Do you use the PTS?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by IamDH, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Dramma Lamma

^^ This guy gets it ^^
    ;)

Very good job condensing my wordy post.
    • Up x 3
  2. WyrdHarper

Yes, our outfit uses it for scrimmages and mossie training every week. We also generally get on after big patches to try things out and test them, and we use it to tour new bases or continents so we have a map advantage on live.
  3. Iridar51

1. Devs don't listen anyway
    2. Stuff that goes onto PTS rarely even works, and has little to no correlation with what goes live.
    3. No incentive.

Going to PTS to preview the possible upcoming changes or shiny new weapons for 5 minutes I understand, but hanging out in that broken desert for longer time seems fruitless.
    • Up x 1
  4. MorganM

You can get 500 GB for $50 USD. Can't afford it? Put it on your Christmas and birthday list.
    • Up x 1
  5. MorganM

I use it rarely but encourage everyone to get on there! It's one of the rare conduits I've seen to actually get the attention of devs and have a conversation about what's going on. Playing around in Hossin alone is totally worth the download; it's a rad continent.

It's funny how people begged to get one, slagged on SOE hard for not having one, and like nobody freak'n uses it. Don't gimme these excuses about how they don't listen, doesn't matter, etc etc... it does matter, they do listen, and not enough of us give a damn to be bothered to log in, try some stuff, and provide feedback.

The few times I did log in and test things. I found some bugs and concerns. I posted this info. I got feedback from devs. So I frankly don't buy all this talk about how they never listen and it doesn't matter. There's a few examples of it but there's examples of the opposite. I think it's a convienet excuse people can throw out and justify their lack of involvement in the development process.
  6. Tar

Not really. I pay SOE enough to expect they do their own testing.

As for updates I'm not that eager for disappointment, I'm content to go through it just once, when the inevitable terribad ideas make it to Live.

As for feedback, I usually can decide what I like or not like without having to try it, and that's what I voice here on the forums, so why bother.
  7. sustainedfire

Another reason I dislike the Test Server, is that it takes an inordinate amount of time to patch.

For some reason, its been installing this current patch and taking over an hour, and it has been the same way each time I attempted to get on the test server.

Too much time, no reward for participating in a productive way, and as others noted it takes away your time that could have been spent collecting certs in the real game.
  8. TheBlindFreak

Honestly, I only use it when I see something intriguing in the PTS patch notes.

But I'm even more discouraged to use it after that one horrible live patch that was only on the PTS for 3 days. I believe that was the death screen revamp.
  9. JorgeSarcos

I have been interested on trying PTS, but seeing it doesnt matter if bugs/glitchs are discovered or not they will make it to the live server i ask myself: so whats the PTS for? so i simply wont waste a few Gbs fo my hard drive on it since it will be useless
  10. Zotamedu

I tired playing on PTS for awhile but I just don't have the time. I don't play that much and what time I have to spend I prefer spending on the "real" game. Also, I needed the space on my computer.
  11. OldMaster80

Yes the deathcam case really made me Wonder if it's Worth playing on the pts: not even the time to test it and it was already online.
    Then I dont get b why devs discuss possibile changes on reddit instead of using the official forum.
    • Up x 1
  12. Camycamera

sometimes, but rarely. whenever i go on there is hardly anyone on. but i go on to check stuff out like the new knife mechanics and hossin etc.

the longest time i actually tested was back when OMFG was getting made, and they had PU1 on test, and there was battles going on.
  13. Ronin Oni

I use one already.

Frankly I don't feel the need for a second HDD, and I don't want to deal with changing where program files are installed.

I'll get a TB or 2 sometime in the future, meanwhile, I just need to clear out some games I'm not playing :p

Like PTS.... I loaded it for maybe 30-60 min every other month... hardly worth the disk space usage.
  14. Astriania

Yes, but it's pretty disillusioning when PTS feedback is ignored and unfinished or unwanted stuff is pushed to Live before it's had the obviuosly bad bits hammered out in PTS. Please, SOE, leave things on PTS a while longer and listen to what they're telling you about it. The flak you're getting over missions is exactly what the PTS feedback told you, for example.
    • Up x 3
  15. NoctD

Case in point - the all pointless missions system.
    • Up x 1
  16. Sen7rygun

1. Every PTS "patch" is 8gb+. The data volume is taxing for some, the patch time is taxing for everybody.

2. It's not actually a "test server" so much as a "here's whats coming and you have no say in it" server. Our feedback is mostly ignored.

17. SamDaMan

Personally i love to help out game devs with games, however like everyone says it's not really a "Test" server. If i saw devs talking with people on bugs and seeing patches get put out for them then i would be all over the test server. Usually i just hop on to see what they are adding in this weeks patch and if i should wait for another week for the fix or whatever else they do.
    • Up x 2
  18. khai

Only for those brief periods where something I want to try is on the test but not main.
  19. reticentbassist

I don't use the test server, I prefer to spend what time I do have for games on Live. If I had more time to play, than maybe I would play on Test server.
  20. bPostal

I don't really use it because it's oftentimes empty. The last time I was in an actual fight on the PTS was around the time points B and C were moved down hill at the Crown. Even then I didn't stay long because it was something like 15% TR, 10% VS and 75% NC.

It's just empty because it's empty, like trying to set up a multiplayer game with people entering and leaving the game lobby because there's only 3 people in it.
    I dub it the 'Planetside effect'.