Do not buy the new Pump Action shotguns.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by framperton, Apr 10, 2013.

1. framperton

All right, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Also, you can skip these next couple of ranty paragraphs if you want, I included them to provide some context.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ACTUAL BIT ABOUT THE SECOND SET OF PA SHOTGUNS:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So with that diatribe out of the way, lets get down to brass tacks about why the newest patch of Pump Action shotguns are a total waste of certs and money in their current form.

First lets look at the one and only advantage they have over their predecessors: A 10% (134) increase in damage, and one additional pellet. I say these separately because it (A) Increase the probability of the shotgun hitting at all, and (B) the chance of the shotgun hitting with an additional pellet, both of which are mutually exclusive.

That's it. That is it's only advantage, which is in part negated by it's largest disadvantage over the previous PA.

Here are some comparisons from the weapon data spreadsheet (for the sake of it, I will just use the TR PA data, but please understand that aside from projectile velocity, the values are exactly the same across all factions.

Take a look at the spreadsheet if you will, but I will provide the relevant data here:

Without Further Adue:

TRS-12 Uppercut (First PA) does:
    DMG: 134x10 (1340) Damage per shell
    ROF: 100 shells per minute
    Spread: 3.0
    Projectile Velocity: 300mps

The TAS-16 Blackjack (Second PA) does:
    DMG: 134x11 (1474) Damage per shell (+10%)
    ROF: 86 shells per minute
    Spread: 3.5
    Projectile Velocity: 300mps

Every other statistic regarding CoF penalties/advantages, as well as ammo pool,projectile drop, and recoil are identical. The only ambiguous stat is reload time.

So in essence; The Blackjack is pretty much a redundant version of the Uppercut. There is no advantage to the extra pellet in a point blank scenario (the only distance where it's existence would be the most useful), as the Uppercut can preform just as well in that role, in that they will both kill most infantry instantly.

It's usefulness at range with standard buckshot is also nonexistent over the Uppercut in that it has a significantly larger spread, and slower rate of fire. Assuming I'm interpreting the number for "spread' to mean that the lower number is more accurate, then that makes the Uppercut a far better option at longer ranges as well.

If spread is meant to be interpreted as larger numbers being more accurate, then obviously this would be another point in the Blackjack's favor, but from my VR testing exploits, the Uppercut preformed better.

I will update this post later, but my 'Testing' involved finding a target in the VR room and firing at it from 20m away. The Blackjack constantly killed the target in 5 shells (an entire mag) whereas the median of the Uppercut was about 4.5 shells. I will post a video of tests out of 10 assorted targets for each in a bit.

As for slug sniping, there is no difference between the two shotguns. They will both kill in 3 hits at longer ranges, but in that respect, the Barrage (or other 'accurate' version of the semi autos) are better for that in that it keeps the same/similar stopping power as well as the projectile velocity.

That's just my two cents on the matter, stay tuned for vids.
    • Up x 3
  2. Lampenfieber

I have to google it to find the stats of this new shotgun...

+10%
    Slow fire-rate
    Spread shots

Have to go to the VR to see some difference between the old and the new... its a joke!

This is the new thing? SOE is gonna nerf the old weapons to promove the new ones? the old pump action have nerfs... and after this a new one appears, with some nerfed stats... what a coincidence!

The release LA39 Bruiser is too much similar to the old GD-66 Claw.
    • Up x 1
  3. Codeak

Doesn't matter people are gunna buy it anyways.

Soe put this out just to have another PA out there to make it LOOK like youre making a smart choice after you decide on one.

Its like buying the carv s, you have to pay for it yet the carv does the same exact thing and you're one cheeseburger more poor.
    • Up x 2
  4. TeknoBug

WHen I play this game I'm not going to even bother getting to close combat, why bother.
  5. Codeak

because one hit kills and 7 killstreaks thats why, a lot more profitable then any long range gun i guarentee you.
  6. SgtBreastroker

The Deimos has the exact same stats as the Phobos and is only more shiny.

gg SoE
  7. ladiesop

I dunno. My best (non-vehicle) killstreaks I'm sure are with the SAW or EM6, and I've not managed to match what I could do with the Sweeper with the Claw.

I pretty much agree with the OP though; the Claw is better though the two are so similar. With the SMGs, at least with the NC ones, there feels like a huge difference but I guess they are two damage tiers apart, which you're lucky to see with the automatic weapon types anyway.
  8. TeknoBug

9. Codeak

• Up x 1
  10. framperton

Pretty much. The Blackjack looks like it was dropped in a vat of chrome.
  11. Leal

You do know now that SOE is going to nerf the first shotgun to get people to buy this new one right?
    • Up x 1
  12. Bad News

That is nothing new, that is how free to play games work. How else would they get ppl to buy new guns if the old one is better?
  13. Codeak

yup
  14. Aisar

I actually like the slightly faster ROF with the Uppercut, it also appears to reload slightly faster? Missing or not getting a full shot with a PA is really bad so I will definitely stick with my Uppercut, especially considering you are already within fatal range and if not then using the weapon wrong. So yeah I would say the new PAs are kind of useless and silly,

SHOW ME THE MONAAAYYYY!
  15. Zaik

interesting, it was 12 pellets initially on the test server.

oh well, they did specifically say they just copied old test data from before it had been "balanced". apparently the slugs were OHK headshots at any range or something too.
  16. AxiomInsanity87

Yeah uppercut all the way.

Still waiting on them vids.
  17. FateJH

Been waiting for a long time, haven't ya?
    • Up x 1
  18. Gundem

Having araxiumed both gen PA's, I prefer the 2nd gen.

The reason being that with the damage bonus, inside 5m you are more likely to OHK your target. Araxiuming the 1st gen PA was quite a frustrating experience due to how often the 1st shot left my target with a sliver of HP.
    • Up x 1
  19. AxiomInsanity87

It wasn't me.
  20. Currann

No, but you did necro a 2 year old thread...