Esamir Hex

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Alarox, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Alarox

[IMG]

This screenshot is seconds after the alert, NC at 69% when populations were evenly split around 33%.

This was possible because each faction had decisions to make and strategies to use, which just so happened to work in the NC's favor. For each faction it wasn't just about fighting where the game told you to, it was attacking and defending where it seemed most beneficial to do so, and actually responding to what your enemies do.

The Alert basically worked like this: The TR had most of it coming in, they focused their attention on Jeager's Crossing to hold back the NC. The VS had much more to gain from attacking the TR and left the south open, and the NC had more to gain in pushing through the chokepoint made by the TR. The TR split their forces early on so the VS gained the upper hand, and an hour in they were losing with the VS in first place. The NC remained in 3rd place because they focused all attention on trying to break the TR defenses next to the warpgate. Once the NC finally broke through, the VS already had most of the territory and the TR were back at their warpgate. The TR were solely focused on the VS, and the NC had free reign to capture the territory behind the TR's chokepoint, and all the territory in the south from the VS. VS were too entrenched in their battles, and the TR had no choice but to push the VS, leaving the NC with a chance to win. The VS and TR attempted to defend specific bases, and the TR even tried for a land grab through the south, but the NC quickly threw everything they had at any stray territories to prevent a comeback.

In the Lattice on Indar, I've never seen any kind of dynamic like this. The only real strategy is to attack the faction with the most territory until everyone has about 33/33/33, and then its all about who has the best choke points from their respective warpgate.

On Indar, you only capture the continent because you have a population advantage, and you only lose the bonus because you're outnumbered or getting 2v1.

Esamir is dynamic, and continent battles like this Alert occur frequently with more depth than anything I've seen on Indar's lattice. Maybe its just because its Esamir, or maybe its just because it has a Hex system, but I'm sad to know that its changing.
    • Up x 4
  2. Excretus Maximus

Awww, they're adding that stupid lattice crap to Esamir?

EDIT: I actually like Esamir because it allows small groups to actually do something. The lattice system deters small groups of three to five people from doing anything and encourages mindless zerging.
    • Up x 1
  3. Alarox

Yeah, next update I believe.

They can have Indar and Amerish, even Hossin (which might be better since its designed with Lattice in mind). But I'll miss Esamir.
    • Up x 1
  4. Cab00se187

Ya it sucks that a team based game discourages a couple of individuals from joining the team. Bad design decision :rolleyes:
    • Up x 3
  5. Eleo

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  6. DeadOnArrival

I am not a hex fan, never have been, never will be. I still hope they leave one continent with it for all the people who are fans of it to play on. I will never go there personally without a compelling reason and they never need to leave. Both sides are happy. Do this!
  7. Excretus Maximus

Condescension and deliberately obtuse arguments help no one.
    • Up x 2
  8. Alarox

A small squad fighting the enemy is still being part of the team. People complained about "ghost capping", but countering those guys and having a 5v5 or 10v10 (or 1v10, true story) have been some of the funnest battles I've had, infantry wise, and it helped maintain our territories. You don't always need a large group to get stuff done and be effective.

Eariler today on Indar the TR were at 18% control, but the VS and NC were fighting each other and the only NC platoon fighting the TR was at a stalemate. I got some friends together and we took 3 territories which removed the TR bonus, doing some infantry combat along the way.

Other times a small group could so something like all getting aircraft and providing air dominance over a battle, or bringing tanks in for a flank on enemy armor, or all getting annihilators and locking down an area of the map.

Just because you don't want to join a zerg, it doesn't mean you're not helping the team (i.e. your faction).
    • Up x 3
  9. UberBonisseur

Dead horse beaten. The only thing we can do now is take Lattice up the *** and hope Higby duct-tapes any kind of interesting mechanic on it by the end of his 10-year plan.
    • Up x 2
  10. Tommyp2006

If you dont like lattice, stop playing ps2 now, because IT IS NOT GOING AWAY.
  11. Hobo Jack

also esimir has only 1 tech plant. and no single base that dominates the entire map like the ascent on amerish or the crown on indar. ALSO there is not nearly as many large towers most of the fighting is done on either small outposts or large facilities like the bio labs or amps stations.

i agree that the lattice system needs a lot of work in it's current form because frankly the game was more fun before the lattice. the majority of the players i play with boycott indar its a disgrace
    • Up x 1
  12. Eugenitor

We did.
    • Up x 1
  13. Alarox

• Up x 2
  14. AtheistPeace

You can't please everyone... That's all I'm gonna say.
  15. PyroPaul

ironic, because the Lattice actually has been discouraging the creation of squads and 'teams' as players are not required to find sizable engagements... simply follow the lines until you find a big enough fight.

I have seen Less Platoons and Squads active in areas that have Platoons of players in them.

So yeah, it is a bad design decision..
  16. Flashtirade

Misleading graph is misleading.
    From 11/20/12 (approximately when the game was released) to today, 7/15/13: http://steamgraph.net/index.php?act...id=218230&from=1353391200000&to=1373864400000

Also lattice is coming, whether you like it or not. I managed to get some sneak peeks due to a glitch in which the lattices appeared but weren't actually in effect. I don't know what causes it or even if this is these are the ones that will go live, but it's happening eventually. It's already coded.

Esamir: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/920140477387056373/B683BD862023FC0DC36C7D99993BBA073192F43B/
    Amerish: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/920140477387061905/39131FF52BDE014D3A20604503CE686035A650CF/
  17. Tommyp2006

that is not the lattice system for those continents. That's a bug that shows hex connections with lattice links.
  18. Cl1mh4224rd

Why are there so many people that believe the team-based nature of this game means that everyone needs to roll around in the same massive group to be part of "the team"?
    • Up x 1
  19. Tommyp2006

Why do people think that just because there is a lattice system, you automatically have to roll with the zerg?
  20. Cl1mh4224rd

That's a bug that everyone experiences. It's also not the upcoming lattice for those continents; it's just the current hex adjacency represented with lattice links.