Higby tweets "rebalance" for shotguns in GU06.

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by IntergalacticYoghurt, Mar 28, 2013.

1. IntergalacticYoghurt

A lot of you probably saw my Phoenix thread. At first, I was skeptical about a Phoenix nerf, but since have totally come around. 5 rockets on spawn usually guarantees me at least 3-4 'safe' kills.
    That's before even before whipping out my primary weapon.

So I'm an NC who owns and loves his Phoenix, ADMITTING that its OHK ability on infantry is totally overkill.

...BUT.

Don't nerf shotguns.

Shotguns are great.. They reward positioning and aim over versatility and range. Yes, they can one or two-hit-kill up close, but put a little distance out there, and pretty much all other weapons destroy you. Including pistols.

If you're having trouble with shotgun campers... That's EXACTLY what concussion, flash bang and smoke grenades are for.

I will concede that auto-shotguns seem slightly overkill - though I don't seek any way to balance them without ruining the semi's.

On a final anecdotal note; I bought the NS-11c today. Nice weapon, but not a CQC beast.
    So guess what? I played to the weapons strengths and engaged at mid-range, and preformed very well with the weapon.

Most people just rush head-in to CQC. That's fine if you have a shotgun or SMG... But if not, perhaps hold back a bit and play to your weapons strengths. I promise, the advantage the shotguns have inside, is totally negated the second you start putting a little space between you and the shotguns owner.
  2. Rhyl

No Pump Actions were the only ones in need of a nerf. They excel in both close to medium range combat. Some people haven't caught onto that. A pump with slugs can two shot someone in the chest (not hard to hit in the chest) before they can even drop your shields. Even with slugs it's one shot to the head. You attach a scope to it and it's a one shot kill to the head up to 20 meters. In which case 20 meters and beyond it's a two shot kill to the head with no scope sway. The pump action doubles as a cqc master weapon and a better and more effective damaging scout rifle all wrapped up in one.

You mentioned in your post "most people just rush into cqc and that's fine with an smg.." no it isn't. Rushing in CQC with an smg (despite being designed for CQC) is suicide against a shotgun. The Shotgun outperforms the SMG in every possible way. It's completely superior. Likewise, it's superior to the automatic shotguns as well which have similar TTK to the SMG. Most complaints come from the Pump Actions. It's possible to beat an SMG with a LMG in CQC. If you shoot for the head and the smg user shoots for the body you're going to win this fight. Even if you aim at the target's head with a lmg the shotgun user can pop you in the chest before you can drop them. If they fire at your head as you do you're one shotted.

So with skill and due to the TTK SMG leaves enough room for you to be the better marksman and win the engagement. Not so for the shotty. The shotty will win hands down everytime unless the person is truly abyssmal.
    • Up x 5
  3. PS2Freak

hm, i waited for second shotgun to buy one , after i got auraxium on my piston - now i rethink it again.
  4. Octopinky

When the choice of shotguns came down to the automatic and the semi-automatics, rarely did I ever see any complaint about them. Only after the shotgun range buff and especially the pump-action shotgun release did I start noticing people getting angry. I think Planetside 2 had perfectly-balanced shotguns back then, but no attention was given to it.
    • Up x 5
  5. KnightCole

So the NS11C is a shotgun? I havent logged into the game since it arrived.
  6. OddChelsea

No, it's a carbine. A pretty neat one at that even if it's not the strongest.
  7. Ghoest

The old shotguns were fine for 4 months .

Then they introduce a new over powered shot gun.

Now they want to nerf them all.
    • Up x 5
  8. toxs

Shotgun Ranks
    -Claw
    -Piston
    -Others
    -Jackhammer
  9. Turiel =RL=

If they screw my Piston (even more) in the GU06, that will be the curtain for this game. I am not going to waste my time with this any longer.
  10. MasterTater

THIS NERF WAS SO OBVIOUSLY INCOMING :)

And it is so neccessary ! I hope they especially hit all those pay to win cash shop b-y-...tches which bought the pump action or still roam in the completely skillfree Scattermax which oneshots every infantry unit with absolutely no skill required.

THMUBS UP from my side SOE.
  11. MasterTater

Yes I hope so - cause this game does not need completely skillfree pay to win mor..ns which replace consecutive focused aiming and skill required on normal weapons by completely skillfree shot guns made for cash shop donkeys.

:rolleyes: TY for leaving this game as NC player => bringing balance to server pop. :confused:
  12. Kinmaul

The biggest issue with shotguns are the slugs; they are far too accurate for how much damage they deal. I use the auto shotgun and I can regularly kill people at ranges (I fire it like a semi or pump when at range) where they would toast me if I was using pellets. Who knows what SoE will end up doing, but I hope the initial nerf involves reducing the damage of slugs. Right now its 1 to the head and 2 to the body at typical engagement ranges, if they changed the damage so that it's 2 to the head and 3 to body that would help a lot.

Also I'm an average player; a FPS pro with a slug shotgun has to be a beast.
    • Up x 2
  13. MattGL

Well f me in the a. I just bought the full auto tr shotgun today.

Can anyone link or copy pasta the tweet?

I guess I'm going to have to make a Twitter account so I don't get screwed again in the future.
  14. ladiesop

Consecutive Focussed aiming will still lose to spraying hipfire left and right while ADADADAD. At least the shotgun user actually has to aim and shoot.

Shotguns were considered fine, or even week for the first few months in the game. The complaints only started with the pump action.

Slugs are a shock, but they really do what the battle rifle should be doing in the first place. At medium ranges, pretty much every non SMG automatic weapon will kill faster, and is harder to mess up with movement. Slugs are a great training tool though.
  15. Kociboss

Matthew Higby@mhigby
    @McRawffles Scat MAXes will be getting a balance pass in GU06 along with all shotguns - the main MAX update will be a bit later.
  16. Knarfis

Well this isnt very good news.

I was just going to by the Sweeper but now that there is going to be some kind of fix/nerf or whatever I am having second thoughts. Does anyone know what will be changed?? How will the Semi's be effected being they are the least of the shotties that are being complained about??

Oh what to do, what to do.....
  17. ladiesop

The original shotguns were in since release, with no complaints. In threads, there was discussion that maybe they were a too weak, and weak overall as you limit yourself to such a short range.

The complaining has only really happened recently, like in the last month.
  18. JesNC

They were adjusted in beta, largely due to the same reasons people complain about pump-action shotguns now.
  19. Sebyos

If the game only had semi auto shotties, and no pump nor auto shotties, it would be amazing.
    • Up x 3
  20. Selerox

Pump actions need a nerf. No other shotgun needs anything changing. The only thing maybe that might be needed maybe is a slight toning down of the auto-shotgun ROF.
    • Up x 2