Fake Sniper Rifles

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Jhizzle, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Jhizzle

TSAR-42, KSR-35,SAS-R, Impetus, Ghost, and Phantom are clearly not sniper rifles. Why are they categorized as sniper rifles? Should they be recategorized under a different name to more accurately represent their functionality?
  2. Nyth_

I'm assuming you're talking about the semi-automatic sniper rifles (assumption because I don't believe the ones you named are all semi-autos).

If so then I don't see a reason they they shouldn't be classified as sniper rifles. You got semi automatic sniper rifles IRL too.
    The only thing that makes a rifle as sniper rifle is it being accurate for long range engagements. In general this means a long barrel, scope and single fire. Whether it is bolt action or semi automatic actually doesn't matter. The former are generally more accurate as there are less/no moving part (like springs) in them. In games the balance is often made where semi's do less damage with a higher RoF and bolt actions are high damage with low RoF.
  3. Jhizzle

Three of the guns are bolt-action, three of the guns are semi-automatic
  4. grin

They are all short range sight variants of the other weapons. They have some variation of 1x to 6x sights. I believe they do the same damage but have slightly higher rates of fire so slightly higher dps.
  5. m44v

I know there's a sniper rifle what comes with iron sights :p
  6. Jhizzle

these guns cap at 4x scopes, not 6x. They have very similar sights options to carbines. They're just standard rifles, not sniper rifles. They should be renamed accordingly.
  7. RolandDT

They are not standard rifles. They are sniper rifles with optics designed for short- to mid-range engagements. They are exact clones of the other sniper rifles - the only difference being the lower magnification optics.
  8. Jhizzle

the whole point of sniper rifles is long-range engagement. The guns are clearly not sniper rifles, and yet have been categorized as such anyway.
  9. KorJax

I don't even understand the role that the ghost and such play considering the nyx does the same exact thing except much better in every way plus you can get up to X6 mag and because they technically aren't sniper rifles, you get no sway either (but the bullet speed/velocity does suck on the scout rifles).
  10. grin

Agreed here. I can't extol the virtues of a laser dot reflex nyx enough. It is my favorite weapon.
  11. ISKNausicaa

If you want a short range rifle go with the Nyx, its lightyears ahead of the Ghost in my opinion, the Ghost is a pretty unforgiving weapon you miss at the ranges it expects you to use it at and its very likely to get you waxed.

I imagine there are people out there that really love the Ghost (and the TR/NC variants) and are really deadly with it. at the moment im just not feeling it at all.
  12. exLupo

The close optics OHK snipers function more like RL scouts (.308 bolt action) than the scout class rifles. I'm surprised they have them broken down into different categories at all. The semi-auto snipers are quite scouty but are in the sniper category but that could be because of the beta assignments.

And the HSR from PS1 was based on a Steyr Scout so it and the SOAS should be name swapped.

Put everything but the SMGs as sniper and the SMGs as SMG.
  13. Urnefar

I wanted the Shadow, until I tried out the Impetus. The impetus is the better rifle when looking at the weapon stats - but, the scout rifles allow for various upgrades over these snipers, including laser-dot for better hipfire, so they are the true closerange weapons
  14. Sphinx

I never understood why people would get a "sniper" riffle in mid-range combat ? You won't headshot them, so you need 2 bullets, by the time you shoot first , bolt action, and shoot again , the guy probably killed you already .. the whole point of bolt action is not to make the sniper too OP from a long range and just point and shoot. Why in the hell would you bring that in mid range and get killed..
  15. Benton!

The definition of a sniper rifle is a rifle a sniper uses. As the infiltrator is a sniper, among other things, the rifles are "sniper rifles".
  16. Jhizzle

Please try to stay on topic. This thread is about the fakeness of the "sniper rifles" listed in the OP. Try to rotate your discussions around these questions:
    Why are they categorized as sniper rifles?
    Should they be recategorized under a different name to more accurately represent their functionality?

and other topics that are clearly related to the discussion. Anecdotes about what you like about these guns are off-topic.
  17. MNO

Hence why they're under the Scout Rifles category, not the Sniper Rifles category? Derp.
  18. Jhizzle

These guns are not under the scout rifles category. They are under the sniper rifle category. Please do not be rude and imply that anyone in the thread is mentally deficient, especially when you don't even know what you're talking about. Being anything but civil inhibits our ability to stay on topic.
  19. Jhizzle

Should these guns be relabeled as "Scout Rifles"? Would this more accurately describe the use of these guns? For reference, scout rifles include: HSR-1, SOAS-20, Artemis, Nyx, Shadow, and Stalker.

I believe the guns listed in the OP are more similar to these guns than to sniper rifles, but are distinctly different in that, I believe, all guns in the OP are limited to 4X scopes, while all scout rifles have the ability to make use of 6x scopes.

edit: Also, I believe none of these guns are bolt-action, which is a noticeable difference from the guns in the OP that are bolt-action.
  20. MNO

I didn't mean to imply, I meant to state. Soz.

Don't blame me for your lack of understanding of the definition of "Sniper Rifle". Who writes the code on exactly what can be classified as a sniper rifle? Generally a sniper rifle is thought of as long range, 4x++ telescopics with high accuracy, and purpose built. You can stick a scope on an M16 and some would claim it has the ability of long range, but most wouldn't argue that it's not really thought of as a sniper rifle.

Purpose built for accuracy and decent range, with 4x++ telescopic? Sniper rifle. It's a game, stop being a *****.

Ugh why did I even get myself into debating this with you, most pointless point ever to be pointlessly pointed out. Selfderped.