Give Assist Points to Lib Tail Gunners

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jolanar, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Wezdor

I would be all for it, but we immedietely run into the problem of AFK XP farmers. And i defenetly do not want those in the game. Not even close. If we (or SOE) can come up with a mechanic to prevent people from just idling, AFKing or generaly just leeching free XP from the other vehicle occupants in a vehicle, i would be all in favour of everyone getting full xp in a vehicle.

After all, i do agree that a vehicle is a team effort and every small bit contributed by everyone counts.

This is also the reason i'm trying to come up with a solution to the problem by giving the rear gunner more XP for doing at least something. Damaging, shooting, anything!

And before someone comes in here (again) bringing a discussion about the harraser rumble seat, please don't and make another thread. This one is for the Lib.
  2. Hunter_Killers

The way crewed vehicle XP works right now is flat out dumb. This isn't sarcasm, its bad. As far as I'm concerned every seat that isn't a passenger should be getting the bonus the driver does for gunner kills. You live or die as team. It's bad enough when you are gunning for an MBT that anyone the driver kills gives the gunner zero.

Damage based XP is also a really bad and an almost insignificant bandaid for the most part. The only reason we even have it is because of the twisted idea that a paper airplane should be able to escape just about every screwup they make against G2A.

"Free XP" also doesn't exist, it would be about as free as you letting a Lib bomb you to hell and back because you don't want to pull AA.
    • Up x 1
  3. Wezdor

If you let a person sit in the back of a lib and do absolutely nothing and get full XP that the other two do, is that not free XP?

Because if that isn't, than i really don't know what is.
  4. Hunter_Killers

I call it a self correcting problem in a PvP game. If the tail is going to sit there and do nothing it will be that much easier to kill. If nobody is going to blow it out of the air then everything it kills might as well have been free XP.
  5. Fned

Per-seat eject is already in the game, isn't it?
  6. Wezdor

Yet the problem remains... I could then just tell my friend to hop into the lib gun tail and afk for 3 hours while me and my gunner do our thing, he'd only have to accept the seat change every once in a while, and he would make the same amount of XP as us. Kinda not fair to the rest of the players who actually have to work for their XP, don't you think?

Think of it as boosting in, say, World of Warcraft's arena. There, you need all the people to do the work in order to be succesful, so if someone is getting boosted, it means that another is doing that much more work.
    But in our case, someone is getting boosted and the other people are doing the same amount of work as before, yet the reward given to them is greater.

It's just not fair, and thus, shouldn't happen.
  7. ABATTLEDONKEY

Well I think that we both generally want the same thing (for team based vehicles to reward team members as such), thought I dont share your apprehension for Free AFK XP farmers, though I certainly wouldnt have anything to say if they implemented mechanics to avoid this. I dont know how they would do that, but if they get the Idea im all for it. I just dislike the idea of some poor sap witting in position 3 in my lib lol. Poor guy just wants to be dropped off.
  8. Fned

I don't think "AFK" means what you think it means...

Waiting for bad **** to happen and then dealing with it when it happens IS work. There are whole careers built on that exact concept.

**** paying firemen a salary, we should just pay them per-fire like in the old days! Oh, wait... :oops:
  9. Wezdor

How many times has the rear gunner actually saved you when he was supposed to? :p
    If **** does happen, there is usually too much **** to handle.

And while i do agree something has to be done about the rear gunner's XP gain, giving out free XP is not the way to go here.

How about removing the nose gun from the pilot and letting the 3rd gunner control both the rear and the nose gun? give the nose gun a 100° cone of rotation and keep the lib 3/3. That way, he'll have more targets to shoot at and the nose gun will actually be able to hit something.
    So far everytime i have tried to shoot something with the nose gun it has gotten me killed due to how hard it is to aim with the thing anyway...
  10. Fned

I don't know, I never have one. :D

That would be a very good solution, and would match the window placement on the Lib as well (note, it actually has a HIND-type setup with a high pilot window and a gunner window near the nose; the top window is currently just a decoration)
  11. Wezdor

Yeah, i still think the best solution is to give the rear gunner more options to gain XP and larger rewards for doing things rather than just free XP.
  12. Hunter_Killers

Well sadly we're not playing an RPG where any given encounter lasts longer than 0-0.5 seconds. The opportunity to even get hits in will rarely exist the vast majority of the time. Even in a decent battle the tail gunner will probably be sitting on his *** most of the time because they either can't get an angle or targets don't exist. The usual situation is that when your tail has targets in the air, you are probably going to die very soon.

Most of the problems come with the abysmal "balancing" the game has going on. I can't wait for the AA secondaries to completely void any opportunity the Lib has for defending itself. The tail gun should be something desired and feared, not a turret thats already been thrown in the "deterrent" bin.

I'm pretty awful in an ESF and Libs are pretty much flying piñatas.
  13. Wezdor

Remove the shredder from the belly and slap it on the rear for all I care. That way, it's a PROPER rear turret and it can do damage to ground. And give the rear another 20-30° more downward angle to help along the way.

But of course, that would involve giving people refunds, so that's obviously (sadly) never going to happen.