Empire Specific Tank Utilities - if all factions had access to them...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NovaAustralis, Mar 16, 2014.

1. NovaAustralis

Here's a hypothetical for the tankers out there...

So imagine if all the factions (TR, VS and NC) captured and reverse-engineered the Empire Specific technology of their foes? :eek:

Specifically thinking about the Empire Specific Tanks (Prowler, Magrider and Vanguard)
    and their Empire Specific utilities (Anchored Mode, Magburner and Shield)
    what combination of tank and utility do you think would / wouldn't work?

Prowler Anchored Mode - already in
    Magrider Anchored Mode - the Magrider relies on its strafing and hover for improved mobility, so would sacrificing all that for more firepower be worth it? (This probably wouldn't work with the Magrider fixed main gun... but a simple fix would be to allow the Magrider to turn on the spot, but just not move forward / back / strafe.)
    Vanguard Anchored Mode - Vanguards already tend to play to the 'stop and shoot' tactic, due to having to make every shot count, so simply stopping as usual for the added benefit of being able to lob more shells at higher velocities would be welcomed warmly by the NC, methinks! (However, if ambushed, they would be even more screwed than usual...)

Prowler Shield - 5-8 seconds of 3000 extra HP on a Prowler? It would certainly help with charging forward in a tank rush to close in and use dat Vulcan / Marauder, etc...
    Magrider Shield - the most delicate tank of the three could use a Shield in some situations. This combo would mean Magriders in trouble could pop the Shield, strafe to cover and repair, then come back to fight again. However it could drive C4 fairies and AV Heavy Assaults mad with frustration...
    Vanguard Shield - already in

Prowlburner - the Prowler is the fastest tank already, so would a speed boost be that much more beneficial or would it play to that strength and really work well?
    Magburner - already in
    Vanburner - the Vanguard handles like a stubborn mule at the best of times, well here's that kick the rump to get it moving that I'm sure many NC would like to have! But then we have the most armoured tank moving quickly...

Please discuss! :)
  2. Copasetic

I think if all the abilities were NS everyone would just use the shield.
    • Up x 12
  3. Bortasz

You nailed.

Turbo and Siege mode (Anchor) are to situational. The shield is good when you take damage. So it ALWAYS good.

I'm okey with reverse engineering tech from other faction as long as it is not copy passe, and the new thing is not the best thing in the game.
    Example:
    All faction get 2 new carbines that copy way of thinking from other faction.

Coping TR(Fast shooting carbine)
    What I don't want:
    GD-7F is the fastest carbine in the game. (Fire rate: 845)

What I want:
    GD-7F is the fastest carbine in NC arsenal. (Fire Rate: 750)

Coping NC(Hard hitting Carbine)
    What I don't want:
    NEW GUN is the hardest hitting Carbine in the game. (Max damage 242)

What I want:
    NEW GUN is the hardest hitting carbine in TR arsenal. (Max damage 167)

Coping VS(I have no clue what is trade of VS)
    • Up x 1
  4. FaLI3N

Yer, as copa said I would roll the shield on my maggie all the time. Who cares about a 1sec speed boost when you can 1v3 enemy armor that you flanked easily. It is the only non-situational ability and I wouldn't see many other maggie tankers going for lockdown. Lockdown would be good on the Vanguard however and I would run that over the shield as it would mesh well with my prior preparation, flanking stealth playstyle.
    • Up x 1
  5. Bortasz

I have other question.
    Does anybody think that somebody will use Turbo?
    Shield is always good.
    Lockdown is good for farming from long distance.
    But Turbo...
    • Up x 3
  6. Frosty The Pyro

lockdown be my preference, at least on prowler and vanguard. though vanguard having 100% of its cycle be reload would get a bigger effective boost than prowlers do, I think a locked down van would actualy do more dps than a lockdowned prowler.

you are over estimating shield, it will let you win a 1v1 brawl, but you will still lose a 1v2 without some other signifigant advantage (such hitting rear armor), and a 1v3 would require incompetent enemies. the shield is at most a 75% health increase (unless it times out, then its only a boost of however much it took before timeing out).
    • Up x 2
  7. Accuser

Been playing NC lately and miss Prowler Lockdown -so- much.

I like skirting the edge of the battle, identifying the vulnerable and/or critical enemy assets and then having the firepower to take them out by myself. Killing Sunderers is rarely a priority for pub players, so killing one by yourself at range has the potential to completely change the tide of a battle in your side's favor.

Incidentally, NC MAX Falcons are also -excellent- for this purpose ^_^
    • Up x 2
  8. Volccis

Either Anchored Magrider or Magrider with Shield. Both are good but maybe Anchored Magrider would be more fun because it hasnt cooldown.
  9. MarkAntony

I'd use the anchor mode.
  10. lothbrook

Anchor mode on my Titan AP would be pretty sexy, plus the enforcer is pretty good at long range. Magburner without the Magriders agility would be terrible though, if magriders think they kill themselves too often with it, imagine a racer VG doing 100 KPH rofl.

The shield would be OP as hell on Magriders though, the ability to dodge long range shots, stabilized turret, and then popping a shield when you got close would just be ridiculous.
    • Up x 2
  11. Schwak

Vanguard with deploy would be OP as hell. Getting shot with rounds that do 1/4 of your health every 4 seconds is bad enough, couldn't imagine every 2 seconds.

The most likely scenario would be that everyone would just run shield and it would be a DPS race in every fight.
    • Up x 2
  12. Slandebande

Unless you are running HE or something similar I would see no idea in running anything but Shield, and even with HE I would most likely still use Shield over the others. I'm really not a big fan of Anchor, as it is such a sitting target dummy for any decent player that knows what they are doing.
  13. GardenOfSilver

AP Prowler with a Vulcan gunner, close range with shield? Yes please.
    • Up x 1
  14. Alarox

Some people would use Anchor. Most would use Shield. A few would use the Magburner for specific things.

Prowlers would be the dominant tank in every situation, Magriders would end up outclassing Vanguards in most situations.
    • Up x 1
  15. Flag

To avoid the shield topic, I'll just say that I'd have a great laugh seeing the VGs and Prowlers when they boost their way to suicide.
    It would happen. More than I think NC and TR would realise without having played a fair bit of the mag already.
    And I'd want to hear their reactions, it would be that delicious.
  16. FaLI3N

I am not overestimating anything, as I said further down when talking about the Vanguard I use a flanking stealth playstyle so 90% of tank engagements start with shots on rear armor. As I can already kill 4 lockdown prowlers in a row with magrider without taking more than 50% damage I do not think it would be too much of a stretch to say that I could kill 3 vanguards who are used to being able to just pop shield, turn around and win.

I already see stealth vanguards that use a similar playstyle to my own and they escape 1v1 encounters with no damage taken and the shield still up, add the ability to mitigate damage through avoidance and I am fairly comfortable with my previous assessment.
  17. lothbrook

Except it'd still be less DPS than a prowler in lock down, lol. I maintain that the tank that can dodge shots at range while firing accurately at anything charging it, and then popping a shield when anything gets close would be the most OP and by a good margin.

Biggest issue is everything would be boring as ****, as if everyone did just take the shield it would come down to who snuck up on who or got a shot on the side/rear armor every single time, lol.
    • Up x 1
  18. deggy

The VG could actually deal more damage locked-down, I haven't mathed it out. The Prowler has a 0.5-second delay after each shot which is not shortened by Reload Speed or Lockdown certs. The VG doesn't have that, so it would get more of a cycle time reduction.
  19. Flag

Actually, the VG has 2 x 0.5 seconds (so a full second) that isn't influenced by the anchor buff.
  20. lothbrook

1043 for the prowler (this includes the .5 second delay after each shot), 997 for the VG.