as good as it was in PS1, but its fun to use, you have suppression effect and you get some kills with it. Its also decent at medium range if kneeled vs fully open target.

Havent tested the Lasher yet, but the Jackhammer sucks.
    Just be glad your Empire dosent have that peace of S.
  4. Bags

The biggest issue is the redisgn just looks awful.
  5. Arsenicfrog

They had trouble with the animations so they just took the easy way out.
  6. BuzzCutPsycho

That doesn't apply to MAX suits though right? Go get a SCAT MAX, stand behind cover that covers your arms and fire over it.

How is that any different than an under-slung HA?
  7. Cyridius

The problem from someone who will be getting shot at by this - if you have an underslung weapon and it still shoots over cover(The only change I see coming if any tbh), I wouldn't be able to see your weapon, if you're the guy shooting me etc because the cover blocks it.
    While I agree guns in PS2 distinctly lack personality, this shouldn't be changed.
  8. Emperor

One thing that gets me about the dev's reasoning is that waist-high cover isn't even prevalent in this game. There are 15 non-unique types of buildings in this game, and less than a handful of uniquely-designed ones, such as tech plants or the main amp station building. Some facilities, like biolabs, are just a bunch of non-unique buildings clustered under a dome.

I've been going through and taking screenshots of the rooms in each building type and labeling them (outfit tactics stuff), and I've found that most don't even HAVE waist-high cover. There's full-body cover, such as the large computer terminals or NS canisters, but there are very few places that have a single waist-high box, computer console, rail, or other form of cover.

Look at the layout of the tech plant, for example. There's no waist-high cover in the vehicle bay. There's no waist-high cover at the big ramp where players often park sundies. There's FULL BODY cover in the lockers, but no cover around the spawn teleporter. If you go upstairs, there cannon provides full-body cover, but there's no waist-high cover along the catwalks (unless you're shooting down from the rail, but that means nothing when fighting is taking place entirely upstairs), there's no waist-high cover near the capture point.

How about the generator room in the biolab? There's no waist-high cover on the main stairs, there's no waist-high cover on the short stairs, there's no waist-high cover at the bridges. The only waist-high cover that's in most biolab gen rooms is that there is sometimes a computer console on the bottom floor, towards the main stairs. The rest of that room is completely open, and nevermind all the other open areas and buildings sans waist-high cover within the biolab.

What about all the open areas outside facilities? I've come across a lot of full-body cover rocks, but not so many waist-high cover rocks.

So exactly where IS all this waist-high cover that is supposed to be blocking the MCG?
    • Up x 1
  9. SpankyH

make it shoulder mounted, like a rocket launcher. It would be a bit different from what you would usually expect from a minigun, but it would look like a heavy weapon, rather than some weird gatling rifle, it could shoot over cover, and you wouldnt need new body animations, since you could just use the rocket launcher anims.
  10. Kyutaru

Simple solution is just have the bullets originate from our eyeballs. Then we can stare people to death.
  11. Deathrus

bwhahahaha LOL. I LOVE THIS.
  12. UberBonisseur

No, really, switch the HA-specific weapons to the 3rd slot.

It would solve that "hipfire" problem, since you can just switch the the LMG if blocked by cover.
  13. VoidMagic

I think the new model looks pretty cool. /shrug
  14. SixVoltSamurai

TAKE MY MONEY NOW.
  15. RomulusX

Just curious, I'm no developer/coder/modeler myself...but to take the OP's idea and just adding one to the market...how long does something like that take?
  16. hostilechild

Tell you what, i will trade you my Jackhammer for you MCG :rolleyes: It never seems to have a problem killing me from 1m to 100m still trying to figure out where this 1sec spin up is they talk about or is its mag so big it just fires non stop as they walk around. They should be immoblized while using it :p

If bullets come from where they are suppose to, why do i get sniped from a sniper behind a rock or wall when only their head is visible? Lag where i missed them stand and shoot?
  17. Edelhonk

I give a **** on cover

the MCG is a ASSAULT weapon...its for short range fights up to 50m-60m max (yeah...i know you can kill ppl over greater distances, but every other gun will have a better TTK there).
    MCG should be a "Come around a corner, activate your shield, hold the MCG in the general direction of the incoming enemys and pi$$ in the wind till the mag is empty and the field infront of you is filled with dead bodies looking like swiss chess!"-weapon.
    The problem...they didnt let ppl even try the underslung MCG...it was never tested by the comunity.
    Get rid of the spin-up time, keep the damage accuracy and rate of fire and make it underslung and let ppl actually try this MCG version. I bet you will find a lot of TR players who are happily give up "Cover" for such a Version of the MCG.
  18. Pudgeinabowl

False, it was already in the game and able to be held and fired by a HA during the early days. You can find old screenshots of heavy assaults posing and firing their MCGs.

Devs are pretty damned clued on, use your daily reservoir of whine to get the magrider nerfed and the rendering issues fixed so we can have our skep launchers functional again.