Dear SOE...Population

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SenorBeef, Dec 10, 2012.

1. 13lackCats

Connery is still rocking.
  2. Pinchy

Thirteen lack cats.
  3. tjalfe

i think there is always enough people on mallory...
    BUT it have turned into a vehicle spam which gets insanely boring fast -_-

so i dont play more then maybe a few hours a day now before i get too annoyed with the op sht vehicle spam and logof to play something else.
  4. maxkeiser

Same for me as well. Been playing on Woodman EU since launch. I'd love to know where all these cheaters that everyone is complaining about actually are??
  5. NevilClavain

I really like this idea. Yes!
    Just have an ability to transfer characters regardless of what server its on and limit # of servers. So when one is full, just open another and ppl playing don't have to make a new char they can just play on there. Not sure how feasible this is but it's preferable to having many empty servers.
  6. Gavyne

Catch 22. It's only a perception that a game is dead or a failure if they merge low pop servers shortly after launch. But if they don't merge low pop servers, it'll tick off a LOT of customers and they in turn will leave. This happened to Warhammers Online, Mark Jacobs didn't want to merge the servers early as it'd give them bad press. But by not merging low pop servers, he ticked off the players that actually wanted to play the game. The server merges came too late and the result was a loss of a lot more people than they needed to.

This game doesn't have Warhammer Online problems, but there are maybe a few low pop servers they could merge, and they should do it soon The bigger issue is for them to implement gameplay mechanics that funnel players into the same places, giving people a reason to fight over the same specific places, and giving players an endgame feel & result when they do succeed at pushing and fighting hard for them.
    • Up x 1
  7. NevilClavain

Right now as it stands:
    1) There is NO endgame
    2) Base defense has NO point
    3) Base capture is meaningless, as leaving a territory to move on to another means it will be re-captured within 5 minutes, forcing you to backtrack.
    4) Following a zerg mindlessly does not constitute gameplay, it's an exploit of broken faction ratios per continent as there are no limits
    5) There is NO satisfaction in following a zerg and meeting no opposition when your faction has 90% pop and enemy 6%
    6) There is NO satisfaction in being decimated by a zerg when you are the one with 6% pop and the enemy with 90%.
    7) Game is dead for now, permanently if these are not addressed asap
    • Up x 1
  8. MeDPaX

I see this in every fail game, one side will back the game 100% and the other's see the truth.

I would like nothing more then to see this game make it but in this day and age when you release a game, it better be top notch and if not be patched to it asap.

Love the game, but I see the truth. 8(
    • Up x 2
  9. Gavyne

The fact that this game is F2P and it's quite unique in its own genre (MMOFPS), this game should have less trouble getting people back into it than other pay to play games. Those backing the game, I assume you mean someone like me, I see the truth. The truth is that this game isn't perfect, but it's fun enough that folks like you above actually do like the game and you do want to see the game improve. Even you just stated above that you love the game, there have been people that ranted for pages and yet still they admit they play the game heavily and they love the game. So let's be real, if they patch the game up to be acceptable performance wise, if they add the gameplay and locking mechanism you are looking for, you'll come back to play this game again even if you rage quit tomorrow.

That's the truth, and that's something doomsayers don't want to admit. I don't get why people like to call doom, as if they get some satisfaction out of it, then they come back to play the game or play other games that this company creates. If the game is bad enough that you just absolutely sick of it, you wouldn't be here, you wouldn't be posting about it, you wouldn't be wanting to see it get better. You'd be gone, like most that dislike the game.

So for the sake of hoping the game get better, posting constructive criticism while offering suggestions to the devs will do this game much more good than simply calling doom and attempting to act like you hate the game (while spending a lot of time playing it both ingame and on the forums).
  10. Hexxed

Yeah, just loved waiting in those ques and doing nothing. Good times! This game is so boring now. They patch out bugs, crashes... everything I liked after release . And biolab fights... I don't even want to say anything about it. Few hundreds in one base? That's just laughable! Every game out there got this kind of numbers nowadays.

[IMG]
  11. Zxypher

Dear SOE,

At this point in time, your game is completely unplayable for me.

[IMG]

Please discuss the possibility of a full refund and compensation for time.

(That was a joke).

Seriously though, population locks need to be a thing and they need to happen quickly. I now have a BR 36 character that is useless because I'm always outnumbered 5-1. (Helios NC)
  12. Metsuro

So at the middle of the night no ones on? Who would have guessed.
    • Up x 1
  13. Zxypher

People are on, plenty of them in fact. They are all the other factions though. Also, it's 6:00 am. It's morning now.

Even during primetime we are outnumbered, just not to this extent.
  14. Wrel Developer

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you.

SOE had the right idea, with giving bonus experience depending on the gap... but as people progress in battle rank, I'm noticing that the incentive is no longer there.
  15. Metsuro

6am on monday morning. A weekday. When the world goes to school and work... You complain about server population?

The only way to maintain a high population all day is to have Asian countries and Russia play on these servers. Like in Eve, when the EU and America goes to sleep our Russian overlords protect our bits.

Not the brightest bulb in the bundle huh.

Its 6am. ON a week day.

People are asleep or going to work.

But another point alot of people seem to forget. Its a 3 way fight. Look at Esamir or Indar. If both losing factions fought the TR the populations would be equal on esamir. If TR and NC worked together on indar... same they'd have roughly even population.

The majority of the problem is due to not so balanced factions gear, factions perfer fighting only one other faction. Instead of playing smart, people just want to play to feel better.
  16. Rothnang

My server is similar, except NC is the faction that always outnumbers the others...
  17. Darkane

Clearly, people are online, I don't think his complaint is that no one is playing. It's that the faction population is way out of whack. Apparently only NC goes to work and school then.
  18. Jomo

Are you trying to infer that the TR and VS are a bunch of bums with no job's and no schooling? I think I'm offended ;)

Populations are going to spike and fall depending on your time of day, what's going on in the server, so on and so forth.
  19. Hodo

The funny thing is, every server is like this for one faction or another.

There just arent as many people playing as at launch 4 weeks ago. So lets merge the servers and cut down on the chaff.

Last night at 11PM (2300) Eastern Standard Time, on Jaeger, TR were outnumbered by about 10% by the NC, but the Vanu were about the same as TR.

But on Connery, Vanu had the largest population during this time by about 15% over NC.
    • Up x 2
  20. Zxypher

Yeah, I'm sure every server has this problem in one way or another. My issue is that nothing was even really attempted to fix this. The Exp bonus is a joke. It didn't work in the first game, why would it suddenly work now? Along those lines you can't even make an educated decision about where to make your character because you can't see the actual numbers anywhere.