Drifters should lock out C4 just like Stalker Cloak locks out

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Klypto, May 23, 2014.

1. eldarfalcongravtank

C4 nerf for LA, no!

coaxial machine gun for tanks, yes! (even if it is just a much weaker kobalt)
  2. z1967

Mount Kobalt-F on tanks.
    ????
    Profit (maybe)
  3. Clay

Drifters with C4 are fine. Let Light Assault have this cheese, it got no rocket launchers at least.
  4. MrJengles

Just wondering a few things. In this scenario the enemy utilizes three things:

• Using an ESF as transport and bailing
    • Drifter Jets
    • C4
    How much of a problem do you find each of these? Drifters seem to be the target of this thread but couldn't the same be achieved with Jump Jets?

Personally, the one I find immediately stands out as an oddity is the idea of someone deliberately jumping out of an attack craft, forgoing the on-board weapons, to attack a tank as infantry. Something about balance must be wonky for that to happen.

This isn't a topic I've delved into so far. I generally side with C4 should destroy tanks, but I'm hoping there may be ways to bring them more into line without neutering them. No ideas though.

Oh, I'd also love to see a co-axial machine gun on tanks because it just makes sense. Infantry point out they get killed by AP rounds but the driver doesn't have an alternative. At least that might happen a little less if they had a MG and conserved their AP ammo for other tanks. That's another topic though...
    • Up x 1
  5. FaLI3N

Why are so many people getting caught up on the light assault part? All of these deaths are caused by try-hard ESF pilots bailing when they get shot by a beamer to save their K/D and then going for the first easy kill they can get with their c4 before redeploying to the safety of VR.

I say remove all jumpjets from aircraft, if you want to land safely from height there is a certline for that and an implant. That ESF cockpit looks too small to fit a whole jetpack on your back anyway. No more bailers killing tanks with no counter-play after losing their vehicle 200m away and no more lost kills from people trying to save their K/D. Two birds with one stone.
    • Up x 2
  6. Longasc

There is too much C4 in this game. And its used more often and more effectively than rocket launchers or anti-tank weapons against about everything. But I got told C4 is fine. Naaa, it isn't. And naaa, LA's are not to blame. It's the C4.

Time to think about that. Maybe other weapons are just crap if it's C4 against anything. This is also why Liberators work so well, they are hard to C4. XD
  7. TheFamilyGhost

Nerf threads are so sad.

Look. You got what you were trying to dish out, and got killed. Take your medicine like the rest of us, dust yourself off, and get on with it. Don't be one of those people that rush to the forums every time you get frustrated. Be a player! Be something you can be proud of!
  8. Stargazer86

Oh look, it's the C4 thread again.

Let's sum things up: C4 isn't OP. Tanks farm the heck out of infantry. Don't complain when you die.

Of course, I'd quite enjoy it if they added another class to the game called 'Pilot" and restricted the majority of vehicle access to this class only. Limit their weapons to pistols and SMG's. Remove the 'timer reduction' certs from the vehicle lines and combine them all into the Pilot for one overall global timer reduction that affects all vehicles.

No more self-repairing Engineers, no more bailing Light Assaults. The only thing other classes can drive are Flashes and Harassers.
  9. LibertyRevolution

Some guy bailed from an ESF and managed to drop 2 bricks of c4 on your tank while 50+m above you, so it needs to be nerfed?? :rolleyes:
    Screw that, I say make a ribbon for that feat, maybe even give the guy a medal.
    • Up x 4
  10. Revanmug

It's not really hard to do. I've done a few time against MBT when I got tired of seeing them there with nobody attacking it. It's cheap but effective considering he has no way of stopping this. Even radar, the "anti-C4" perk won't help them since you are out of range.

That's assuming the LA player has a minimal amount of talent in this video game, something you lack badly.
  11. Klypto

Rocket launchers are not a threat to Vanguards. They are an annoyance.

People who hate me and want me to die and tell me about it all the time.

It's not only ESF's, they also pull Galaxies and bail or libs, strafe it with a tank buster, and then bail and try to C4. Some of them know how to fly, some of them can't. The greater annoyance is when someone uses up all of their rocket pods / nose gun wasting 2-3 minutes of my time and then bails to try to C4. My opinion of them is that they are bad players that just keep trying because of hate. Otherwise known as "Mad Because Bad". I do not want them to have the option to jump out and try to C4. It's a cheesy tactic, and it's extremely annoying.

In a way I am hoping that in new resource system when blow up their tank/sunderer/harasser/ESF/Liberator/Infantry/Max they won't be able to afford to pull an aircraft just to bail and try to C4 me.
  12. m44v

I do feel C4 is kind of cheap in the LA, mostly because the risk/reward equation is lopsided for them than for other classes, the LA doesn't need to touch the tank for destroy it.
  13. LT_Latency

My C4 is powered by the tears of tank drivers.

The only people who complain about C4 are players who have never actual used it.
    • Up x 5
  14. Nerovox

Because getting C4'd from a guy slowly floating in the air for everyone to see obviously has nothing to do with poor situational awareness or anything.
    Sure there is that time when you get too close to a building or cliff or whatever, but at that point any jet load out can C4 you.
    • Up x 2
  15. Nerp

I use drifters to destroy tanks all the time, they're the most wonderful thing an LA could ever have.

I do get where you're coming from though. I'll fly from the top of a biolab, or a jump pad, or any high place I can reach just to get a tank that's blatantly farming my guys. The thing is that when such an environment does not exist, or the tank is too far away, drifters will never be enough to destroy a tank. A vanguard on the move is still much faster than a drifter LA. The only time you'll get killed by drifters is when you stay in an area where there is a lot of high terrain for someone to climb on, and you stay in the same general area for long enough so that at least one person sets his eyes on your tank.

If it's people from the air bailing to get you, then that's a different story. I guess if they want to get you so bad, they should be given a chance. It's not like they know how to do anything else if they need to resort to throwing away their air resources. It's not like they'll succeed every time, but they deserve a shot at it if they're so desperate and helpless. I'll admit that I do this too, but only to take out AA from my lib if there's just way too much of it.

Bailing from the air, I can probably cause the same damage with jump jets as I can with drifters. From the ground, Drifters will increase my range by quite a bit, but it's still nothing that can't be avoided/ expected. I also rarely see anyone who uses drifters, and even more rarely see people who actually use them effectively. Whenever I pull my prowler, it's usually either air or enemy MBTs that get me. Rarely is it an LA with c4.
  16. MrJengles

Right. My point is the LA jets are being used to fly, the C4 to blow up vehicles (even though there may be room for a small restriction).

On the other hand, the aircraft are not being used as vehicles helping out in a fight, they're being used as throwaway transports for the sake of a more effective infantry-based anti-vehicle weapon.

Both ESFs and Libs are attack aircraft that could fight a tank themselves. If bailing out is more effective, or even anywhere near as effective, then we have a balance problem.

Galaxies are at least transports but you're still talking about individuals throwing them away to "bomb" a tank. They're not bombers, so you could still ask the same question of why didn't they pull an ESF or Lib to counter the tank?

This sort of cheese could certainly be removed:

• Can't exit ESFs or Libs without ejection seat unless you're very near the ground.
    • Can exit higher up with an ejection seat, or from a Galaxy, but these all place you in drop pods.
    I've always wondered why Galaxies don't have drop pods and ejection seat doesn't actually have any sort of ejection method anyway.

Plus, it fixes the cheesy LA C4 "bomber" planes and LAs that bail when they're losing a dogfight all in one go.
  17. Hoki

If I could get NAR paired with prox-radar again, I wouldn't care about C4. It was free xp for me back in those days.

But prox-radar and NAR competing with the same slot, this complicates things, particularly for skyguards, and drifter is like the least of the worries.
  18. Hoki

Can't aim up.
  19. Hoki

Well thats either you or your partner's fault entirely. You guys killed me a couple times and the only reason I noticed is because of your /y chatter.
    While I don't get rattled by talk in online games anymore, I'm too old for that ****, don't be surprised if you get a fanclub for the wrong reasons if you verbally t-bag after encounters.
  20. Silvermyst

To the original post:

Locking out C4 for light assaults won't stop much at all. Lots of people also just use ejection seats (and now implants that stop fall damage) to drop onto tanks/sunderers from any height with any class.

LA's might become less popular, but engineers with tank mines, or HA's with C4 will just take their place. It won't stop anything and will make LA's even less popular than they are now.
    • Up x 1