Hate/love T2 Striker?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Arielle, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Arielle

Hi guys,

I'm curious of what your experience is with the T2 Striker, do you laugh at/fear it when you are on the recieving end and do you hate/love it when you use it?

I am by no means a pro at the game, but Ill share my experience with it so far.
    When it came out I it was a very good weapon (as we all know), although I stopped using it towards the end because of the ESF "shaking the nose to break lock-on thing" and no dumb fire option, anyhow I took a pause from the game and came back a month or so ago and gave the updated version a shot.

In my experience the only place where this weapon actually does anything useful is versus air that strays really, I mean really close to me, like when someone desperately tries to get infantry kills and just spends too much time firing before breaking off for another run, or when I hipfire it at a plane that zooms just over my head.

Against infantry and tanks I have been completely unsuccessful, the time I'm exposed while even firing off a few rockets always seems to get me killed. I've also tried to use it against air that is more than 50 or so meters away and only ever manage to land some random hit.

As it stands I've been trying to get the 14 kills I need to get a gold medal with it, because of this I've been using it almost exclusivly on my heavy assault. I still have 7 to go before I can shelf the Striker it and use the Grounder instead which I find so much more useful in every regard.

I'd be glad to hear other peoples thoughts on this weapon. :)
  2. Mxiter

It's niche is:

-Fast moving-low altitude aircrafts where others lock-on don't have to lock, but requires good tracking/anticipation.
    -out of lock on range and immobile aircrafts (generally gals and libs) but it will move after the first slavo.

Well it's mostly useful agaist ESFs and barely tickling libs & gals.

I tried to used it during mounts, used back my G2A lock on by curiosity and noticed how i lost my time with stiker.
  3. Iridar51

It's a fun sidegrade to default dumbfire launcher. What it gains in versatility in form of AA power is not worth what it loses in peak-a-boo power and anti-MAX alpha damage. Overall a versatile, but close range weapon.

It'll never come even close to being competitive until coyote mechanic is turned on against ground vehicles.
    • Up x 3
  4. MuggieWara

Neither love nor hate..Its very fun to use though and the kills against Esf with it are always memorable.

In my opinion coyote against ground is a bad,OPish,idea.What i would suggest is a further damage buff per rocket.Fits its intended high-risk(exposure) high reward playstyle.
    • Up x 1
  5. Subject851

It's a giant pos with no place in the game.
    • Up x 3
  6. DCWarHound

TPH,it's underwhelming.

I wouldn't mind if it was wireguided but that would probably require some balancing.
    • Up x 1
  7. CapEnTrade

It's fun sure, but it's still crap, needs some more tweaks before I can justify using it.
  8. Crayv

It's fun but I consider it a downgrade to the Lancer. The Lancers high velocity and no drop makes it good a AA weapon and comparable to the Striker in terms of AA. The Stiker however loses out in actual ranged AV and anti-MAX to the Lancer. The Lancer being the only RL that can kill a MAX without reloading (has to charge up but charging up is still faster than a reload) and of course that faster velocity with no drop makes it superior at range AV.

Both suck at AI (but that is what the default RLs are for).
  9. The Rogue Wolf

The Striker is really only good at getting in damage on distant, stationary (or slow-moving) armor or low-flying Galaxies/Liberators, if you can't do well with the massive drop of the regular dumbfire rocket launchers.

Anything moving faster would benefit more from a lock-on, and anything closer would benefit more from the shoot-and-scoot alpha strike capability of a regular dumbfire.
    • Up x 1
  10. OldMaster80

As lridar said: as long as coyote mechanics does not apply to ground vehicles the Striker II will never compete with other launchers.
  11. Arielle

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who find it hard to make use of it, a shame though as it looks really cool and makes me feel like such a badass while having it shouldered. ^.^
  12. Neo3602

I don't really see how it could be OP when the VS have the lancer which when used in squads can destroy armor columns from render distance with little to no chance of retaliation and the NC have the Phoenix which when used corectly can engage armor with little to no risk to the user as well as kill armor behind cover, though the Lancer does do low damage and have to charge up for full range potential and the Phoenix has a really long reload time and slow rockets that can be shot down. If the striker's coyote mechanics were applied to ground vehicles as well it would be able to but consistent damage on armor out to a pretty long range at the cost of having to expose your self to get a full salvo off.

In my opinion the ESRLs should serve as a way to reliably armor a longer ranges than the default launchers with out having to use G2G lock-on launchers right now both the Lancer and Phoenix do this(though the Phoenix isn't really any good unless used in mass but the NC have the almighty Ravens so it balances out) and Striker is only really good against stationary targets at long range and on top of that the Fractures for the TR are now where near on the Level of the NC or VS equivalents which leave the TR pretty much shafted when it comes to long range infantry level AV.
    • Up x 2
  13. MuggieWara

I too agree,that we have the worst of the ESRLs but can you really imagine a magrider approaching lets say 3 or 4 TR heavies with coyote against ground strikers?It would demolished in a matter of seconds without any chance of hiding/dodging.Striker would become a must-have good against everything weapon,much more people would use it and as a result its effectiveness in numbers would annihilate everything on the ground.

As a tank driver i dont even want to imagine coyote against ground Striker wielding heavies.Even with its current damage profile.
  14. Liewec123

i use it all the time on my HA the only buffs i'd suggest are:
    CoF, this should be 0 when ADS, pinpoint (like all other rocket launchers)
    damage vs ground vehicles could use a small buff, its great for AA already, capable of 2 clipping ESFs and valks.
  15. Archiadus

How would that be any different from 3 - 4 coordinated VS / NC Heavies using a Lancer / Phoenix to destroy a Prowler ?

Thinking about it, there would be one difference and that would be that the TR Heavies using the Striker would be a lot more likely die as they would have to stand out in the open a lot longer compared to the other options. :p
    • Up x 2
  16. MuggieWara

The basic difference imo is that the TR heavies would actually use the Striker without being part of a coordinated squad.While similar situations with the Phoenix/Lancer almost never happen spontaneously in my experience.
  17. Archiadus

Coordinated or not, you'd still have to get X amount of players to fire at the same target at pretty much the same time which would be something that's very rare for all factions from my experience though this could differ per server.

The auto-lock range of the current Striker isn't that large either and the rockets have projectile drop which somewhat prevents you from hitting targets at extreme ranges so compared to the Lancer which has pinpoint accuracy and the Phoenix which you can steer into your target I'd say that it would not be much better or worse, not to mention the obvious glowing red balls of fire flying towards your enemy and the amount of time that you'd have to stand still for to actually do any harmful amount of damage to an MBT.
  18. MuggieWara

Well,let me keep my reservations for the anti ground Coyote mechanic.Besides,only in practise would i be proven correct or wrong.

My suggestion,and i think many would agree,is a 10-20% damage buff against everything and 0 COF bloom while ADSing.Perhaps even higher projectile velocity but im starting to think im asking too much so lets leave it at the first two.
  19. Bearded Wall

It used to be my favorite weapon, and I would lead striker squads all day and have a blast.

Now I only use it when I am reminiscing or accidentally select it. As it is currently, it is a garbage weapon.
  20. Scr1nRusher

They need to buff the velocity to 200 m/s
    • Up x 1