Fix Cloaking already. Enough is enough.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Flaeb, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Epicstrat

Well, if people think an infiltrator is annoying he must be doing something right. That's the whole point of the class, to be a as big a nuisance as possible. That's the team-play of the infiltrator. Where others have healing, repairing, or anti vehicles we have the tools to impede enemy progress and annoy them. By doing this we take some pressure off our teammates and help them complete their jobs.
    • Up x 1
  2. Flaeb

This 1000%. I believe a while ago having the game on low settings showed infiltrators easier and now they managed to do the opposite. .
  3. DatVanuMan

I'm okay with this. However, you might want to think about the players who play on low settings, mano_O They need help, too.
  4. Flaeb

Oh believe me, I'm well aware of high/ultra setting issue as well.
  5. NC_agent00kevin

I play a lot of Infiltrator and I think its fine as is. Its my main infantry class if Im not driving a tank.

I dont even use cloak a lot; only when absolutely necessary to cross large open areas or get into a base with enemy activity blocking my way. I only use darts/motion spotters once they know Im there.

Otherwise, you're doing it wrong. Try playing a sneaky Light Assault for a while. You cant cloak but your jump jets are far quieter than the cloak. Once you get the hang of that, you wont be complaining about cloaking any more.

Even as a Infiltrator main, Ive never felt that complete invisibility is the right thing. Its more of a crutch to Infiltrators who think they are sneakier than they really are.
    • Up x 3
  6. Captain Kid

Bump..
    I was under the impression crouch walking was much less visible then sprinting.
    But I just tested this and there only seem to be two cloak states.
    Sprinting, walking, crouch walking are all the same.
    And crouched while stationary is deep cloak.

Was it always like this??

I could have sworn crouch walking was much, much less visible then sprinting..
    I mean I've been really deep inside enemy territory in the past with the enemies swarming around me at 5 and 10 meters distance. While crouch walking..and spend half an hour like that on several occasions.

The only two benefits I see now for crouch walking is:
    - Obviously a faster moving cloaker is easier to see.
    - Going into deep cloak is much faster when crouch walking vs sprinting.
    • Up x 1
  7. Flaeb

It was always like this as far as I know. I took a break from this game for about 4 months, so unless something happened I'm not aware of, it's always been like this. (Actually, they added the "deep cloak" months after launch).
  8. Jalek

Every since they removed blur I don't see them at all, and I used to spend my time watching the flanks and was pretty good at spotting the shimmer.
  9. Captain Kid

Thank you, I was hoping you would respond.
    Then I don't know how the hell I get away with crouch walking while surrounded by enemies but will continue to do so.

Edit
    I think the only explanation is most players are absolute oblivious to their surroundings.
    I notice a lot of times I'm the only one seeing an enemy cloaker. (or light assault/engy attacking our AMS)
  10. Flaeb

You don't move, ever. You plan your escape if you get caught inbetween enemies , because once you move an INCH, they will most likely see you, so pray you don't get mowed down during your escape, but you ain't slowly going past them (most of the time). And this game has latency problems (most online shooters do), so even if the enemy's back is turned towards you, and you want to start moving then, but suddenly he turns around and you stop moving, the enemy technically turned about a second before you actually saw his character turned, so he already saw you move, and is gonna kill you.

In PS1, I would slowly crouch walk near enemies and i could sneak behind enemy lines unseen. UNLESS the enemy pops darklight OR has a keen eye, which case I'm not even mad for the enemy being observant. Cause right now when you're crouch walking in this game, they didnt have good eyes, you were just lighting up like a Christmas tree
    • Up x 1
  11. iller

Except that there's absolutely no reason what-so-ever Performance wise to run on "Lowest" if you already know which exact nobs to turn down for Medium instead. IE: the Medium quality shaders themselves (Translucent filtering) are the ONLY part of medium quality you actually need infact; just to see particles of cloaked infiltrators moving against any other texture, even BRIGHTER than you actually see most Vanu against dark backgrounds/lighting. Everything else... The lighting, shadows, bloom, vegetation, render range & quality, model animations Especially, can be at the lowest settings. You can even test it in the warp-gate by changing to Infiltrator because what you see as your weapon viewmodel also transfers over to what most other INFs will look like to you.

I've tested this extensively, infact on some machine, using Ultra-textures & the game's DX10 shaders instead of 8 or 9 will improve performance by reducing the number of scaling calculations being pushed to your cache levels. (this was suggested by one of their performance Devs the last time multicore load-bare came up)
  12. Shatters

It already works like this, however there are a few bugs that make the cloak unable to change from sprint > lower visability settings.
  13. Captain Kid

That's what I thought.. see previous page of this thread. Whole discussion about it.

But I just tested it and there are only TWO cloak stages.
    -deep cloak when you are crouch stationary
    - And another state for crouch walking, walking and running.

In other words: the cloak state for sprinting is the SAME as for crouch walking.
    Try it yourself in-game it's exactly the same.
  14. Flaeb

There are only two stages of cloaking. I do infiltrator like 90% of the time and I can tell you without any doubt that it's not working properly. The fact i am 50 feet from a enemy who has no idea I'm around (to his side mind you), and I barely move an inch, and he kills me instantly because like Ive said a million times, you like up like a Christmas tree when you move at all.

The bugs you mention then have been in the game since alpha or something, cause I never seen it work properly. Ever.
  15. Captain Kid

you know.. I'm still not sure about it always having been like this.
    I could swear there were different cloaking stages between deep cloak and sprint..

This deserves more investigation.
  16. Palbuddy

"The moment cloaky ppl will stop moaning about cloaking mechanics generally will become that moment, 85+% of all Inf's will play cloaky ppl one month later because FOTY Inf type..!"

Sry, could'nt resist as someone who wants to play PS2 again, after been very long time out of this game. :p
  17. Richter03

Maybe a cardboard box should be help. :p
    I disagree, if you think back when infiltrator's cloak huge update, it come out with a feature that cloak alway in crouched and not moving stage all even if you runing !! and Flash's cloak is the same, almost invisible like crouched and not moving stage while you ride a flash faster then 50 mph. :eek:

Infiltrator isn't James Bond or Solid Snake that you can one man capture the base, you need team to support you role to sabotage enemy camp and help your faction advantage enemy. Find some engineering and ask them cause some smoke scene to cover you sneak, your cloaking already total invisible in NV scope sight.
  18. Flaeb

Thats not the point. They brought in cloaking because it was in Planetside 1. Planetside 1 cloaking and the Stalker in this game plays very similar. Planetside 1 had different cloak levels which I listed in the original post. This game doesn't have that. I need to bring this attention to the devs, because I strongly believe this was not the true intentions of the Stalker cloak. You could still see a cloaker in PS1 who was moving slowly, but it took a keen eye, or is aware a cloaker is nearby. Planetside 2, you move slowly, you're fully visible pretty much.

I'm saying to "fix" cloaking the way it's supposed to be. Not making cloak "stronger". To the people who scream (Lol, SMG cloak so op, you want to make them strong). This does not benefit SMG users cause their cloak doesn't last long enough to get the benefit since they NEED to move constantly. Stalker cloak has a pistol, and needs patience, which is not rewarded most of the time.
  19. Moonheart

I'm a player that recently decided to stop playing infiltrator because I was turning crazy to have patient infiltration screwed by random, frustrating events.
    The worst being the one that the OP points out: you do 10mn of patient infiltration behind enemy lines, then someone runs in your back exactly when you move 1cm (not more, just a little tap on the forward key) while crouching and see you at 20m and butcher you with a full-auto weapon...

SMG and sniper rifles are not an excuse to not tweak the stalker cloak correctly. Infiltrators who use stalker cloak don't have either, so they are a fully different topic than SMG users and snipers.
    SMG users and snipers don't care about crouching movement visibility. Their cloak is not working in a way that a such thing could be intersting for them, so there is no risk to make them more powerful by lessening the visibility of crouched movement.

Actualy, the rewards for a good stalking are not even match the difficulty of the act.
    After so many hard times as a stalker, I'm gone for LA... and, damn it, I feel like I'm gone from hard mode to easy mode

Not saying LA is too easy... It's not as easy as a HA... but compared to the stalker cloak it's like night and day.
    • Up x 3
  20. Flaeb

THANK YOU!! Perfectly said.