Good weapon for a TR engie?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Meccar, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Meccar

Newbie here, I've bought a few suit & repair upgrades and next I thought I'd try and save up for a new weapon (because my old TRAC-5 isn't really cutting it anymore), but I'd like to know if there's anything in particular I should go for?

I'm thinking either the T5-AMC or the Battle Rifle, since they're cheap & I find my biggest gripe with my TRAC-5 is the lack of accuracy (and I've always got my turret if I want to hose an area with bullets), but the TRAC-5S is also tempting because it'd essentially mean infinite grenades (and a Smoke Grenade + IR Scope combo could be fun to try out)
  2. Iridar51

You should go with T5 AMC, it's a good carbine and a lot more versatile than a battle rifle. But don't expect to miraculously turn into long range marksman, heavy damage drop off will require a lot of bullets to down a target at range, and many bullets means big cone of fire, which means low sustained accuracy, which means even more bullets and long TTK.
    • Up x 2
  3. [bwc] bhawk

I would say go with the T5 AMC, its very easy to use.
    Although sadly the TR dont have a very accurate weapon with a .03 aim accuracy like the NC and VS. The TR only have .1 aim accuracy carbines. Even the battle rifles are only .1
    • Up x 3
  4. cruczi

Depends on what you do with your engineer. Do you play an infantry engineer, or do you drive a particular vehicle? Do you like to get up close or stay at a distance where CQC weapons are less effective?

Personally I agree with your two options, those are the ones I use myself. T5 AMC I use for general purpose fighting, attachments: 2x Reflex, Suppressor, Foregrip, HVA.

With my Lightning using AP and Skyguard, I like to equip the Battle Rifle because neither the AP or Skyguard cannons are very effective versus infantry unless you get close enough or the enemy is still. With the Battle Rifle, I can park my vehicle at a safe distance, and snipe the enemy using the Lightning as cover. Usually I win versus automatic weapons quite easily because it's just so reliable at dealing big chunks of damage fast, even if its DPS is a bit lacking in theory.

The Trac 5 is no slouch though. So if you intend to play a longer range game, I think the Battle Rifle is a good investment.
  5. Efraim

people keep crowing about the T5-AMC it will get nerfed and then i will have to start lighting fires again
  6. vsae

NS-11C
  7. reydelchicken

Go for the t5-amc if you can consistently hit headshots, and have good aim, otherwise stick to the trac-5 as it has far better damage potential.

I can't say anything about the battle rifles as I have not used them.
  8. Meccar

Just bought the AMC & a 4x Scope and wow it is a vast improvement, even at Sniper Rifle ranges I can usually land a couple of good hits!

Yeah, the lack of TRAC-5S infinite grenades is kinda a downer, but I don't really get into their sort of range that often anyway, and my record with regular Hand Grenades probably suggests I probably shouldn't be trusted with thrown explosives anyway.
    • Up x 1
  9. CptFirelord

If you're going CQC pick up the Jaguar, Lynx, or even the Armistice.

Of the two weapons you've listed, we can immediately rule the 'battle' rifle out of the equation. Battle and Scout rifles are arguably on par with the Beamer in terms of use / functionality.

The T5 AMC is my preferred go-to carbine for mid-long range engagements. Be forewarned: should an enemy get close, you will not be able to compete CQC when paired against an SMG, GD-7F, Serpent, or really any CQC weapon. The low RoF on the T5 and high CoF when firing from the hip works against you. I'm not saying it isn't possible to get hipfire CQC kills with it, I do it all the time as well as anyone else, but do keep in mind you won't be able to tradeoff with the dedicated CQC weapons.

Attachment-wise I like a 2x sight with the Adv. Foregrip. That's it, I don't run a silencer so I don't jip myself at long range, and I don't run a Compensator so my already terrible hipfire isn't worsened. Personally, I don't think it needs the reduction the Compensator gives it, so it's altogether unnecessary imo.
    • Up x 1
  10. Meccar

I've never won a close-up fight that wasn't either me sneaking up on an unaware enemy or me and several other people working together anyhow, so that doesn't really bother me.

I was thinking of having 2 versions of my AMC: A more long-range version (4x Scope, Compensator, Adv. Foregrip, HVA) and a more med-range version (2x Sight, Supressor, Adv. Foregrip, maybe HVA)
  11. CptFirelord

Both those setups could work, I just never bothered to specialize my T5. I think it works pretty darn well with an all-rounder setup. But hey! Attachments are there to be personalized and fine-tuned to your liking, and those setups sound like they'd be viable once you get used to the drop equated to the Silencer, and the zoomed-in look of the 4x (which personally, I can't stand xD).

Luck to ya!
    • Up x 1
  12. Varennikov

I'd recommend the TAR. The reason being it is cheap at 250 certs last I remember. That or the BR if you like sniping. Otherwise the stock gun is probably good.
  13. Feench

That's a medic only gun...
  14. FlamingSquirrel

If you're after accuracy, and for general use, go T5-AMC. It's probably my favourite TR weapon.
    My LA uses it with 4x optics, compensator, advanced forward grip and high velocity ammo for engagements mostly at long range (50-150m). It can kill in a couple of bursts easily at those ranges, as it has such predictable recoil.
    For closer range fights, like inside biolabs, you can switch to 3.4x optics and you can even replace the compensator with a suppressor if you want. It has the power and accuracy to be barely affected by the suppressor at those ranges.

For CQC, the Jaguar is my recommendation.
  15. Snipe-yo-face-yall

T5 AMC for da win...
  16. Transmaniacon

I spend a lot of time with my engineer being a sunderer driver, and repping up Max suits and vehicles. When I engage I am generally helping clear objectives and so most of my engagements are close range. I have been using the Haymaker shotgun for a while now, and it is so much fun. With extended mags, and a quick rate of fire, I can gun down anything shy of a Max suit and will win 1 on 1s 90% of the time. I can even run in and take out 3 or 4 people without reloading. It takes some skill to put yourself in the right positions to win a firefight with a shotgun, but I find it very rewarding.
    • Up x 1
  17. bubbacon

My rankings:
    Jaguar
    Lynx
    NS 11C
    TRAC 5S
    TRAC 5
    AMC
  18. Xien

NS PDW.

All the TR weapons are garbage.
    • Up x 1
  19. Killerdude8

I use the Trac-5 S, Never really touch my T5 AMC.

Smoke Launchers are Incredibly underrated.
  20. Thor04

Jaguar is my weapon of choice