Drifter Jets: soooo disappointed

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WookLordz, Aug 12, 2013.

1. WookLordz

So they were supposed to fix the drifter bug that got introduced in GU13.... Well they kind of did. They work better I suppose but they are still are herky jerky. I suppose it will be months before this is truly corrected.
  2. Zenanii

You'll live.
  3. WookLordz

Did I say I wouldn't survive? It doesn't look like you play very much LA so please either keep it to yourself or post something constructive. It reminds me of when they jacked up the vehicle turret aiming. Aim is not smooth during flight and they still get slightly caught up in sideways movement.
  4. Chinchy

Someone actually uses the drifters?
    • Up x 4
  5. Kulantan

Knowing how and when to use your fully certed drifters is the sign of a good LA player.
    • Up x 4
  6. Zenanii

The buffs to drifter jers were kinda cool but completely obsolete. What with momentum and stuff, you can really only travel in one direction, making you a extremely easy target. They completely screw up your crosshair so shooting on the move is out of the question unless you're at point blank. They are really only good for air atacks from galaxies or a high-elevation base (in which scenario they are completely unaffected by the issue at hand either way.
  7. WookLordz

Drifters are the best way to flank and close the gap. Yes, they have momentum, so all the CoD kids can't ADAD their way out of the line of fire. I don't play that way.

Seriously though, I ran drifters almost exclusively after they granted the ability to ski, so they are not as situational as you seem to think. For an experienced LA anyways.
  8. TeknoBug

I used them lots pre GU13, auto shotty+drifter JJ in generator or cap room = dead enemies :D
    • Up x 1
  9. WookLordz

I prefer the Thanatos semi-auto to the full autos, but yeah.

Don't forget drifting over to the back of a tank, and C4ing it. Much safer than being in the air....
  10. Torok

I want my pre GU13 jump jetpack back :V
    • Up x 1
  11. WookLordz

The regular JJs? What happened to them?
  12. Zenanii

If I want to flank someone, I'd rather do it from above. Not sure what you mean by "closing the gap". If you're just talking about covering ground, that's really risky as infantry, and you're better of just getting a flash. They have their uses no doubt, but outside of niche situations, I find them largely outclassed by the jump jets.
    • Up x 1
  13. Torok

They added "momentum" to the regular JJs in GU13 and with that they are less responsive to changes of direction and takes longer to take you higher between each "tick" of spacebar, the result is that it feels sloppy, slower (which will often ends up in you being killed because the maneuver wasn't fast enough) and will make you use more Fuel.
    Turning around corners at towers is really slower now
    • Up x 1
  14. WookLordz

Close the gap: get close enough to use your shottie or CQC carbine and not get torn apart by other classes long range weaponry. Obviously not head-on or you'll die. So yes, covering ground, but in a firefight. Not talking about transport.

So, think of it as flying around a building, instead of over it. It takes a paradigm shift, but it is very effective, and it is effective in a lot of situations where JJs aren't, such as open fields between bases, with many ridges and boulders, but no buildings.
    • Up x 1
  15. WookLordz

WTF. I was wondering because they seemed a little clunky, but I hadn't used them in forever anyways. Did the regular JJs really need any "fixing?"
  16. Torok

No, and it wasn't even written in the patch notes but on a twitter post, they just thought, hey let's add this so-called "momentum" to ******* everything.. there you go :(
  17. WookLordz

I would say that's fine.... IF they give 3-5 more seconds of fuel...
    • Up x 1
  18. Paqu

Nope, they didn't need any tuning at all IMO. I mean there was not a single complain topic in here claiming that the LA's are too fast.

Well at least drifters now work on ground level, but the extra speed you could get by going downwards either with jump jets or drifters is gone for good Iam afraid. Its better to run on ground instead of gliding as the speed is the same.
    • Up x 1
  19. Torok

I'm very sad right now, because we don't know when it'll happen, could be 3,4 gu's away or 6 months from now, I always found the Light Assault Flawless in spite of all the people saying UP herp harp, but even though it's still viable it is now frustrating to play, which is something it never happened to me with the Light Assault before

p.s. I'm probably overreacting, but the nerf was uncalled for, I still score epic kill streaks as ever but sometimes you need that maneuver to be fast enough and isntead you get stopped by your very same jetpack you use to escape
    • Up x 1
  20. haldolium

Maybe when we get the LA update.... in February 2014
    • Up x 4