Does the Prowler benefit too much from offset fix?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Meowmar Katafy, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Meowmar Katafy

I've seen talk about the Reaver and Vortek being much more deadly since the offset fix and as I cannot speak to that as I haven't encountered much air since the patch, I would like to pose the same question about the Prowler being more effective with both barrels hitting the same area.

Have you encountered increased Prowler deaths since patch? Leave feedback and try not to discuss in a vacuum but also do not throw whatever you can to see what sticks.

I have noticed as infantry I have died a bit more to the prowler but nothing excessive.
  2. bodmans

prowler was already firing from the cam, saw that in a vid 2 weeks ago... not sure if i can find it
  3. Slaidd

The prowler was already the best tank vs. infantry compared to the other two MBTs. It is even better now, and has widened the gap even further.

In more general terms, I don't think the prowler needed a buff in the first place. But they got one, all under the guise of a "fix".
  4. Separatists

before the update i actually had to aim a bit to the right or left, depending on if it was the first or second shot im firing for my prowler.
  5. Badname82

Only really effects AP prowlers. Also benefits vanguards. Magriders already had no offset (at least none that I noted in my limited use of them)

Sure does help my AP vanguard pop infantry at long range a little better where a single pixel can be a miss.

Too much benefit? Not to a prowler or vanguard imo.
  6. ValorousBob

There's no such thing as benefiting "too much" from something that was essentially a quality of life/bug fix. I honestly kind of liked the realism we got from having projectiles leave from where the actual barrel was, but everyone else disagreed.
    • Up x 3
  7. Rhapsody

uploading a quick video of the 'fix' in practice, and the advantage it gives all tanks (including magriders... they DID have an offset, but it a small one). Once its uploaded, i'll post it here.
  8. DuckSauce

The only thing stopping the Prowler from being blatantly OP was the fact that its driver had to deal with a gun offset. Now that that's been removed, I think we need to nerf the Prowler.

(Relax, this is a Reaver joke)
  9. Slaidd

The increase in the accuracy for tank guns as a result of the 'fix' lends a LOT more weight to the argument against any kind of splash damage buff in the future.
  10. Oheck

I can't believe there is another thread about this. Maybe I'm just a prodigy or something, but I thought after first realizing a tank round lands a couple pixels to the left of the reticle, any shots made from that point on are with the reticle offset to the right of the target...automatically. Without thought. Reflexively. Am I mistaken in this? Do the rest of you have to whip out various tools to calculate the offset during combat?

I'm just baffled that a second thread on this has popped up.
  11. Slaidd

You shouldn't be baffled that ForumSide 2 players are playing to ensure their actual gameplay time is as easy mode as they can possibly get it. They did a wonderful job highlighting the offset as a "bug" and portraying their request for a buff as a "fix". SOE bought it and viola prowler even better. Never let a made up "crisis" go to waste!
  12. Rhapsody

Here's your 'advantage'.

Barrel is 100% obstructed, even partially INSIDE the obstruction.. yet... it still hits the tree on the other side.

First we have AV turrets that can fire invisible missiles, and cause damage when set up outside of rez-range to the drivers.. Now we have tanks that ignore terrain. Whats next? MAX's with Jump-Jets?
  13. Ned

• Up x 1
  14. Vortok

If it somehow causes a major shift in performance, it'll show up in stats and the devs can adjust things accordingly if they deem it necessary.
  15. Jestunhi

All tanks firing from the same place instead of based on the models is an advantage for one specific tank?

Surely it's actually equal footing (barring slight differences in height? not sure if the camera is higher for a taller vehicle)?

:Edit:

Re-read and you didn't specify one tank gets an advantage, though I'm not sure what you are comparing it to if all 3 have the advantage.
  16. Oheck

That has nothing to do with what the op was posting about. What you are showing is a poorly thought out and implemented adjustment to the prowler, which I whole heartedly agree needs to be fixed.

Thing is, they can't do it. You can't have a side mounted tank barrel that converges exactly on a centered reticle be useful at varying ranges without some means of being able to adjust that convergence. As they had it before the round coming out of the barrel ran parallel to the players centered view on the tank, which is why the round would always hit slightly to the left of the reticle.

What they did here with this 'fix', instead of modeling the tank with a CENTERED barrel, they just did a lazy change and had the round originate from the players face/view, which is why it seems like the tank can now shoot through objects with an obscured barrel.

If they were feeling ambitious, they would have the round originate from the barrel, and have the convergence automatically adjust based on the range of the target......but that could cause its own set of problems.

Personally, I'ld say either have some modeler push and pull some vertices around and center the barrel, or put it back the way it was, cause I can say it was never a big deal for me having it fire slightly off center. I don't recall seeing many prowler folks complaining at length about it.
    • Up x 2
  17. DuckSauce

I use one of these, personally:

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  18. Rhapsody

Its not purely a 'prowler' fix. As it now applies to ALL tank barrles if the patch-notes are anything to go by (and i'll gladly hop into the NC and VS, VR Rooms, and prove it if you'd like.

What they did, is take a weapon that had a uniqueness to it (it could hide more of its right-side behind a rock or wall and rotate the off-set barrel around to shoot at enemies, but was at a disadvantage when firing 'left'), listend to people who couldnt learn to watch the barrel of their tank as well as were their x-hairs were pointing. And decided (as with Lattice) to completely remove any 'skill' requirement, or even learning curves. Now, we have tanks which can fire threw terrain at will, so long as they have 1 pixel of their crosshair in a 'laser-line' clear view of their intended target. You now have tanks that can shoot THREW rocks, and kill infantry. Yet my missile has to go AROUND said rock, in order to hit the tank?

How is that fair in any way, shape or form?

It wouldn't really cause much of a problem.. if they did 'half' of that. And mimicked what happens in PS1. Your x-hairs 'shifted' over whenever something obstructed the barrel. The x-hairs stayed where your bullet path would go. So if you rotated a turret, and its barrel was blocked by a rock, your x-hairs would 'shift' to be on-top of said rock. Not 'fixed' in space in the center of the screen.

Its an advantage to 'tanks' in general, that they now can fire THREW terrain. But any anit-tank weapon still has to go AROUND that terrain. Thats what im getting at.
  19. Meowmar Katafy

Is
    Vanguards and Mag would of made that shot as well correct? Not sure if its so much of an issue unless a tank is actually obstructed and shooting through objects with no threat of return. From that view it looks like you could still hit half the tank.

Does the center fix allow Mags to low profile a rock while shooting through it even though the barrel is obstructed, Vans to an extent too, which only a small amount of pixels popping out?
  20. Rhapsody

pretty much, yea.

The only reason the front of my tank was poking out is due to another rock to the right of me making it hard to turn the tank fully.

But, yes.

This will make it so that any vehicle that was given this 'fix', will be able to pretty much use the ability to fire 'threw' terrain, to make it even harder to offer return fire, while they have no trouble at all hitting their targets.