Game optimized.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Vodkabeast, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Vodkabeast

So how much longer do we have to wait for the game to be optimized? I want to buy a 1 year membership but this is the only thing holding me down.
    • Up x 1
  2. Nathanielvk

Love to hear what the dev got to say on the matter they seem quite
  3. Idono

Optimization doesn't happen over night. It can take alot of time to optimize something.
    • Up x 2
  4. Tovarisc

4 months in beta and progress was done. Not insane amounts, but noticeable amount. Leap from tech test to end of beta, what I have heard, was extremely noticeable FPS wise. I would say that at least couple months for first FPS increases that actually matter for players.
    • Up x 1
  5. CyclesMcHurtz Code Monkey

We make changes all the time, they don't always make a huge difference. The big changes can easily take weeks to analyze and develop. I spend time on each of my test machines doing tests and analysis. I currently have five test machines, two mid-level machines (one intel, one AMD), two low-end (again one of each), an my development machine (which doesn't really count for optimizations - it's higher-end).

Unfortunately it's not just a switch you flip to make everything fast, but a process which involves tests and changes to make it more stable and reliable. Just like codeForge says in the sticky thread here --> http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/quick-note-on-optimization.49152/ <-- we won't stop. We're talking about it all the time. We've got charts and changes going back almost a year to see all the things we've done before, during, and after the Beta period. There are definitely things left to do.
    • Up x 11
  6. Veratu SOE

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/quick-note-on-optimization.49152/

This particular topic is already a sticky post. The dev team is grinding hard on numerous fronts to improve the game overall. It has been non-stop since release with fixes, adjustments, tweaks and improvements both in the client and on the server side. It's a continual process and we're working quickly and diligently to improve the player experience.
    • Up x 3
  7. Veratu SOE

And that's what happens when two employees write posts at the same time ... :)
    • Up x 1
  8. Vodkabeast

Well, I heard people are playing this game a lot better with an AMD Phenom II X6 1xxxT. Might order that.

My friend tried this game out after beta for the first time and he said it was A LOT laggier then it was in beta.

Thanks for the fast response.
  9. TheSDM

I am in fact aware that optimazing takes a long time, but did you guys have multi gpu usage in mind while developing this game? For me I do not notice any significant difference between using crossfire or not, the difference is <10 fps, which in my opinion is pretty low.
  10. CyclesMcHurtz Code Monkey

We actually worked very hard to make certain we can get just about the most out of multi-GPU, but the problem is that in order to give the GPU work, the CPU has to be able to keep up. With 2-way setups, that's usually possible for some people right now. With the current code, 3- and 4-way setups are just not going to get you anything until we increase the CPU side of things OR if you use massive pixels.
    • Up x 2
  11. Hatamoto

Just a question ... why did you decide to code the engine for DX9 ?
  12. Daviran

13. MrBloodworth

Compatibility, obviously.
  14. Hatamoto

Compatability for systems that cant even run the game decently?
    • Up x 1
  15. OldMaster80

Yep. We won't wake up some day and find that the game is suddenly optimized. It will be a loooong trip from 20 fps to... whatever it will be.

I think the reason is that game can run also on outdated systems. It makes sense, since the game is F2P and many F2P users don't spend money on upgrading their machines.
  16. MrBloodworth

I'm sorry? All cards you can buy in the last 10 years run DX9. People have other issues, like CPU.
  17. D0n

Optimization is a very long process, it takes months and even years, it of course depends on how much personnel they have doing it.
  18. nitram1000

They didn't do anything, they just reduced the graphics. The game looks really crap compared to tech test, yet we have very minimal fps increase.
  19. nitram1000

Because Planetside 2 is coming out for consoles.
  20. Lavans

Because the game is net code heavy and doesn't use direct compute or tessellation, so DX11 would be useless inn this case.