Happy infantry = happy tanking/happy bombing

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tuco, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Tuco

Happy infantry means you got more squishies to mow down and bomb, when infantry aren't hiding in the biolab.

And the only way to make happy infantry, without buffing AV/AA weapons so high it's suicide to tank/fly, is with the PS1 cloaked AMS.

A spawn point is everything to infantry. AMS = infantry. Infantry = AMS. They are one in the same. Whenever the AMS is easily destroyed by Liberators, ***** anti-tank mines, or the Orbital Strike; it is a direct to the face nerf to infantry.

The AMS isn't important in Battlefield 2/3 or Call of Duty cause base spawn points are really close together, but in Planetside base spawn points are 1,000 meters away from each other. In WWIIONLINE base spawn points are 5,000 meters away from each other; yeah man imagine that. Guess what happened when WWIIONLINE and PLANETSIDE 1 first came out, or was in beta, no AMS, no mobile spawning. Yeah man imagine that. Nobody spawned infantry cause walking 1,000 meters or walking 5,000 meters to a battle and then dying as soon as you get there was kinda sucky. Yeah man imagine that.
  2. 13lackCats

Close sundys and spawn camps = fool's gold.

I've got nothing against more cool stuff, but if a sundy needs to be cloaked, its too close.

People need to learn to walk 500m. So, I think attaching the need for cloaked MAS with lack of effective spawns is a less than strong platform.

ohh, and in WW2OL, the infantry game was never as strong as it was when we had to truck everyone.
  3. Poerisija

Cloaked sundy? Like attacking wasn't powerful enough as it is. If anything, it's too hard to take down sunderers atm.
    • Up x 1
  4. Tuco

OMG one of those guys who thinks infantry begging for a truck ride was a good thing. The only players who enjoyed that were the control freaks, yeah nothing was more fun then waiting 5 minutes, and then waiting 5 minutes longer cause the driver wan'ted to 'make it a good zerg', then dying to a bomb while your sitting on the truck at the FB.

WWIIONLINE would have died by 2005 if it weren't for the UMS, you are in the extreme minority opinion.

And there is nowhere useful you can park a sundy in this game, it's way too visible.
  5. Tuco

The PS1 AMS had 1/3rd the hitpoints of a Sunderer and no weapons, it was worse at offense but better at defense. I said nothing about a cloaked Sunderer, where did you read that.
  6. 13lackCats

There you have it.

A view of two very opposing viewpoints.

One leads to growth and one leads to entropy of gaming dynamics. One's opinion on the matter will be colored by what style of play one requires.
  7. Tuco

yeah well 90% of the players are on my side.
  8. Proplayer

Just like Planetside 1, Infantry fighting is becoming scarce. SOE wants this a vehicle game, they also seem to love their games to go to 1 server because of their philosophies.

Infantry in Planetside is the life of the game. Without troops Planetside is DEAD.
  9. 13lackCats

I disagree. 90% of the posters are.

According to the game I see (which I must admit is no-where near the spawn room), 90% of the players are playing.
  10. 13lackCats

You must be doing something wrong. Inf fighting is HUGE on my server.
  11. Tuco

wwiionline would have died by 2005 without the UMS, end of story, and you two mobile spawn haters lost the forum argument against hundreds of other posters. Same thing would happen here.
  12. Tuco

....in the biolab, which gets boring after a while.
  13. 13lackCats

Remarkable. Indignant arguments for entitlement seem so unrewarding. *shrug*

Anyway, have fun hating the game, its awesome for me!
  14. Tuco

Uhhuh. You know where the magic pixie dust anti-tank satchel came from? No mobile spawns. That's right folks, it's either better spawns or better AV/AA weaponry for infantry cause right now the devs are mulling over the server statistics and scratching their heads at how fewer and fewer players spawn infantry. I bet they even drew a line on a Cartesian graph (Y for players who spawn infantry, X for number of weeks since release date), and it's sloping down, in 2 months time that line will hit zero.
  15. 13lackCats

I rest my case.
  16. 13lackCats

BR7, and you got it all figured out.
  17. Tuco

BR7?
  18. foesjoe

In all the replies I've read from you I've never seen you make a single argument. All you're doing is basically saying, "You're lying. Nothing like that happens on my server! You're an idiot! Learn to play!"

Are you by chance a marketer paid by SOE to derail threads that bring up points with which various players are dissatisfied?

TL;DR Smedley, plz go.
  19. Turiel =RL=

My feeling is that SoE wanted to keeps things as simple as possible in PS2 and that is why they merged classes (Cloaker+Sniper=Infiltrator) and vehicles (Sunderer+AMS=PS2_Sunderer). It does NOT work, because the merged version will never be as good as the single units, otherwise it would be overpowered.

SoE scratched full invisibility from the game, because adding this would make the game more complex (too complex for their taste). Also invisibility requires new features like "Dark Light" to spot cloaked units.

The downside of visible spawn points can be seen in PS2. Everyone is camping infantry anyways. Infantry is at the end of the foodchain. Camping infantry at spawn points makes things even worse, since players who spawn and immediately get killed without being able to do anything server no purpose other than helping their enemy to level up and gain cert points to farm more effectively.

This whole concept of spawning in PS2 is conceptually flawed. Spawnpoints must be either safe, so that vehicles can't camp them or at least they should be hidden (cloaked) to make it more difficult. Last but not least, adding the ability to hack enemy vehicles and use them for your own empire (like in PS1) was a great idea also. Nothing better than hacking the enemy AMS and spawn your own guys there to attack them from behind.

In a nutshell: The decisions in PS1 were not just random decisions. There was very good reasoning behind them and they all solved the problems of this type of game very well. Usually copying stuff is forbidden, but in this case SoE owns the copyright, because PS1 is their own game.

Dear SoE, make use of it and copy your own decisions that were absolutely great and would obviously fix PS2 problems on the spot.
  20. 13lackCats

Actually, I do make an argument. The main one is that in a sandbox game, if one expects the play to be brought to them, then they will have the experience that the bringer wants to create for them- not vice/versa.

I'm just a guy who knows the game is more than being spawn camped.

I've also seen good sandbox games get wrecked because they catered to the entitlement crowd.