Give Assist Points to Lib Tail Gunners

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jolanar, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Jolanar

Because why would anyone want to tail gun for a vehicle that rarely if ever kills anyone? You are merely a repair man.
    • Up x 7
  2. Mr_Giggles

And give libs and galaxy's the Ranger
    • Up x 1
  3. KAHR-Alpha

Yeah, not only is being a tailgunner not rewarding at all, the AA gun itself is pretty bad. This needs to go back to the drawing board.
  4. Stoick

I agree with this suggestion. Vehicle Crews should all share XP. You succeed or fail as a team, therefore should be rewarded as a team.
    • Up x 5
  5. Izriul

I agree

Also, fit galaxy's with 12 Vulcan-G
  6. Wezdor

If the OP fails to see the sarcasm in half of the comments here; No. A tail gunner should not get assist XP unless he shoots at the target (in which case, he does get assist xp). This is because if you did give the tail gunner free xp, everyone would AFK in the rear seat of a harrasser / lib.

What you can do though, is give the rear gunner full xp, same as the driver, if and only IF he deals at least 5% damage to the target and then another person in the same vehicle scores a kill.
  7. Progapanda

Just remove the third seat and buff vehicle health a bit.
    • Up x 1
  8. Andy79

the rumble seat is no safe spot during fights, you die so easy there
    • Up x 1
  9. ABATTLEDONKEY

BTH, I really dont care if someone AFK's into some XP. that doesnt hurt my feelings at all. That being said, its a real pain in the butt to sit in a tail gun and get NOTHING for warding off ESF's (because you rarely ever kill the things, only ward them off where they repair)/

IMO the benifits of shared XP outweigh the potential negatives.
    • Up x 3
  10. Wezdor

Add XP rewards for rear turret damage, similar to ground to air damage xp then? That would solve a lot of problems.
  11. Stargazer86

So a tailgunner just has to sit and twiddle his thumbs if the Liberator is busy farming ground targets? No, tailgunners at least need to receive assist XP for each kill the driver/gunner gets.
    • Up x 2
  12. llPendragon

^This is one of the two best options for the Lib, imho.

The other is giving the tail gunner the empire specific ESF weapons instead of the junk they currently have. The Air hammer, PPA, or Banshee could do a lot more to encourage someone to spend their time in that seat.
  13. Metalsheep

This could be an interesting option. Just for Libs, not galaxies. People would fit 4 of these onto a gal and become a flying AA fortress of doom.
  14. ABATTLEDONKEY

Thats still a VERY insignificant reward, for the level of time invested into the act. We have to agree to disagree on this one, but IMO the team should share XP as a team. Each individual contributes to the team, and one individual should not yeild a higher reward than the other. Just my 2cents
  15. ABATTLEDONKEY

That would be ok. It would require 5 people to operate. it would be interesting to see if 5 ESF's could kill one of those gals.
  16. Grendalsh

Give EVERYONE in the vehicle a share of xp, same as the pilot gets.
    Make the nose gun on a Lib a 4th seat and put the gun on a swivel like it was in beta.
    Libs will need to have AA defenses fore and aft with the incoming ESF air superiority changes.
  17. Stride

The tail gun is very situational so much so that the only time its useful my gunner simply switches seats.

They should just make it so the tail gun and the secondary are operated by one person instead of them having to switch back and forth between seats. At least this would reduce confusion since most people seem to think 3 people operate the lib when in reality only 2 people are necessary.

Perhaps even something more complex and make it so the main gunner has control of both guns and if there is by some remote chance a third occupant in the vehicle then the tail gun control would be passed to him. This is merely to leave the option of a tail gunner available even if it is not required.
  18. Wezdor

Problem is, you have the pilot doing the hard flying, the main gunner doing the gunning, which takes skill and you have the rear gunner sitting on his *** waiting for something to show up to shoot. And they should all get the same xp? NO!

The lib is fine as it is and any xp changes to the rear gun, while nice, should absolutely NOT encourage farming free xp for not doing anything.

Currently, you have four options:
    • You're fighing against heavy air, so you fit the rear gun (and possibly belly gun) as AA. You fly all three people, because the rear gunner gets a ton of action and thus makes decent XP. <Damage based XP should defenetly be added here, for the rear gunner>
    • You're going on a normal bombing run; aka you don't know if there will be air or not so you equip the belly with G2A and the rear gun with AA just in case. In this case, just fly the lib 2/3 because the one gunner can handle both posts with no problems, when needed. <See notes below>
    • You're going on a full bombing run, with allies covering your airspace. You equip a A2G (bulldog) on the rear and belly and have a 3/3 lib. You fly the lib so you have the rear facing the action, letting both gunners shoot. In this scenario, the rear gunner makes a ton of XP.
    • (My favourite) You're using the other standard bombing hybrid, with a shredder on main for AA and AV and a thermal bulldog on rear for AI. Both gunners make mad XP.
    So you can see that in 2/4 cases, the rear gunner makes plenty of XP, depending on the skill of the pilot, in 1/4 cases, the rear gunner is obsolete and in 1/4 cases, the rear gunner's XP gain should be boosted as it's making too little.

Conclusion; As i've said before, give the rear gunner XP based on damage done to Air and Ground vehicles, with no other changes. If this is still not enough, add other XP gaining options.

And before you say "Ooh, see! Even you said in one case the rear gunner is obsolete, I still think he should be making XP even in that scenario!" let me tell you that; no. Just no.

You don't expect the gunner on a MBT's walker to make tons of XP, why should the guy in a lib? Poor equipement choice does not mean you should get free XP, it means that SOE should give us the option to change loadouts on already existing vehicles, which is for another thread.
  19. ABATTLEDONKEY

20. Mr_Giggles

Not if you only make it for the wings like the bulldog currently is. It just annoys me that what should be AA defense for the aircraft are ****** AA/AI guns that come stock on the sunderer. And it annoys me that no matter how much air we have in the sky, our esf's don't even try to watch for enemy esf's who go after libs and gal's. Best defense is that one you give yourself and sadly I've had more success killing enemy birds with a bulldog than that gun.