Heavy FPS drop with recommended specs [AMD phenom II+ 6870+8gb ram]

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Rantgen, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Rantgen

After 2 months PS2-free, I logged in yesterday for a quick play.

The performances before were no better than now, but i hoped for a performances update in these 2 months of absence.

The performances in the warpgate are pretty good, with a solid 60 fps (that still don't feel like 60fps, but at least the game is responsive)

In mid/heavy battles, my frames drop to about 25/30 fps, with an huge input lag, that makes aiming really difficoult and frustrating.

Since i have EVERYTHING possible on low/off, render distance set to 1500 mt and render quality set to 85%, and my pc is over the recommended specs (AMD 965 BE 3,4 ghz quadcore, AMD 6870 1 gb Vram, 8 gb ram 1600 mhz, WINDOWS 10), i wonder if someone is having the same troubles as i do, and with the same/equivalent PC specs.

I also capped my fps to 60 via .ini, i did set the pre-rendered frames via the RadeonPro software and i have my cores unparked.
  2. Coconutx

I had a setup like yours (965 and HD7850) two years ago and the performance you have it's normal considering your hardware, I mean your cpu it's old and 1 gb vram might be not enough for this game and for many games today. It's time to upgrade if you want a real performance improvement.
    • Up x 1
  3. Pfundi

Unfortunately I have to agree with Coconutx, your CPU is too old/weak.
    Now here is the good news, that means you can turn on all the stuff that only affects the GPU again. (Textures and such) So you get some eye candy.
    1GB of VRAM should be about enough for Planetside 1080p. So you can turn Render Quality back to 100% (try 93% if you feel an improvement in performance, you wont notice it visually)
  4. Rantgen

ATM i "solved" the issue by dropping my screen resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x768.
    I get excellent performances in small fights. Now we have to see how it performs in huge fights. (at the moment, i'm GPU bound due to explosions, with 50 fps in a decently populated fight, and the render quality set at 100% )
    Anyhow, i'm looking for a small daily OC for my CPU

Other than that, it's embarassing how this game is so poorly optimized that it runs like **** even on "over than minimum specs" PCs.

I'm still looking for someone that could come out with a "tip" on how to get it to run better
  5. Terressias

Hey Rantgen, I don't know if it might help you. I have Nvidia card but I heard that there is a little tip for ATI cards. Go to ATI settings and change Frame Flip Queue to lowest value, I think its 1.
  6. Rantgen

I already did that, because otherwise it's freaking horrible.

You can do that via RadeonPro for ATI cards
  7. Terressias

Well, my system is not even meeting minimum requirements and I have 40 fps in large battles, but for me game becomes slow and mouse is responding very slowly. Last advice i can give you is, find some tweaks.
  8. Sally

Heyy, I had something same in past, when I got heavy FPS drop even on lowest graphics. So I haven't been playing it for few months, and in that time I have tried to install some MMO game to try, after that, when I tried PS2 it was lagging, so I find out that some MMO games has some bad files, which heavily drops your FPS. So if not just you or somebody had this problem, try to look on internet about it. And sorry for my bad English
  9. Rantgen

A little update

I overclocked my CPU to 3.6 ghz

Soooo....apparently, by increasing the clock speed on my cpu, i get a better input response, but i have a CPU bottleneck now, when without overclocking i am GPU bottlenecked with a relevant input lag when the fps goes under 40.

The amount of "bad optimization" in this game is increasing

Edit: i ran intelburntest at maximum stress for 10 cycles, and it gave me no errors whatsoever.
  10. FunkFest

I am running a Phenom II 955BE @3.7 with 8 GB Ripjaw 1600 and HD5850.

I am capped at 63 FPS in the user options file and all low or off settings, 100% render quality, 1500 view distance, 1920x1080

I get 60 almost always, big fights I can see drops to 35 depending on the view and effects.

I was going to recommend an OC.
  11. Rantgen

What OS are you using?
    I am using W10

Do you keep the VGA up to date via the AMD site or just via "windows updater"?

It's really weird how the game handles my system specs. It's like it hates my CPU and vga

No other games do that to me, and i'm NOT going to buy new components just for PS2. I hope the devs will do another performances update, with full optimizzation for AMD based systems
  12. Rantgen

So this happens:

Just for having fun watching how crap the framerate could get, i deleted my previous .ini file and played anyway (so another .ini is created).
    I also set EVERYTHING ON MAXIMUM: ultra textures, 1920x1080, shadows on high, particles on high, bloom, fog shadows....everything but vsync and wide mode (i don't even know what it is).
    Also full 96 voices in game (previously it was 45).

THE GAME USES MORE VRAM, BUT I GET THE SAME EXACT FRAMES (59 IN WARP; 25 IN LARGE SCALE BATTLES).

Now i dropped the shadows to off (i gained 5 fps in large scale battles), also fogshadows and bloom (because i can't see properly).

I'm planning to put to off also the particles

I also tried to OC the CPU, since i'm bound to it apparently with these settings, but there was not that much of a change.

I might try to OC to 3.7/3.8 instead of the actual 3,6.

Anyway i don't get how everything on maximum (also the shadows...FFS) could perform like everything on low/off
  13. FunBotan

:eek:

Playing on full ultra on a 2.66GHz CPU (almost) without problems. What am i doing wrong?
  14. Rantgen

Probably you're running on an intel CPU :p

A friend of mine is running the game on a pentium g2020 (2,9 ghz, dual core and no VGA) and he's running about 10 fps below my performances in game. Apparently the devs like the intel techology more than the AMD
  15. Pfundi

Intels CPUs are faster per MHz than the AMD ones. A 3.5 GHz i5 has the same speed per core like a ~4.5-4.9 GHz FX
  16. FunkFest

Sorry I didn't notice the alert for your quote until today.

I am on Windows 10, and that was before the latest updates. I manage my drivers, but Windows did update my Radeon driver today because I reverted back to 15.7.1 to test against the 16.1 I was running.

Since the updates this month I am having serious stutter/FPS issues in large battles.
    I have a ticket in on the issue tracker and started a thread about what I noticed today. You might want to check it out.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...s-forced-high-ultra-performance-issue.237397/