[BUG] G2G Launchers & Render Distance (with video)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Banick, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Banick

NC is my main, I was playing my VS alt for shytes and gigs. But I noticed this issue cropping up post patch multiple times. Decided to record.

I stood there to receive the rounds so that I could document the issue. As you can clearly see, 3-4 G2G launchers locked onto me, and successfully hit me from the Crown, when I was in TI Alloys (an entire hex away). Leaving no method of counter for the MBT crew, or even an Infiltrator at that range.

MAX unit render was increased so that when Liberators and ESF were within range, both would render at equal distances (well apparently, but I don't think it's been done correctly yet).

Regardless, the capability for G2G launchers to lock on and hit from an entire hex away whilst retaining invisibility, is not intended I think.

As I said, I stayed there to demonstrate the capability of the launchers now. And the invisibility of the infantry troops using them.

I did intend to pull out once I got to 3/4 health, but didn't count on ESF ruining it.

I predicted this before the Liberators and ESF were nerfed. Infantry won't be happy unless they can 1 hit any vehicle or have the render advantage as it currently stands.
  2. Sinoby

Yeah, it is quite a problem. It feels like they increased lock-on range in some cases. Even though it has been discussed in different threads, I'll add it here - lock-on rockets should be displayed on the radar. Or, at least, properly rendered.
  3. lobe44

In a magrider don't care.
  4. gudman591

Invisible invincible heavies locking on vehicles from far-far away

If that's what was planned, SOE just sucks big time.
  5. LoveJuices

You so are constantly getting hit by invisible rockets from targets so far away they do not even register in your client. Got attacked by two terrible ESF that could hit the broad side of a Galaxy. Ran over one of your team mates. Then got launched from your battle crab and flung to your death 400m away at the speed of fast.

Just another day in the VS
  6. LameFox

What on earth would be the point of recording a tank being locked and deploying smoke or moving behind a rock? It wouldn't show us anything.
  7. Istrebljivach

Render distance should be increased. It mostly hits vehicles and infiltrators atm. I dont care if some crappy PC from 1990 wont be able to handle the game, but at least they should let people with decnt PC-s play the game as it was intrended to be played!
  8. LameFox

The saddest thing of all is that playing as TR on Indar, there's so much open ground for me to fight in that I can plainly tell the vast majority of homing missiles fired at me come from unrendered players.

I assume the counter is something like 'play a less stupidly designed game'.
  9. stalkish

Why is it that the terrain renders almost accross the entire map, i dont need to see almost to the opposition warpgate from my own. They should reduce render distance on terrain to allow for more troop rendering. (if that would help, not a programmer)
  10. gudman591

Pffft, the answer around the forumside is something like this:
    "l2p newb, ***, get out of your farminglolmachine and storm biolab like good players do"
  11. Takoita

And not AV-lock-on either. Unless I was hit by a lock-on missile with no lock-on warning...
  12. Turiel =RL=

This game is broken because of render distance. The illusion of big battles remains an illusion, because they can't render it. The result is a game where you don't see where it's coming from, so anything other than infantry close combat basically turns into a random deathtrap.
  13. Puppy

Invisable rockets hitting are not fair in the slightest. But render distance overall needs to be improved.
  14. Rognik

Being hit by invisible rockets from invisible heavies is beyond dumb. At the very least, the missiles should render, allowing you to get out of the line of fire or time flares/smoke correctly.

But really, the problem is much deeper than that. The Annihilator is now clearly the best choice for a rocket launcher, because the heavy can now excel at killing infantry, tanks, and air, all in one loadout.

Infantry should be able to defend themselves against aircraft and tanks, and even instantly kill one if a group times a barrage properly. However, a rocket launcher that easily destroys both air and tanks should not exist. There should only be separate rocket launchers for both. Neither of their ranges should exceed infantry render distance; they could be given things like fast lock on times and high speed to compensate.
  15. HadesR

It doesn't easily destroy both unless people are using teamwork

1041 shots has netted a total of 17 kills with a 60% hit rating .. So it's not exactly destroying thing's easily is it ?
  16. Rognik

Improved render distance would be very nice, and I'm sure they're working on it, but it's not as simple as just upping it. Just increasing it across the board would majorly increase the game's CPU drain, and that already exceeds what it should be. While totally playable, a game that runs at less than 60 FPS on brand new hardware is not exactly acceptable.

Without some amazing optimization (that will probably never happen), infantry render distance will have to remain pretty limited.
    • Up x 1
  17. FeiXue

Just get rid of all this lock-on bollocks. You could shoot down air with Lancer in first game just fine. Aiming required in an FPS!? Oh horror!!
  18. Evilsooty

Agreed, or limit it. This is how DICE ruined BF3: drive out your base, beep, beep, beep, die. There is no skill involved in using lock-on weapons and so should only be allowed at short distances.

On Miller last night the Vanu had pushed the TR to the warpgate and we were trying to counterattack across the open ground before the crater but tank after tank was blown to pieces by invisible rockets from quite a distance away.