Faction switch delay is a MUST

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by _CLU_, Aug 6, 2014.

1. FunBotan

Totally agreeing. And while we have several servers for each region, I don't even see a point in allowing to have multiple chars on one.
  2. ShortRovnd

Welcome to today's gaming industry. With online game distribution gamers are simply purchasing a lot more games and playing each a lot less. So the developers focus on quantity over quality and want your money as soon as possible.
  3. Nody

Because of the server nature; I got an TR alt on Miller (main on Miller VS) and a TR alt on Woodman (soon to be on Miller as well). Why did I create a Miller TR alt? Because the server dynamics are completely different compared to Woodman and I want to see the life on the other side of the coin fighting against VS Miller and NC Miller to help me understand and grow as a player. I'll happily blow up a VS Sunderer I find with my TR character but I'm not logging of my VS and then going, "oh yea I know the VS sunderer is there so lets blow it up" or vice versa.
  4. _CLU_

When we had the reinforcements thing (people can free to play till BR10 if I remember well) the same behaviour appeared and was as annoying as now.

Still, keeping a delay is easy to implement using simple IP/local files techniques every junior coder should know.

Using two computers and resetting IP may avoid the detection (for the simpler tracking methods), but that will discourage a lot of people to instaswitch as they will need two computers with two PS2 installs running. And even with that setup, it is easily trackable main players account and warn/ban him.
  5. RaiMarie

The main use I have for alts on different factions are simply to test out their loadouts in VR. If people was not allowed this option, it would upset them I guess. This is something impossible to fix without hurting the legit players. If TK was disabled though, it would solve everything; however, that will make zergs even more dangerousand take away another challenging element so it only results in many more problems lol.
  6. starlinvf

What about the daily sales? There are a large number of faction only items, and long wait times means you can't hop on, check the sales, then go play on your main.
  7. Shamokin

What would keep these players from simply creating a whole new account just for this purpose?
  8. SuperMedicated

9. _CLU_

With the same PS2 install, a new account on the same server but different faction is equal to a faction switch, so delay applies.

If there is another computer on your network (same IP shared) then it is more difficult to control multiaccount. However, that means that you need at least two computers with two PS2 installs to do the faction instaswitch, and that would discourage people from doing it.
  10. Shamokin

I have honestly never had any problems with this what so ever. I don't think it would be a good idea to have a delay set. And here is why. I have 3 characters on emerald. NC, TR, and VS. I log into all before starting for the evening to get my passive certs.
  11. _CLU_

That was already replied in this thread: just make passive certs automatically collected every day without the need to log in onto the char.
  12. MaxDamage

Had it happen multiple times.

Insert the time delay.

The only people likely to argue, are people who abuse it.
    • Up x 1
  13. _CLU_

Easy: just make daily sales ads account wide. You can buy items from any char. And as SC buying is account wide, does not matter from which logged char you are buying them.
  14. Shamokin

I don't know that Id say that the only people to argue are the abusers, but I will say that I have switched factions sometimes because a friend logged on that only plays a certain faction. Also, I log between the 3 to test some of the guns on sale in VR. Maybe make VR the only area available for whatever time is chosen?

I wouldn't be against it as long as it doesn't hinder me from my normal play style. Grant it, I hardly ever play anything other than VS. As long as I collect certs passively without having to log the alts then I think Id be down with this.
  15. Jaedrik

Op, bro. Listen.
    The devs have said their data and studies show that 4th factioning is not a problem.
    The delay is not needed or warranted at all.
  16. Liam23490

I didn't know there were people so sad that they would actually go to the effort of creating a new character to sabotage the game. I think if you're doing this, you probably need some "help".
  17. KodiakX

It's because you're not wearing your tinfoil hat with paranoid-vision goggle holes.

Then you'd realize every Sundy that dies is because someone logged out, switched factions and then blew them up before logging back.
  18. MarkAntony

Wrong. I got 2 Characters on the same server because of merges and i want to collect my certs which I pay for. I don't abus that system. Your argument is invalid.
  19. _CLU_

That's your opinion. Also, I am not talking here about the 4th faction (despite it only encourages zergs and unbalances the numbers).

BUT, yes, delay will balance and destroy the 4th factioning thing as a side effect. Great for me.
  20. nukularZ

Why not just make friendly mines do zero damage to deployed sunderers? I've definitely had my sunderer blown out out of the blue plenty of times with nothing having shown up on motion detectors, no others signs of enemies nearby.

I can't see this solution being difficult to code in. Change every single tank mine in the game to a faction specific ID, and if the explosion is coming from a friendly ID = 0 damage to sunderer...