GU08 Today, 02/05/2013 R.I.P. ESFs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mazdam, May 2, 2013.

1. Purg

You most certainly could. ~1.5 in fact - so I'll tell you you're right on a technicality. It takes much less than a few seconds.

Here's a simulator to show what happens when you spot a Scythe sniffing your rear, you put the shield up and start to turn..

http://www.ps2calc.com/#vehicle1=Vanguard Shielded&weapon1=Photon Pods&weapon1Upgrade0=5&vehicle1Location=rear

Doesn't matter - dead.
    • Up x 5
  2. Thurwell

It's still one magazine of rockets to a tank's rear armor to kill it. You just need to be accurate now, used to be a 50% accuracy still got you the kill.
    • Up x 3
  3. Mazdam

If my loadout is based of ground killing, why shouldnt i be able to fullfill my role? there are A2A or A2G roles for ESFs.. why do u let me choose an A2G weapons and loadout then?

It is like making infiltrators not able to kill at long range with his sniper rifle, or kill at close combat with his SMGs or CQC rifles... why do u put those weapon in the game then?
    • Up x 1
  4. Thirdofherne

Boohoohoohoo, AntiAir can kill air, what a fraking surprise. AA is the only thing that can kill you, yet you are the only thing that AA can kill. THAT is the disadvantage. No unit should be able to go head to head with anything that is specifically designed to kill it and expect to live. Grow up.
    • Up x 4
  5. Slandebande

I'm unsure if you are trying to spread wrong information purposely, or you really are that misinformed... In either way, as others have already said, YES it is possible to do just that in an ESF.. But I guess thats pretty standard for you pilots these days :) (inb4 i need to l2p)
    • Up x 1
  6. Purg

It's called Nanoweave 5. Snipers unable to kill at long range.
    • Up x 3
  7. Slandebande

Because if the ESF's are better at killing ground targets than libs, why even have libs in the game in the first place?? ESF's (Empire specific fighter, here the keyword is FIGHTER).. It's not like a HA is better than an infiltrator at killing targets 200+m anyways.. And who is saying you can't kill anything on the ground ? It's still perfectly possible with the improved tank armor

I think what most people are trying to say is that perhaps, rocketpods should never have been implemented in their current form on ESF's, but I guess that's another discussion
    • Up x 1
  8. PhilDun

Correction: Nanoweave 2
    • Up x 1
  9. Purg

Damn, I wasted 1300 certs. :p
    • Up x 2
  10. DashRendar

Maxes were always able to ride in a Sundy, though they couldn't drive them. The Harassers don't change that. Max ability may change air if they haven't nulled their effect on NS weapons yet.
    • Up x 1
  11. DashRendar

lol, he said the Vanguard has a shield.
    • Up x 1
  12. soeguud

ESFs and Libs rendered ground vehicles obsolete. You need double the number of AA players to match or deter ESF pilots. Therein lies the biggest problem. What's the point in fielding armour when it can get aced in several seconds by ESFs. HE rounds are redundant too.

Summary: You can still raep infantry. Even more so than dedicated AI ground vehicles. ESFs and liberators are unequivocally better than anything on tracks, wheels, or hover thingies.End story.
    • Up x 2
  13. Primarkka

I'm perfectly fine with this. Now maybe someone will dare to fight back with the correct A2A equip instead of running away from my mossie? :)
    • Up x 3
  14. Scientiarum

I suppose it depends on what you consider 'a few seconds'. Perhaps people on my server just run with high level top armor frequently but it takes nearly 2 entire clips for me to take out an MBT with ~80% of the rockets hitting their mark. If it is a Vangard tank with a sheild don't even bother. For as fragile as ESF's are taking out a lone tank isn't a problem but flying anywhere near an armor column is just going to wind up in the pilot getting ***** before being able to do squat. I run a Mag nearly as often as a scythe and I have to say, besides the Ranger flack cannon being completely useless against air I never felt that threatened by ESF's. Liberators with Daltons on the other hand scare the **** outta me when I am in my tank.
    • Up x 1
  15. DashRendar

Wrong. 1 AA Max can deter an entire squadron of air given he's smart and has some form of cover to duck into. I've done it on more than one occasion, then once players start to notice my success they themselves pull AA Maxes and join in the fun.

Personally I think this is a great change in some regards, and not so great in others. For A2G balance, this is a great thing, and helps designate ESF/Lib roles much better than before. However, as far as G2G balance goes, I think this is a bad thing as Tanks were already pretty difficult to take out before from the ground. I don't pull tanks a lot, but when I do a stray ESF is usually the only thing to stop me from getting unending kill streaks because nothing on the ground really poses much of a threat if they aren't focusing fire. This could get out of hand in that regard, I just hope we start to see more Dalton libs being pulled to take care of tanks, that's how it was in Beta and it was glorious. Something needs to be done about the Lib vs. AA balance before that really matures as a game design feature though, I'm thinking much increased tank render distance for the Lib gunner would go a long way for niching that role.
    • Up x 3
  16. Edenwolf

Ive deffinitly been dropped from full to dead by a rocket spam to my rear in under 3 seconds I might even say 2.
    • Up x 1
  17. Phazaar

There's simply no reason to have air cover during organised ops anymore.

Three AA MAXs will force a Lib away before it can do any real harm, and the risk for ESFs is far too high for the low chance of a reward.

Having spoken to our PLs earlier, it seems no one will be using air in their platoons anymore.

GJ SOE, you listened to the idiots and put no thought into your game mechanics once again. Combined arms is dead. Lets all enjoy Infantryside 2.
    • Up x 2
  18. IamSalvation

rigth, it was really a bit over ONE second... not FEW seconds ;)

Just did that 2 times just before servers went down.. if YOU could not do this it just means you have to aim better with Pods...
    • Up x 3
  19. Scientiarum

Heh, rear armor shots aren't that easy to make usually. Either they were damn good pilots or you were just in a really vulnerable position (or both). I will grant you that tank rear armor in general is too weak. Seemed like too big of a discrepancy in my opinion between it and other armor values, but that holds true for any AT weapons hitting you from the rear.
    • Up x 2
  20. Scientiarum

Yeah, I forget about rear armor shots. Honestly they don't come up that much. Good tank pilots know how to cover the rear. I do occasionally get rear armor shots though. It is more like 2.5 seconds though. Tank rear armor in general is too weak. Seemed like too big of a discrepancy in my opinion between it and other armor values, but that holds true for any AT weapons hitting you from the rear.
    • Up x 1