Dont understand the point of SMGs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Choggo, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Choggo

I love planetside but I feel like the addition of smgs is just a money grab. Now I take everything back if the overall plan is to make them a secondary weapons, otherwise I feel they are just totally redundant to the carbine, which already fills the need of short range combat.
    At the very least I don't understand why they are making smgs for all classes, but still restrict assault rifles and carbines.
    My suggestion, which I've felt since tech test, is to make the Assault rifles and carbines a default weapons for all classes (cept INF) the guns themselves have their own balance, so why are they class restricted? Is there some unbalance that would be created by a engineer using a rifle?

This would also increase SOE sales, since people who focus on 1-2 classes, will have more purchase options.
  2. Clay Pigeon

They're probably so infiltrators can use something other than sniper rifles.
    • Up x 3
  3. Yautja

Moneygrab.
    • Up x 1
  4. Itermerel

id prefer if they left smg out and just added new weapons as they have been, i have a feeling smgs will be op and everyone will buy it, OR they will suck like the lock on rocketlaunchers and no one will buy lol
  5. Lambchopz

The reason for restricting weapons is the same as any class-based game. It's a balance thing. You don't want a support class running around with an LMG, for example.

As for SMGs, I'll be getting one if they are available to Infiltrators. I don't actually like sniping, but I do like the hacking and cloaking ability of the Infiltrator when it's needed, and I like filling that role. With an SMG, I'll be able to actually defend myself well while doing it.

It's not a shallow cash-grab. It's adding diversity and options to those that want them. Nobody is going to force you to buy an SMG. If it's not worth it to you personally, then don't do it. People who want them can have them. Nobody loses here.
  6. ed_anger

I would assume they will continue to offer new weapons every couple months, so get used to it.
  7. AccelPrime

Variety is the spice of life! I'm personally quite excited to see SMGs enter the battlefield. If SMGs are available to the infiltrator, there's a good chance i'll actually start using the class.
    • Up x 1
  8. Ghoest

this

Unless they are super powered 'I win button" just deal with it. The game is a for profit enterprise.
  9. Flarestar

^^^ this

Every class already has an SMG equivalent except the infiltrator, and giving them a better close range alternative than the automatic rifle they already have (which is already nasty as hell at short range) won't meaningfully change anything. More than likely the new SMGs are just shoehorned in due to a policy of "no patches without cash shop items".
  10. jelf

I think they are going to be sidearms. Right now there's a serious lack of choice for sidearms and SMG fits in well.
  11. Lord Robert

I'll probably buy one, but I don't know for sure yet. I hope they are not going to go the "make em OP when you launch em, sell a whole bunch, nerf later when people complain and say you listen to the community" strategy lots of F2P's do.
    I guess since this is the first new class of weapon being introduced since launch, we will learn a lot about their business model come the 30th.
  12. Choggo

Now I didn't say anything about LMGs, only carbines and rifles, and to counter your post, look at most other shooters, support classes always get the LMG, because LMGs ARE support weapons.

My issue is I would just like to see more options for each class, but adding a whole new weapon class is unnecessary. I agree with smgs for cloakers, and LA, make is limited like the Battle rifles.

Even tiers would be ok, so not every class gets every gun.

Cloaker- sniper, SMG, scout rifle
    LA- SMG, Carbine, shotgun
    Medic/engy - Carbine, rifle, shotgun, battle rifle
    HA- Rifle, LMG, battle rifle, heavy weapon.
  13. {joer

Back when I was a kid my father took up golf. He could hit the ball a mile but wasn't very good beyond power. For years he would try new clubs to help his game out. I got a few excellent sets of clubs, including the ones I'm using now and that was some 15 years ago for the these. I'm sort of bummed he sold the Tommy Armours though, but I digress.

You see my father blamed his equipment in part for his own failure. Once he realized the problem really had little to do with the clubs, as he always bought top of the line, his game improved greatly.

Now to be fair, many weapons in PS2 are subpar to other options, but the lock on rocket launchers are not one of them. I have all the lock on launchers and all do very well with their role. In fact at this point in the game its the ONLY reason I play a heavy, situational AV.

So while you are blaming the clubs here, you may want to look elsewhere for the failure.
    • Up x 1
  14. Choggo

a class should be defined by its roll, not the weapons they get, I should be forced to play a medic because I like rifles, or engy because I like carbines.
  15. phreec

I've been holding off from buying the Stalker full-auto scout rifle for my Infiltrator until they implement the SMG's. Finally they're here but I'm not spending a single cert or smedbuck on them 'til I see the raw stats. But yes, for the other classes I don't really see the point of using a SMG either.
  16. LordMondando

This would be a good nieche.

None of the other classes seem to have any real use of them.

Maybe... but as I understand it, the entire point of a sidearm for most classes (again to the issue above). Is that its the gun you switch to

1) in combat you run out of ammo, its quicker to pull our side arm than reload
    2) if you run out of ammo overall, its something to fight with.

Giving everyone a high rate of fire Cqc weapon they can just whip out at will, seems OP and would make a lot of existing CQC main rifles/carbines redundant.
  17. Itermerel

if you think the lock on launchers are good you're a madman. they're too weak to even be taken seriously. if you've ever killed an esf with a lock on launcher, chances are they suck bad
  18. HerpTheDerp

No way they would be sidegrades, they would need to be anything but SMGs for that to be even remotely balanced.
  19. {joer

See you are blaming the clubs. I've killed about 60 ESF's with my launcher, and gotten dozens of assists. If you expect your free respawn weapon to oneshot an ESF you are crazy. Likewise the G2G lock on is fantastic for shots you would never hit with dumbfire, even if its damage is lower. Then you have the annihilator which is the lowest damage, and has the least tracking of all the lock ons. Sucks right? Wrong, its range, rate of fire, and speed still make it quite useful. I do not get many kills with it, but I will add to damage to large targets and can hit things I have no business hitting otherwise. We once got a squad to use them together and it was a total denial of air and ground for the enemy.

You are looking for always getting a hole in one. In reality you play for par.
    • Up x 1
  20. TeknoBug

I like the Artemis for my VS infil, I don't like to snipe but I like to be sneaky and thankfully there's an option for that.