Definitely pay to win.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ReptilePete, Oct 11, 2016.

1. The Rogue Wolf

This is an abject load of crap. Premium members do not "absorb" headshots.
  2. adamts01

I think he was trying to say that was a myth. At least I hope he was trying to say that. I can't imagine anyone really thinking that.
  3. Balake

Pay to win would be better weapons because they paid for it. You have to play more conservative and not go headless chicken in and die. And using more time to get the same weapons as pay to win is ********. So what? Get yourself a good teammate, practice together and get good together and you will see the certs pouring in like it does for those who pay.
    And how is it not relevant? The post was faster nanites and certs. I said we had no problems with either and you said its not relevant? You cannot pick ant choose in my argument like that. As you would spent money, i would not. And that is my choise, so what you get faster nanites? Well then i have to play better than you and i will strive to be better than you. This game is not pay to win, and anyone who says it is got a loose grip on what the term means.
  4. adamts01

You have to play better to beat someone who's paying. That's quite literally the definition of pay to win. I don't think this game is bad about it at all, but it does have some small pay to win aspects.
    • Up x 1
  5. Balake

TOP DEFINITION

pay-to-win
    Games that let you buy better gear or allow you to make better items than everyone else at a faster rate and then makes the game largely unbalanced even for people who have skill in the game without paying.
    BETTER GEAR, BETTER ITEMS AT a faster rate. As with my arguments against you are picking and choosing in the defenition on what suits your argument
  6. Balake

so what you get faster nanites? Well then i have to play better than you and i will strive to be better than you. This game is not pay to win, and anyone who says it is got a loose grip on what the term means.
    You have to play better to beat someone who's paying. That's quite literally the definition of pay to win. I don't think this game is bad about it at all, but it does have some small pay to win aspects.

• [IMG]

And before you say it. No, because the whole defenition is based upon Better gear, better weapons
  7. Halkesh

About headshot, I've do the test : only infiltrator nanoarmored cloak and heavy with resist shield can survive a sniper rifle headshot at close range (I didn't tested with railjack). Heavy with stock shield can survive a sniper headshot only if he active the shield 0.5sec before being headshotted.

About P2W.
    No, planetside 2 isn't a P2W. At worst, you can say it's a freemium game.

This is what would happens if PS2 was a P2W game.
    • NS weapon can be unlocked with cert only if you've been member at least once
    • Member can trial attachements for 1hour with nanites
    • MAX, ESF and lightning can be pull only by member, they are nanite-free
    • Liberator's aferburner, MBT ES ability can only be used by member.
    • Only member can use flash cloak wraith device.
    • When playing as infantry, member swpawn with a "flash summon box" : it spawn an unarmed flash out of nowhere.
    • When playing as infantry, member gain 20% damage reduction against small weapon as a passive (headshot included), nanowave armor is removed.
    • Member redeploy time is shorten by 5sec
    • Deathtimer is increased to 45 sec for member
    • When a member character dies, he automaticly ask for medic (V-2) at the moment he die. Allies medic see a arrow on their screen to guide them to the corpse to revive.
    • Only member can use AI mines
    • VR training is reserved for premium member
  8. Daigons

This post in a nutshell - Lazy players who are too cheap to help pay to keep this game alive but they want all the benefits of being a member.
  9. adamts01

I never liked that particular definition. And by your own statement, neither do you.
    "And using more time to get the same weapons as pay to win is ********." ~ You ~
    I don't consider "pay to lessen the grind" P2W, same as you, and that goes against your little definition you posted. So don't act like you're not picking and choosing out of some random site's definition.

I think this one is more accurate. But the length of grind is obviously subjective.
    Wikipedia. "Pay To Win. When you are paying for advantage which normal players don't have access to unless they either pay too or will have to grind very long (weeks and months)."

Paying customers have the advantage of better nanite regeneration. Which lets you throw more grenades, place more C4, pull vehicles more often, place more mines, and like you said, not have to play as cautiously. Sure an OP gold gun would be more pay to win, but you're dead wrong if you think quicker nanite regeneration isn't an advantage.
  10. adamts01

I've spent $300 on this game and have a year long membership, and am probably arguing more than anyone else that this game has pay to win aspects to it. I don't think you've summed up this thread very accurately.
  11. Cyropaedia

I can say anythings on the Internets!

I am so flush with cash I have probably spent $250 on bountying people. :p
  12. adamts01

I don't care one bit if you spend millions on cocaine and hookers, or spend $250 on a video game, people should be free to do what they like as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. I was just countering his argument that only non-spending players are arguing that this game as pay to win aspects. Not everyone only pushes selfish objectives.
  13. Savadrin

I'm not sure you're familiar with motivating people then. What makes it worthwhile to sub for $15/month if there's no tangible benefit? As is, it's really small when compared with what almost every other F2P game does.

Besides that, I just flat out disagree. The people who are willing to keep the game running by contributing their own money should enjoy a benefit over those who just leech off of the F2P model. Otherwise, there's no game at all.
  14. FateJH

Well, the only kind of advantage adamts01 blacklisted is a tactical kind.

Now we'll need a thread discussing the meaning of the word "tactical," won't we?
    • Up x 1
  15. Savadrin

Lol. Not from me. But as I outlined in my post above, the advantage is mostly measured in the (1) minute range per item or pull. if the difference was 100% or greater then there would be a serious problem, to me. This isn't even accounting for the fact that you're only losing vehicles at that rate through bad luck or gameplay choices - It's not like manned vehicles expire on their own.

Is ONE extra grenade per two minutes going to turn the tides? I doubt it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/2o3sfl/what_game_is_the_worst_offender_of_the_paytowin/
  16. adamts01

Well that's a great point, and a solid argument against the F2P system. The reason I paid a ton of money was to speed up the grind. Like by light years speed it up. I don't feel bad about that because a free player could catch up to me and be at the exact same level without spending a penny. And maybe that's it. New players speed up the grind, vets get camo and crap, but by that point they've probably already paid their dues and shouldn't need to buy a membership. Or the game company can keep using that money and keep cming up with new gear to grind and a reason to speed up the grind. However it's done, I just don't feel like you should be able to buy an advantage on the battlefield. I don't have many ideas as to what could be done instead of just speeding up the grind and camo. You and many others obviously feel like there should be more. And that's a great separate topic. But as for this game being slightly pay to win, I do agree with OP. But again, I don't think it's that big a deal, otherwise I wouldn't be playing the game.
  17. Savadrin

I think the benefits of membership are enough for a person who already wants to support the game. It's a bonus to resources that allows me to pull faster in very specific situations, but +90% of the time I'm cruising around with full nanites anyway.
    • Up x 1
  18. stalkish

+1 to this.
    Also being a long term player, BR120, sitting on ~38,000 certs last time i even looked, the 'benefits' for being a member are pretty much 0 to me.
    Throw into the mix being locked out of conts by the balancing system and watching the non members in my squad get warped in at the same time as me, i begin to wonder if there is any in-game reason at all for me to remain subbed.

Also tbh, i had the complete opposite experience to OP a few months ago when my subscription lapsed. I found it had 0 gameplay impact on me. Infact the only reason i actualy re-subbed was because i feel morally obligated to pay for entertainment i readily enjoy every day (well almost every day, damned RL commitments :D) of the week.
    • Up x 3
  19. ReptilePete

Why is Bird Channel?

Anyway its nice to see that the majority of people agree that this is definitely pay to win. How can it not be when you get more resources. That means more tanks, ESF, everything! More stuff means more options, more fun, more freedom to play. I guess a lot depends on your definition of win, Strictly speaking there is of course NO WIN in this game, which I think might be confusing some people.
  20. Pikachu

Bird Channel is youtube filled with videos of small cute parrots. :3