Fact is K/D Ratio + Kill Per Minute show how good of a player you are in PS2 most of the time!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by G.O.A.T, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gustavo M

Fixed that for you.
  2. SavageBacon

Score per hour is a better metric. It shows how active you are at killing/supporting. A Lib farming a 1-12 base isn't going to have a high sph over the engine repairing his fellow MAX in big fights.
  3. Reaver027

The only good way to measure if you are a good player is to make yourself known to the enemy. When they see your name or your Outfit's name and get a bad feeling. Because they know this will most likely end bad for them.
    Once you reached that point you are a good player. Until then you are just as average as everyone else :D
  4. G.O.A.T

5. DQCraze

Cause being a great player at PS2 gets me, what again?
  6. G.O.A.T

Score per minute means nothing.

I believe it's actually influenced by whether you have a paid membership/boost because it gives you a higher score for everything you do.

Either way some body with high score per minute could just be farming fixing a MAX who shows him self slightly out of spawn room...so SPM means nothing either.
  7. Deggeh

Implying Mattherson NC are ever not headless chickens ;)
  8. Samblak

False : When 3 Liberators are flying around bombing a platoon / squad and I'm keeping them away by peppering them with my Skyguard is very help full and makes me a good player whether I " KILL " the Liberators or not.
  9. Meeka

The fight might be on the "front lines", as you say, but that is not where battles are worn.

Battles are won at Sunderers and Spawn Points.

You can be K/D'n and KPM'n all you want, but if you're really not contributing to the battle itself, it's worthless.
  10. G.O.A.T

I attack Sunderers and spawn points.....still have a good K/D Ratio and KPM.
  11. FABIIK

Say your squad has turned a point at an enemy facility.
    Several guys guard the point and a couple are shelling the spawn room from Lib/MBT/whatever.

During the few minutes until the facility turns, the tankers and Lib gunners rack up a handful of kills against defenders trying to breach out to the point.

Would you say that the Lib gunner and tankers are better players than the infantrymen guarding the point (or the squad sundy) on the ground, who might have not gotten a single kill during the whole process ?

My answer is no.
  12. Kevibear

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  13. Posse

I'd reformulate it a bit, KDR/KPM when looking at the individual weapon's KDR/KPM stats are a good indication of skill, not the global.

Good luck getting a point without killing anyone dude, unless you're ghostcapping all the time, in which case you're not even playing a shooter.

That's why you can look at the last month's KD/KPM, end of the problem.

There are sites that track you real K/D, so this isn't really an issue.

Skill encompasses everything: mechanical skill (accuracy, etc), knowledge of the game mechanics and your intelligence to play the game (situational awareness, positioning, etc).

Those guys will probably have a low KPM anyway.

The game kicks you if you go AFK for a prolonged time anyway. And yes, it actually means a lot, a player that can get 20 kills in 10 minutes without dying is much more useful than a sniper that didn't die because he was 300 meters away cloaked getting 3 kills in those same 10 minutes.
    • Up x 1
  14. Wizz

I agree with this pretty much.

As for the medic stuff I usually manage to keep a 2 kdr while rezzing and sadly only a .9-1 kpm. Keeping a high kpm as a medic is hard for sure, but no matter what I think you should be able to do whatever task you're doing while keeping things positive in order to be considered a "good" player.

Also, I wouldn't look at overall KPM honestly. I'd rather look at the kpm of individual weapons that the player has a high amount of kills with. On the ground my kpm has been anywhere from .9-1.4 overall for weapons which I'd say I'm happy with. I fly very often as well as an air to air only pilot most times where a .5 kpm is considered pretty high. I think between the two my over all kpm is like .6 or .8? I don't remember, but the overall point is my kpm would be higher or lower if I only did one or the other. Not to mention you can achieve a high kpm doing nothing but farming in a vehicle.
  15. Huxer

LOL dude, no one is arguing that you help your team or that you personally are doing a good job. You seem to be very concerned that your efforts need to be noticed. So,good job, way to help out the TR, on whatever server you play on. All better?

All we are saying is that the numbers you are choosing to hang your hat on to say, hey guys look I'm good, don't really say that. Those numbers in themselves don't really say anything in the bigger picture. I know it won't help because what you are really looking for is validation. I'm going to try to save you some heartache and just let you know that people don't care. You shouldn't be playing for acceptance, play for yourself, and in truth this is the only way the stats can matter...to you.
  16. Ultramarine

No, it means nothing, man. My K/D? .6 ish. My SPM? 123. Sounds like I'm pretty bad right?

So... why are there several outfits trying to wrestle me away from the one I'm a part of into their own leadership positions? You cannot rate a player's ability through their stats. So what if you're a twitch god who can kill like none other? If you can't strategize and overcome superior numbers it doesn't matter. It's also really easy to play with a mass and get high K/D through cheesy gameplay. K/D is too easily inflatable to be a realiable measurement by any means.
  17. Bruno Puntz Jones

If you focus solely on being a good player, you will sooner or later wind up with good numbers. If you focus solely on getting good numbers, it is not at all certain that you will wind up being a good player.

Given two players with identical K/D and KPM, knowing nothing else about them, you can say nothing at all about their skill level relative to each other, or about the impact their play has on the success of their squad, outfit, or faction. One of those players could be highly skilled and have a huge impact. The other could be a nonstop Viper camper or an outright botter.

If the numbers alone can't tell you whether a player is great at the game or a waste of space, then the numbers alone are worthless. Without more, they add nothing. You may even know less after seeing them than you did before, because you might assume both players are "good" when in fact one is terrible. In the context of a the player's stats as a whole, all they tell you is what the person likes to spend most of their time doing, not their actual level of skill.

Among players who genuinely are good at the game, in whatever way you want to measure "goodness," you'll find that almost all of them have impressive numbers across the board. Sometimes there is the odd duck who has a terrible K/D or low KPM because they play well and have a huge impact, but they don't spend much time killing things, they fall into some weird statistical lacuna, or they have a very aggressive, high risk play style. Maybe they spend all their time hunting vehicles (which do not count at all toward your K/D ratio or KPM when they're empty or the driver ejects), or maybe they're always the first one through the door on every push.

Most of the really good players are good all the way around though, and one of the things they tend to be very good at is being able to do whatever the situation calls for, so they tend to play a bit of everything and to be good at every role. Most genuinely good players also wind up leading the fights they are in, either because they like to, because nobody else will step up, or just because people follow them. You can't lead from behind, so they wind up in the thick of it all the time. So generally, among good players, you'll see respectable numbers all across the board, and they will tend to dominate enemies in any stand up fight.

Among players who have high numbers (and even moreso among those who spend a lot of time talking them up), 80% of them are awful. The other 20% are the genuinely competitive players who, when they play, tend to play against themselves and always are striving to be better than they are. These players have super high skill, they know what their numbers are at all times, and they're always pushing to get them a little bit higher. The rest have made the mistake of thinking that having good numbers makes you good at the game, and they spend all their time farming numbers, using whatever the FOTM method is.

You can get any numbers you want on any of the stats in game by running a well tuned farming routine day in and day out. And any time you see extreme numbers, those nearly always indicate someone who is going far, far out of their way to game the numbers and farm stats. Most of the time that person is either a total zero or an outright liability to his team.

A good player is one of those things that everyone (or at least any other good player) knows when they see it, and you can see it either by looking at the stats pages as a whole, or by watching their stream for 90 seconds, or by spending five minutes in a squad with them. You'll get the same clear picture of a high skill, high impact, competitive and effective player either way.

You won't see a single bit of that from just looking at their position on a leaderboard and knowing nothing else about them.
    • Up x 1
  18. Wecomeinpeace

What? I never wrote that "you aren't helping your team" if you have a high k/d, maybe you should actually read the posts you are replying to, might make you look a little less silly.

But seeing what else you wrote i will just chuckle and move on.
    • Up x 1
  19. TheFamilyGhost

K/D is meaningless without knowing Victim Time on Mission.
  20. aceoyame

Any kill stat is useless in a team based game. What about the medic's who almost never get a kill? Or in my case I play as heavy 80% of the time and I am blowing up vehicles which usually don't count as kills and are much harder to take down.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.