Does my computer really meet the recommended specs?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by reydelchicken, Feb 26, 2014.

1. reydelchicken

I posted a thread a bit ago, talking a little about these strange and random FPS drop issues, and I didn't get any remotely useful responses, just people saying "yes I have those too". So I want to know if my computer's specs are good enough for this game. Or if a specific part is causing a bottleneck.

Processor AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    Name AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
    Resolution 1024 x 768 x 250 hertz
    (RAM) 8.00 GB @ 1600mhz

The processor is running at 4GHZ (stock), and will soon be over clocked as soon as I swap out the stock cooler.
    The GPU is running at 1050mhz, and the gpu clock is running at 1250mhz.

I am running the very low preset in game, with the exception of render quality, which is 100%.

Is there anything wrong with my system, or is this yet another item to add to the already massive list of technical issues with this game?
  2. LordMondando

Processor will be fine, I have the same one. Works better with an OC.

Do you mean you have a 7870HD becuase thats what it sounds like from your clocks, your describing a series of cards not a card in your OP.

So yes, it is. But.

Could you describe the FPS drops and the situation you get them in more detail please. A lot more detail.
  3. reydelchicken

I forgot to mention it in the OP, but yes, I do have a 7870.

A video with the issue.
  4. starlinvf

Aside from AMDs being sketchy, do you get the same issue on med or high presets?
  5. reydelchicken

Yes I do, I get the same issue with pretty much every config I've tested so far (including all the presets).

It seems to happen randomly, and happens even at warpgates, but isn't too noticable since my fps drops to around 120, which is still very playable.
    On larger battles, my fps drops from 40-50 to 5-10 fps, and this really makes the game unplayable.
  6. LordMondando

Ok, I can't see the numbers which would help, but I definitely see what you mean.

No. Not normal with that hardware at all.

to be honest, from my own experience with the hardware, biofarms do stress it, but my first guess there is frames are taking way to long to render there for a reason above and beyond that.

Educated guesses are.

1. A game file has corrupted, this happens from time to time, open the station 'launch pad' and valdiate the game files through that, it'll redownload some if it fails its md5 checksum which it should do it if its ******.

2. It's actively using virtual memory and paging stuff at these moments. Is so its a memory issue and the OS is making up for partly faulty ram by involving the hard drive in things. Then its look at the ram time. Is it properly seated? Do other memory intensive programs (various adobe editors, even firing up chrome and open a ******* ton of windows with loads of stuff going on in them should trip this issue).

3. Drive conflict, recently updated drivers? Didn't clean the old ones, this can sometimes cause what are notiously fickle bits of code to gain extra instability. PLenty of driver cleaner tools out there, remove everything (don't worry screen will still display etc if your not familiar with doing this) reinstall them clean.

If it gets this far and nothing still, I'll have another think because then we get into the territory of..

4. A very, very weird and rare software - hardware conflict. Impossible to diagnose beyond nothing like it appearing in any heavy computational situations ni which loads of stuff is flying back and forth between the CPU RAM and GPU.

5. Any of the above computer faults being brought out by PS2 putting the system under load. Might have to swap in replacements or put components in another computer to start tracking down then.

So yeah, figunres crossed its 1., good luck and get back to me with any salient details. Or if you think its none of this, more data please.
  7. BlackDove

1024x768 at 250Hz? WTF?
  8. reydelchicken

I have a crt monitor, I use this resolution as my desktop.

I used to play the game @ 640x480, but the map obstructed too much of my FOV so I instead swapped it out for a bit of a bigger resolution.
  9. reydelchicken

I've tried this a few times, and it returns me a message saying that all my files are OK.

My computer has enough RAM according to the recommended game specs.

I also did some testing, and there isn't anything in the background that could be using up my memory while I'm playing.
    For additional info, I have disabled all the non-essential services on my computer, have no apps running in the background except for my memory usage analyzer (I still get the same issues when this program isn't running), and usually don't go over 5gb of overall system usage even at peak times.

I have the latest standard drivers that I downloaded from the AMD site, in my settings, I have not changed anything except from the display settings, for resolution and refresh rate.

I have done some testing with the 'high performace', 'balanced' and 'visual quality' profiles, yet it doesn't seem to make any differences.

I don't think it's something like this, as it doesn't happen in any other game, or application that I run.
    Even when I boot up into linux and play some games, such as xonotic, and quake live (before it turned standalone).
    I guess I could possibly be something related to hardware, I will try reinstalling windows again, maybe I'll try running this game under windows 7, and it might make a difference.

I haven't done extensive checking on my hardware, but so far it seems healthy, I've checked my temperatures, voltages, etc.
    Power supply isn't getting over-stressed, and the voltages it can supply correspond and are compatible with all my hardware.
    My CPU and GPU aren't overheating even when the system is under heavy use.

I could possibly check my hardware a bit more extensively, but I don't think it's necessary since I don't see anything wrong with it; just this game that seems to be lagging out for some reason.

Perhaps using the beta drivers or the drivers from my GPU manufacturer, instead of the generic drivers could help me. I will give it a test run as soon as I get back to my computer but I'm not so sure this will make a difference.
  10. MrScrubbypants

What's your render distance at? I had mine at 6000 and started dropping frames every fight. Turned it down to 200 and now I almost never drop below 45 fps.

Also, it's actually recommended that you run your graphics settings on ultra, as this should give you better FPS if your GPU isn't your bottleneck. If I remember correctly, the game has to actively compress things like textures on the lower settings, and this can eat up CPU power.

Having an AMD processor probably isn't helping. PS2 tends to not get along with AMD based machines.
  11. BlackDove

Well, an 8350 is supposed to be about the same as an i5, and my two year old i5-2320 has no problem running the game on ultra, including flora and shadows with a 660Ti. Isn't the 7800 series roughly equivalent to that?

The question is: why are you using a CRT with such a low resolution, and an absurd refresh rate? I'm guessing you're not even using Vsync?

If you want to play modern games, you might want to set the hardware up in a modern configuration(like a 1920x1080 monitor, properly calibrated, with Vsync or G-Sync).

I don't know why you're getting absurdly low performance, because you should be able to run it on ultra on an 8350 and a 7800.
  12. reydelchicken

I have my render distance set at 2000, since I enjoy gunning and flying. I have tried playing with render distance at 500 when I play as infantry, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

You mean texture quality right?
    Or do you mean that overall quality should be ultra. If this is the case, it's not something I would like to do, as I rely completely on my aim, and having 40ish fps would just ruin my aim completely.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Planetside 2 is the only non competitive game I play, the reason I don't use my LCD to play this game, is because I'm used to the CRT configuration.
    Besides that I play quake, unreal tournament; all of them in LAN tourneys or other high-skill events, where every millisecond of delay you can shave off matters.

About your question, I don't know either, my computer meets and exceeds the recommended specifications in every area.
    This must be some other issue, but I still have not found the cause.