Fake Sniper Rifles

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Jhizzle, Nov 29, 2012.

1. HvcTerr

WTF are you talking about? For VS, there's a separate store-category explicitly labeled "Scout Rifles", separate from "Sniper Rifles". When you tick that category, it shows you the Nyx and Artemis. (The Ghost is the only outlier, with low-mag scopes but still listed under Sniper Rifles.)

Are you perhaps playing TR or NC, and your in-game-store isn't designed the same?
  2. Jhizzle

There is a separate store-category explicitly labeled "Scout Rifles". The guns in the OP are not labelled as scout rifles, though. They're labelled as sniper rifles despite not being sniper rifles. They're just ordinary rifles. Stock rifles. I was suggesting that the guns in the OP would be more correctly labelled as scout rifles. The Nyx and the Artemis are scout rifles, the Ghost and Phantom are labelled, incorrectly, as sniper rifles.
  3. ComradeHX

Fact: Semi-automatic rifles built for longer range engagements are still sniper rifles in REAL LIFE.

What do you think S in SVD stands for?
  4. Jhizzle

please stay on topic
  5. TheCF

I think this is just a case of where in-game lore has beaten gameplay.
    The lore of the snipers with 4x scopes are that they are sniper rifles able of carrying weaker scopes than other snipers. Other than that, they are identical to their sniper brethren.

Let's take a little example.
    The 99SV, the standard semi-auto sniper of TR is a sniper. I think we can all agree on that.
    Now if you shoot someone from 10m with this gun, is it still a sniper? I'd say yes, because it was designed as one. It has the range and power of a sniper.
    Now, say some sniper guy rips off the scope from his sniper because he likes getting up close with it. Is it still a sniper? I'd say yes, it's still the same old 99SV all basic Terran snipers use.
    And that's where it's at. The TSR-35 is the Terran weak-scope sniper, and it's actually an 99SV with the scope ripped of. It says in the description that it's used by aggressive marksmen (or something like that) which means sniper guys who get up close where your 10x scope won't help. But it is still a carbon-copy of the 99SV. And that makes it a sniper.
    Saying that it would be anything else would kind of be like saying that if you bash someone in the head with your sniper enough it becomes a hand-to-hand weapon.
    All IMO.
    • Up x 1
  6. Izanagi

A sniper is not a soldier who specializes in long range engagment, a sniper is a soldier who specializes in one shot one kill combat, often times from a concealed position providing overwatch and mid to long range support to the infantry on the ground.

Speaking from RL, the standard issue US military sniper rifle, the m24, comes with a 10x40mm fixed power scope, however that does not mean it is only used for long range engagement. You are trained to engage targets with the rifle out to 400 meters or as close as 50, proving that a sniper is not defined by long range engagement but rather by the accuracy.

Applying that to the OP's argument, they ARE infact sniper rifles as they are highly accurate, and most are one shot one kill weapons in the hands of a proper sniper.
  7. Jhizzle

Please don't lie, the standard issue m16 is effective to 500 meters, and it's not a sniper at all. The M24 is effective to way more than 400 meters.
    The distance at which the gun is effective doesn't change the definition of the gun. To use your own argument, "Saying that it would be anything else would kind of be like saying that if you bash someone in the head with your sniper enough it becomes a hand-to-hand weapon."
    This contradicts your argument that the TSR-35 is a sniper. It's not a carbon copy if not in stats, in attachments because it's clearly been re-purposed for close range combat, making it no longer a sniper rifle. It's limited scope magnification greatly inhibits its ability to use it at long distances, which is the point of a sniper rifle. If it were really a carbon copy of the TSR-35 then I doubt it would even be in the game: Why would two different identical guns be available to the same faction?
  8. ExcalCk

What I don't understand is why you have the TSAR-42 bolt action with only a max zoom of x4 while you have the HSR-1 semi auto that is clearly for med-long range with a max zoom of x6. It seems you would have them reversed since the TSAR-42 is a bolt action with sway and you have to use breathing control. Since it's reload speed is quicker than the very long range variants, it makes sense to have it capped off lower, but not lower than a semi-auto scout rifle.
  9. TheCF

Hmn, true that. It's just that I see before me a little story where the military decided to re-outfit some of their sniper rifles because their snipers constantly decided to go closer than where thir scopes are effective.
    The thing is, these are the same in stats as their long scoped counterparts. They are just as effective at the extreme ranges that other snipers are in. The bullet velocity and low drop is suited for Very Long ranges.

I frequently run into enemy bases with my 99SV Sniper and use it on ranges under 100m, often under 50m using the weakest scope available... but it's still a Sniper even though I kit it (as much as I can) to use for short ranges.

But I can definitively see your point, they could have made it somewhat clearer that these weapons don't have powerful scopes. "Infiltrator Sniper Rifle" or something (as these seem to be used for infiltration or something akin to that).

Edit: I went and checked wikipedia (Yes I know, unreliable source but still) and it defines a Sniper Rifle as any Rifle designed to shoot more accurate shots able to target more vital points, or at least moreso than other rifles. I think it fits the close-range snipers rather well... but it also goes out to describe that many rifles can be called Sniper Rifles if you put a scope on them.
    All with the standard amount of salt when using wikipedia.
  10. Grotpar

Only the bolt action rifle with low mag sights needs to be labeled a scout rifle.

The semi-auto sniper rifles which come with a default 6x scope should remain sniper rifles.
  11. TheCF

There is a semi-auto sniper that too comes without scope, with a max sight of 4x. We're discussing those two.
  12. Alexander Angelos

Snayperskaya Vintovka Dragunova (eng.: Dragunov Sniper Rifle)
    for the onece who don't know )
  13. KorJax

Exactly why the semi-autos are excellent "sniper" rifles for doing mid/close range

Problem with strictly long range sniping is, 9/10, you will miss half your shots due to player movement and distance anyways.

Getting within 200m greatly increases your shot to hit, and semi-auto greatly increases your time to kill against most targets (except for those standing dead still, in which case the *instant* time to kill of a bolt action is better, but also much riskier/harder at closer ranges).

You can also move around and stalk prey like a real proactive sniper/marksman better at closer ranges.

Simply put, being an *active* sniper gets you more points, and is more valuble to your team, than doing "traditional" sniping where you just camp a spot and hope you land a hit with zero real risk involved.
  14. Sphinx

zero risk won't give you many kills in my opinion. If only we had stalker cloak back, I'd be in the middle of the base with my pistol and knife :p
  15. Sworaven

Reading. You suck at it.
  16. Jhizzle

This isn't true. If you aren't going to contribute to the thread, please don't post. If you feel there is a point I did not acknowledge that you would like me to, please specify what that is instead of being rude.
    Please refrain from posting on a topic that is unrelated to the thread.
  17. Sworaven

It is true. And I'm not being rude, I'm just stating the obvious.

Where did Izanagi mention that the M24 isn't effective at a 400m or more range? Nowhere, he merely said that you are trained to engage targets at that distance. He is not describing the gun or any of the characteristics.

In conclusion, reading, you suck at it.

In response to your OP: I agree, they should be named something else. They are sniper rifles, but the lack of high end scopes available for them make it clear that the devs did not intend these rifles to be used purely for sniping.

I feel naming them 'sniper rifles' in the shop is a bit misleading towards players who buy them.