Higby's response on why there is no underslung MCG makes no sense!

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Terrorantula, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Terrorantula

http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=planetside_220121129

The question was asked about the underslung MCG at 05:46 and Higby said because you couldn't shoot over cover. So the guy added onto the question that the person who asked said he liked to just run and gun and not take cover so it wouldn't matter to him. Higby they said that the people who like the MCG tend to just run and gun........... Yeah Exactly Higby so why change the model for taking cover?

Is it so hard to have two model types in the game? Besides why does the MCG have to work with cover? All you've done is taken the personality of the gun out of the game, we already have loads of other HA weapons that do this, why can't we have one that is different?

We have a store in the game, at least let us buy the model we want, you'd be making money and we who want the underslung MCG would be happy.

It just makes no sense what so ever to take it out completely, it isn't like you couldn't keep both models, I mean you originally had 3 different types of MCGs on the store in beta, though two were locked.
  2. UberBonisseur

It's funny because the height of most barriers and security in this game screw up "shooting over cover"

You can't shoot over them when crouched

Anyway, this problem could have been solved by putting heavy weapons on slot 3...
  3. Terrorantula

Besides you aim at peoples heads because there are headshots and you're exposed in cover, it's much better to move around. The only time you take cover is behind a wall where you cannot be seen so your shield recharges lol. It isn't like you cannot jump on the railings, I always jump straight over them, take fall damage and shoot **** up.

I die a lot but I kill a lot too, that is fun for me and that is what a MCG should be all about.

Why design every gun the same? The MCG feels no different from all the other HA weapons and it isn't even good, I end up using the Carv lol.
  4. Terrorantula

All the guns are like that though, I mean I cannot tell the difference between a shotgun and a rifle by just looking at the picture and when I've been killed by a Jack Hammer, it doesn't feel or sound like a shotgun, it's more like a silenced rifle lol.
    • Up x 1
  5. Heero

[IMG]

Fix'd
    • Up x 23
  6. HvcTerr

Have you ever played TF2? Do you know the Heavy Weapons Guy and how he holds his gun? That huge chaingun, held low?

Guess what! It actually shoots bullets from near the player's eyeballs.

PS2 is no different from almost any other modern FPS in this regard: There's a lot of sleight-of-hand that needs to be done in order to avoid gameplay issues. Moving the actual emission-point of the bullets down to your "real" waist is going to cause problems. Just for starters, either it can't fire over walls that don't look like they'd be a problem, or else with close enemies you'll need to aim-high to avoid wasting your ammo against the floor by their feet.

The best you can hope for is a TF2-like implementation, where it fires the same as it does now, and just looks like it does what you're asking for. A cosmetic change, not a gameplay one.
  7. Terrorantula

Do that, do anything, just get rid of that ugly model we have now, I wanna feel like a badass with a MCG and not like I'm holding any other HA weapon but with a delay on the fire.
  8. Whisenhunt

The issue we'd run in to is that we show true projectile positions rather than hiding them like most games, it helps the player understand how ballistics in our massive game works.

Also, TF2 chain gun is hit scan vs ours which is not.
  9. absolofdoom

Either way it's just a great way to get shot while you're begging your gun to actually start firing.
  10. HvcTerr

Well you could show everyone else "placeholder" projectiles which started from a different spot and gradually and not-quite-ballistic-ally converge with the "actual bullet" seen by the shooter... But yeah, still a pain.

True, but I don't think it changes the discussion too much unless the issue of latency and lag-compensation comes into it. Still, a more-apples-to-apples comparison would be the spinfusor from the Tribes franchise. (Flies in straight lines, basically a sci-fi rocket launcher.) A lot of Tribes:Ascend players never realize it, but it basically fires from what the player's right cheek rather than the weapon-barrel. Moving the gun down to waist or knee-height would (like with PS2) make the illusion much harder to maintain.
  11. Gary

Nailed it. The reasoning makes perfect sense just people been arrogant and acting all "want want want" Nothing wrong with the current chaingun it does the job and doesn't get obstructed by cover.
  12. banz

you win!!
  13. Zaik

I kind of hoped we were past this.

I can understand the initial reaction, but if they'd actually released a gun that couldn't shoot over waist high walls while standing it would have caused an outrage pretty much equal to Lasher 1.0 and you all know it.
  14. Bamboozled

Well, for every TR player who want's the "character" of the mini-gun shot from the hip, there is at the very least one TR player who will complain that the Jackhammer and especially the lasher can be fired from cover. It is an obvious you can't please everyone at once issue.

If the argument become that heavy weapons should all fire from the hip (and not fired from cover), then that's asking for far more then cosmetic changes.

Then again, if this is what it takes to get the jackhammer more into the heavy weapon class and out of the "special shotgun" class, I'll be very happy :)
  15. Terrorantula

I don't see how people can be so blind to the store, have the nasty model we have now as standard, then put a variant on the store for people who want to buy the underslung one. It offends no one and creates revenue, I mean why else have a store in the game if you cannot sell different weapon types? Although if you don't want a MCG then you should USE SOMETHING ELSE!
  16. Jannepanel

I think Mr. Higby has to realize that the tradeoff with this perticular gun would be that is not perticularly useful from a cover standpoint. Wanna be able to use cover with your gun? well theres a bunch of others that allow just that.
  17. Louis Farrakhan

even if the default MCG doesnt use the underslung model, i would like at least one of the variants to use this model.

unable to fire over cover is a tradeoff, so just give the model other benefits.

just want the devs to know that i would pay station cash for the underslung without a thought.
  18. UberBonisseur

The lasher was designed to be fired from the hip from earlier concepts though
  19. Heero

Make it underslung, remove the spin-up delay and have the fact it can't be used in cover as its trade-off...

Lasher = slow moving Orbs
    Jackhammer = super-short range
    MCG = slow movement speed and can't be used in cover
  20. Pronix

Or you could do what most games in this genre do and make it so when the wall is too close you holster your weapon model in a way you cannot shoot, that way the player will know if the target he aims at will get hit or he needs to expose himself a bit more to line his shot.

There's no reason to shoot a wall from 0 feet.