Focus Test: Indar - 4/8 @ 5pm PST

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Malorn, Apr 8, 2013.

1. LordMondando

I also didn't find the new NC pump action that bad. quite a few cases where I was running up to people point blank and it taking at least two hits, with a fairly long 'pump' time inbetween to kill them.
  2. LordMondando

So yeah. Issues out the gate.

1) Excessive cap time feels gamey and well.. boring.
    2) But without them, steamroller effect of a larger force vs. a smaller one, in virtue of being forced in a base to base progression is more than likely to be worse. So whilst defensibility of bases has significantly improved, needs something else there.

Advantage which I think is always slightly to the attacker in PS2 at the moment, magnifies even more when force has superior numbers.

As a system for engendering larger frontal battles its fine. But we live in a game with a fair few population imbalance issues, it looks like it could magnify them. Also not sure if changing from 4 connections per base, or 5 would necessarily solve that.

And can defensibility be increased to the point where attacking is outright frustrating... hmm..
  3. notyourbuddy

Geez people the server is empty right now. The Enclave is on TR and the other two factions are empty so its just a ghost cap. Wait until people actually log in before trying to dissect the lattice system and say its flawed.
  4. LordMondando

If by people you mean me, believe I made that caveat several times. Was seeing as least one and a half platoons on a single node around allatum at several points, NC that is. Vs. the TR.

Thats not that far understrength a lot of times on PS2. Therefore tentative conclusion can be drawn. Underlined as tennative and then you know, debate and stuffz.

Furthermore, given my point is about relative population values, how would twice, even thrice as many people change things? Imbalances as great as 10% between one fraction and the next are fairly common on several servers.
  5. LanceHavenbay

H
    Hey Higby, keep up the great work man. All of you, in fact. Thank you for working so damn hard, for all of us.
  6. Assist

The fact that ghost capping is still so easily viable makes me believe the lattice system still needs work. Most VS that were on went to two bases, didn't care that we were losing other bases, and the same fights were happening (Zurvan).
    I like a lot of the changes, but specifically the current lattice system is not going to work with so many connections and no incentive to retake a base that is 50% flipped. The options to go ghost cap an enemy base, while their zerg takes your base, is still there so players will continue to do that.
  7. DeathMachine500

Hey everybody Azure Twilght Squad Bravo TheDeathMachine500,The test was nice needs to be more stable on the fps but other than that nice job Love the new map station it really helps the flow of battle again nice
  8. notyourbuddy

Think it was just because the server pop was so low. I was on the test server from 6pm EST -> 9:30pm EST and it was very difficult to find any kind of fight anywhere. TE [ENC] was there early but the other two factions had nobody on. Not until 8:45pm did I even get anything meaningful to shoot at along the Vanu territories when some TR outfit called FUTA showed up at Zurvan. Almost all the other hexes on the map were empty.

Put it on a busy server with some outfits playing and I doubt we'd see much ghost capping. Those lanes would probably be pretty clogged.
  9. Ripshaft

Hey just wanted to ring here... From what I could tell, the arranged test went poorly primarily because of the exceptionally slow capture times... there's no reason to wait around for xp when the xp doesn't do anything for you. Alot of people showed up, checked the place out, then tried to battle, but as soon as the battle was over... there was a 20 minute wait before people could move, not really the best way to spend time.

We all want the game to be better, and we're eager to help with our time, but the long cap times seemed like a contrived waste of time for the purposes of testing.

Not saying the test was a total flop or anything, I don't know for certain, just going off my experiences. I had the misfortune of being killed by a dev, and was unable to get back to him in time to return the courtesy... shame =/

That said, I do look forward to the next test event, hopefully I'll have some more time to give then, just you might want to adjust the test environment specifically for the test you're looking to conduct... or maybe you already are, I'm not sure. Either way, good stuff, I spent a few k certs on a galaxy gunship setup, and it's hilarious, if nothing else, that makes it worth it.

Edit: Ex, to specifically evaluate flows of battle on indar, you'd probably want to make sure the cap times are lower than normal (This is of course assuming that the current cap times were the cap times of a territory without any influence, unadjusted from the removal of influence, and that the actual cap times are much smaller to begin with), and that only indar is available for play.

Edit again: also you'll probably want to figure out how to incentivise playing on the test server.. I feel a bit dickish suggesting this, but my sense center tells me that given the scope of this game, you will need people to dedicate a very large amount of time to the test server to make it worthwhile. Seems like they should perhaps get some level of return for this. Obviously you cant give a %xp to characters on their proper account (unless maybe you capped it per hour), but something that would benefit the main accounts I think would be a really good idea.

Ultimately I think people should make a reasonable choice between playing their main characters, or taking some time out to play on the test server, help the game, and still contribute *on some level* to their proper characters..... but yeah, I'm sure you're way ahead of me on this, just had to ramble.
    • Up x 1
  10. LordMondando

Just wanted to be clear, as a system for creating large fights in a limited number of places it works. Tweaking to number of connections and cap times needed obviously.

Its just the game is going to need more than this as it appears to magnify the steamroller effect of population imbalances. Theres only so much fun losing a succession of bases to a numerically superior force with very little you can do about it.
    • Up x 1
  11. GSZenith

wait is there second pump on test server? my blackjack?! :eek: (dling client!!!11!1!!11!)
  12. a puppy

you should allow us to have four characters, because (i would assume) most of us have our 3 characters each with each empire, so to participate would mean having to delete one and make a new one solely for this or any other type of event in another server (until we have to buy server switching tokens). If you were to allow it, It would most likely be something you buy: another character slot, but whatever way it comes, we need a fourth character slot (you're not going to see as many people testing as you would because of this [I'm assuming]). Could at least benefit if only temporary, we had a fourth for such occasion, or maybe just a separate option for those who want to participate whenever, to just participate, and be renting out a character rather take up one of their own just for that one occasion.
  13. RobotCriminal

Test server is on a completely different client/realm, so it doesn't affect anything on the "real" client including your characters. When you come in for the first time you make a new BR1 character and are given 10k certs to get the ball rolling on it.
  14. Cryless

this update is a bad idea. I talked with my outfit mates and they don't like it. some even said that they might quit the game if u add this update!
  15. KlyptoK

Explain or your statement doesn't hold much weight.
  16. Maltodextrin

this update is a good idea. I talked with my outfit mates and they like it. some said that they might quit the game if u don't add this update!

See how there was a lack of any relevant information conveyed in that post? How easily it was made to say the exact opposite? How unhelpful it was? Don't feel bad, you can fix this.

Let's take a look at your post again:

"This update is a bad idea."
    Why is it a bad idea? Are you sure it's a bad idea, and not just a good idea with poor implementation? How could this idea be improved?

"I talked with my outfit mates and they don't like it."
    Why don't they like it? What could be changed to make this idea better?

"some said that they might quit the game if u add this update!"
    How many? Was it widespread or just an few? How much time have they logged on the test server with the new update? It's spelled "y-o-u"
    • Up x 2
  17. LordMondando

He did nothing more than ask you to justify your standpoint. Something that, to be blunt about it, is required in an argument.

Good old internets.