Higby Asks: if there is a hole in a weapon lineup, better to modify an existing weapon, changing it

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Regpuppy, Mar 6, 2014.

1. DevDevBooday

TRV and TAR. Both are almost the exact same gun competing for the same role. Close Quarters

Same for GR-22 and Carnage (though they differ at least slightly)

VS have Corvus and HV-45, a long range and close range 250 cert weapons respectively. VS have CHOICE, the other factions dont.
  2. Flashtirade

You know what, I would like to see the SAW's ammo capacity be cut in half to 50, and we'll see how "godly" it is then.
  3. Hoki

The damages are based on bullets to kill, so in your example the bull and the rhino are identical.

If you want to introduce new damage tables, probably base the numbers around NW5.
    179 - 157
    157 - 139
    139 - 125
    125 - 114
    You get the idea.

The difference here being that the T32 bull takes 7min 8max rounds to kill non-NW and 9min 10max to kill NW5 at long range.
    The disparity is two bullets.

Different damage tables can lower the disparity to one bullet, while making the damage table slightly worse against non-NW, and slightly better against NW.

Where does the 155 - 134 com from?
    • Up x 1
  4. Regpuppy

The difference between the NC ones is pretty much the same as for the TR ones. Except I found the higher RoF TAR more attractive than the TRV. Where as I found the Carnage more attractive than the GR 22 (the slightly higher rof doesn't make up for it being nearly impossible to control)
  5. DevDevBooday

Yes, they are practically the same. Carnage has slightly more range capability though.

TRV is the higher rate of fire gun btw, funnily enough it is supposed to be our 'ranged' option but its damage degradation over distance is identical to the TAR.

Both NC and TR need a proper 250 cert ranged option
    eg 167 damage and compensators. (like the corvus)
    • Up x 1
  6. Regpuppy

Is it? Then I must be mistaken. Been awhile since I dicked around on my TR alts medic.

Definitely an option our AR's are missing.

Edit:

I also suggest that, like how NC has the DMR/ACX/Saw that TR and VS should have something that's just the extreme of their traits somehow in EVERY category. Even if the damage category needs to go down to SMG levels, TR should have a max allowable Rof LMG/AR/Carbine and VS should have some flashy laser thing I can't think up for theirs. That's one thing NC has over the other factions right now, even if we don't all like it 100%.
    • Up x 1
  7. DevDevBooday

Thats also a funny aspect.
    TR are the RoF faction yet NC have the highest rate of fire carbine (Gd-7F, 845 rpm, 143 damage) AND the AC-11X, 480 rpm, 200 damage carbine
    NC have the TRs carbine AND the NC's carbine.

What does TR have? The Jaguar, 750rpm, 143 damage and the Lynx, 800rpm, 143 damage carbine.

Now which faction do you think has more variety?
    • Up x 1
  8. Regpuppy

Eh, to be fair. The ACX-11 is sort of bad. The NC trait doesn't work so well with carbines.
  9. AssaultPig

god, the acx-11 is so bad. So, so bad.

anyway many faction weapon groups have two highly similar guns. TRV and TAR, serpent and VX6-7, EM6 and SAW S, jaguar and lynx, etc. (this is a big part of why it'd be better to repurpose these weapons than add new ones.) I don't really have a problem with the ranged or the CQC option for a particular faction/class being more expensive; every faction has that issue somewhere. NC only get one proper CQC carbine and it costs 1000/700, for example.

ed: also note that VS also get an 845/143 carbine. The difference between 800/143 and 845/143 isn't really that big though
  10. DevDevBooday

Honestly id just like to swap the GD-7F for the Lynx, NC would have a higher rate of fire option over the AC and TR would have a good faction specific alternative to the Jaguar.
  11. Hibiki54

Duh. The SAW has a big first shot multiplier, also. But I have never had a problem with it's bloom.
  12. Taemien

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
  13. Axehilt

PS2 sells weapons.

This implies that players are buying a weapon in it's current role.

This implies that changing a weapon's role will mostly just piss players off because they bought one type of weapon and it switched to be something different.

The balance of a weapon can change. But not the way it performs its role.

So new content is the clear choice. New content:
    • Fills the new role, solving the design gap.
    • Helps SOE's business goals. (Content = SC dump = more SC purchases)
    • Avoids undermining SOE's business goals. (Players are less likely to buy weapons over time if the weapons they've bought before constantly shift to different roles they didn't buy the weapon for.)
  14. KnightCole

But I like the security 100 or even 200 rounds gives me. I often reload and find myself melee halting my reloads now a days, I have that bad chronic reload habit as well.

I would never wanna lose mah EM6 lol. Id never trade it for the Anchor.
  15. Long Dong

I somewhat wonder what exactly Vanu traits are actually. No bullet drop matters for very few rather obscure loadouts only. Apart from that there is nothing left. If it was accuracy then NC seem to be the most accurate ones, and SoE appears to nerf Vanu further to keep it at that.
    TR Still have their highest ammo count and NC their highest damage weapons, why should they get another useful trait on top of these?