Higby Asks: if there is a hole in a weapon lineup, better to modify an existing weapon, changing it

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Regpuppy, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Epic High Five

And, well, if you're not playing HA. It's a very good shotgun, but it's still just a shotgun and thus, will not appeal to the people who just don't like shotguns like myself. You say it does less damage than other shotties but I invite you to actually graph the different curves out. I think you'll find that the Mattock/Jackhammer's 112@12 - 70@30 does substantially more damage than any other shotguns starting at 11 meters. It ain't the mag, or the alt fire, or anything else that makes these guns great, it's the damage curve.

But despair not! I am 100% certain that the NS shotgun will have this damage curve as well, so soon these guns will be quite obsolete again I am sure.

Hey buddy, I've been tootin' the NC horn since day 1. I may not always be positive and some of our stuff is legit garbage but overall, we've got the best stuff available to us and of the greatest variety.
  2. Epic High Five

I'm okay with the TR getting a 167 damage carbine, but it can either have free exmags or easy recoil, but not both. 143/40 is bad enough , 167/40 without making any sacrifices would be too much. Even the NS guns get their dps crushed and they only have +5 rounds. It'd have to be 167/30, which at 550rpm (like the Razor and Pulsar C) 30 is more than enough.
  3. Gundem

I meant raw burst damage. When shotgun damage is talked about, they are generally talking about how the Jackhammer only does 112 damage per pellet instead of 134. When I use the Jackhammer, I tend to be in pretty close quarter combat. But yes, you are correct, when the big Shotgun range nerf got passed around, the Jackhammer was excluded. All other standard shotguns have exponentially higher damage drop off, going from 134 damage at 5(?) meters to 40ish at 35ish meters.

The Jackhammer decided it would have Carbine damage drop instead.

Which is still another reason why I say it's the best! It just has the best of everything.

Even more hilarious, is when I pointed out the variety and versatility of the NC arsenal, I was flamed to high hell.

Sure, I deserved it, but I was still right!

Can I ask though, as someone who is experienced with NC weapons, is it odd that I perform best with the Gauss SAW within 30 meters?
    I don't have it fully kitted out yet, but currently I use a x2 Reflex and Forward Grip. 7/10 engagements, I aim for head and win. But everyone says the Gauss SAW is best for long range?
  4. Epic High Five

That's not weird at all, that's my experience with it as well. People think I'm crazy but I've got 5k SAW kills and the majority were CQC.

People assume the 200/500 guns are low dps and will be terrible up close, but the truth is that they have better dps than 143/698 weapons (SVA-88, CARV-S, Solstice, Pulsar, LSW, etc) and using high damage rounds brings very real benefits like headshots causing more flinch than a 7F, fewer rounds required to do anything, more likely to score a kill than having the target escape with 2 health, and much much much better performance when the distances suddenly open up and a gun with lots of horizontal recoil and 112 minimum damage becomes a huge liability. In that scenario, you're sitting on 167 minimum damage and the best burst accuracy in the game.

I love the SAW, and because I'm not a shotgun guy, it was literally the only LMG I'd ever use for a long time. Nowadays I'd probably take the GD-22S in for close up work but that's literally only because it's better on the move and the reload is lightning fast
  5. AssaultPig

weapon balance between factions has always been better than players give it credit for; NC might have been at a slight disadvantage before PU02 and may be at a slight advantage now depending on how you reckon it, but almost certainly not by enough of a margin to make anybody want to change factions. AFAIK most of the 'competitive' outfits who you'd expect to be most responsive to changing weapon balance have stayed with VS/TR.

The problem with the 200 damage guns in CQC isn't their raw DPS, it's their obnoxious cones of fire and the fact that you probably have them fitted with medium/long range oriented attachments.

the jackhammer is awesome because it has excellent range/falloff stats for a shotgun, but also doesn't really give anything up because its burst mode provides performance similar to the PA shotguns. So you can do the short range run and gun / instagib thing with it, and then the longer range performance is there when needed. I don't care much for the shotguns in this game but I bought the jackhammer on a lark and have really enjoyed it.

re: the thread title, I'd much rather have existing weapons changed than new ones introduced. Every faction already has a lot of redundancy in its infantry guns; I'd prefer to see larger differences between (say) the SAW S and the EM6 or the serpent and the VX6-7 than have something new introduced that will probably be only marginally different from the existing guns anyway.
  6. AssaultPig

which TR guns would you say have problematic DPS?
  7. NBA JAM

The thing is, Higby doesn't seem to understand his own game. There isn't a "hole" in the weapons there's a hole in the freakin' game mechanics. Weapons are just one of the means to attain an "end" in this game. The problem is the actual "end" isn't well defined and the roles of the classes/vehicles are all moot because of this.

They NEED to flush the classes out and create an actual "end game". We need an actual goal that we can walk away from and say "we won the day". Right now we capture a base and then go cap another base and then another (they all pretty much look the same too btw). There is no "we actually won THE battle".

And the classes don't really have specific roles. They all can shoot and kill stuff just as fast as the other classes... sooooo wtf? SMG's pretty much dominate this game due to the CQC design of all bases and the fact that there is no fights in between bases. The fields are dominated by vehicles with poorly constructed terrain which allows for minimal cover.

So before you talk about the weapons, how about you fix the MASSIVE "hole" in the game's core design: Classes and Objectives.
    • Up x 1
  8. Hibiki54

Looks good to me. The only difference in 167 LMGs are cert cost and attachments.
  9. DxAdder

First I think it needs to be determined what the actual faction traits are for each faction.

I have no idea what the TR and NC's are suppose to be, the VS have no bullet drop but in only applies in certain cases.

But if this is a wish list could the Jackhammer get solid slugs ? Tks :)
  10. Hibiki54

You CANNOT make the EM1 better at ADS than the Gauss SAW. It is literally impossible since you cannot have a negative ADS modifier.... unless you want a gun that can divide zero.
  11. Hibiki54

I would be fine with a TR 167/577 carbine as long as it only had 30 rounds. Turn the TMC into the TR version of the ACX-11, but 167.
  12. AssaultPig

and yet, most TR medics seem to prefer the TAR. I wonder why?

TRV already has inferior velocity, CoF and recoil stats compared to most other ARs. A TTK difference measures in tenths or hundredths of a second doesn't seem very unbalanced to me
  13. Taemien

You know the SAW blooms while firing right? Even ADS.

I'm talking successive shots hit closer to the first shot.
  14. Bankrotas

And yet, TR keep crying over GD-7F/Serpent, when they have Lynx...
  15. Regpuppy

Mag size is a bit shaky to base a weapon's existence on, don't you think? :p

I'm just saying that if I "lost" one, I really wouldn't fill like I'm missing anything. Both "feel" nearly the same, as the stats on paper would suggest. The only thing I notice is the reload time, since I'm one of many who reload after every firefight by habbit. (bad habbit for LMG users, I know. But 50 rounds does what I want it to do)
  16. iller

Is he kidding here?? The last weapon they just released was nothing but a hole
    By which of course I'm referring to the post-Ammo-Nerf RAILJACK

Why doesn't he try and fix that one first before looking for more things to possibly mess up
    • Up x 1
  17. Unclematos7

To those of you saying the Anchor is a good CQC LMG:

Giving an advanced laser sight to a 167/600 does not a CQC weapon make. It's like giving an SMG the advanced forward grip and saying that it is usable at mid-long. It doesn't work.

It just doesn't have the rate of fire to compete with something like the MSW-R

The Merc's default hipfire is better than even the pre LMG hipfire blanket nerf adv laser sight Anchor, but people don't really use it for that, because they quickly find out that something like the Trac destroys it in that category.

It is not a bad gun though, it's recoil is predictable and with a forward grip and 1X reflex I prefer it over the EM6. It is good, just not at it's intended role.
    • Up x 1
  18. AssaultPig

NC don't really have what I would describe as a good CQC LMG. The anchor is okay, but it isn't as good as the orion/MSW and imo doesn't outclass the EM6/SAW S by enough that it's worth using most of the time.

Fortunately, we have the jackhammer
  19. MykeMichail

I'm kind of worried that the Jackhammer is why we don't get a good CQC LMG. Its as if the devs have gone "They have a great A, therefore they shouldn't get a good B."
  20. Regpuppy

Pretty much what I've been saying. It's essentially the EM6 with different attachments and less ammo per magazine. If we gave it the EM6's ammo count and the compensator, it'd be doing the EM6's job.