[Suggestion] Daybreak, Stop making NS weapons/vehicles

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hotbread, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Hotbread

Making NS weapons/vehicles of everything that everyone can use is making all the factions play the same. I can have a character on each faction with the same loadout and it feels exactly the same.
    Faction uniqueness is a huge part of this game! Faction unique weapons are harder to balance but result in a much more in depth game.
    Does anyone agree with me?
    • Up x 1
  2. The Rogue Wolf

Wrel has said that they want to work on faction-specific stuff. One of the main problems is that faction loyalists will immediately go nuclear if they think their faction-specific stuff isn't highly superior to what the "other guys" get*.

( * This second part is my opinion, not Wrel's.)
  3. Hotbread

That's certainly a problem, but I'm fine with say the NC having a great shotgun, the TR having a great LMG, and the VS having a good carbine for example.
    rather than just, hey remember that 3shot TR pistol? Everybody can use it now!
  4. adamts01

I'm actually completely for more NS weapons. I'm not that new of a player, 96 on TR, and 50ish on VS and NC. I've bought a few of the NS weapons and love being able to use them on all of my accounts. That help to new players aside, I like NS weapons because it's impossible to **** up balance, with is a constant griping point around here. They also take much less time and $ to make, so we get more content. In a perfect world, yeah, pump out some faction specific weapons, but at the rate Daybreak releases things I'm happy with NS for now.
  5. TheSunlikeOne

That's right - you are fine with shotgun. While a lot (if not the majority) of NC players are sick and tired of shotguns. We need more railguns.
    • Up x 1
  6. Pikachu

What? NS weapons can be just as overepowered as any other.
    • Up x 3
  7. CapEnTrade

Doesn't matter put it out and deal with the collateral which would inevitably be a good and healthy thing. Eventually balance would be achieved. Wrel is a master at it.
  8. TR5L4Y3R

ns weapons cost less and require less ballancing
    faction weapons require each faction to at least have a different look (rocketlaunchers and, shotguns)
    or worse have the empirespecific factiontraids .. TR spammability, VS accuracy, NC alphadmg
    and be ballanced then be ballanced

when it comes to keeping the game fresh ns weapons can be thrown out more regularly than a ESweaponpakage ..
    there is also an advantage for new players or players that want to by a bundle who can use a loadout across all factions
    say pdw, tengu or baron + hunter, blackhand, commisioner, pilot or emmisary f.e.
  9. DIGGSAN0

The Problem is that NS Weapons "can't be overpowered" because every faction can get them....
    Meanwhile people want Empire Specific Weapons but if someone has something that others do not have...there will be a conflict...it alway was and always is.

The grass is always greener on the other side.
  10. UberNoob1337101

Not really. If anything it gives DBG less incentive to balance if they do **** up.

See the Commissioner for example, literally everyone uses it because it's OP. I can bet that 70% of the community uses the Commissioner on any faction, and that completely kills variety. Literally no tryhard players use anything else than the Commissioner. The only reason why the entire community isn't raving about it being OP is that everyone has access to it. If it was a ES weapon, it would've been nerfed into the ground in 2013.

On the other hand, you have a lot of NS weapons which are super niche and never used. They're not balanced, they're relatively very bad, but barely anyone complains about them being bad because they're NS and nobody really cares. If they were ES, you'd see a different story.

Just because it's available to everyone doesn't make it "not OP" compared to rest of the available arsenal.
    • Up x 4
  11. adamts01

Balance as far as faction vs faction, which is what everyone complains about. Sure the new NS weapons are a cash grab, but they're reasonably expensive for free players. Them not being balanced vs other weapons is a minor concern compared to a TR weapon being OP compared to an NC weapon.
  12. Armcross

13. DIGGSAN0

That is exactly what i said
  14. Kyle2412

I couldn't agree more, I hate seeing so many new NS weapons. Allowing everyone access to the same weapons may be nice and easy, it might be convenient, and sure it is perfect for balance, but it is also boring.

The balance argument also falls down completely as soon as you look at current ES weaponry. The clearest example is the MBTs.

The Vanguard, Prowler and Magrider are all fundementally similar in that they are extremely powerful vehicles able to deal with any threat effectively depending on loadout, gunned by two people. And despite them going about that task very differently, I would say they are very well balanced.

The Vanguard has devastatingly powerful main cannons and its shield allows it to survive onslaughts no other vehicle could dream of. But it also offers a huge hitbox, has appalling manoeuvrability and doesn't have any way to increase its firepower. It is a "tanky" tank.

The Prowler offers gunners 2 chances to hit their targets, fair agility and powerful turrets. But once deployed it offers the highest DPS in the game bar none. To counter that, it isn't particularly tough and its guns aren't particularly overwhelming once it is on the move. As a weapons platform, it is second to none.

The Magrider's weapons offer neither the damage of the Vanguard nor the RoF of the Prowler. It can't touch either for durability either. But it does have incredible agility, allowing it to flank any armour column and strike the enemy where they're weakest.

In a straight up fight, the Vanguard will always win. In a long range shootout, the Prowler always wins. In a flanking manoeuvre, nothing can touch the Magrider. All three tanks serve the same goal, but do so in different ways. And they are balanced.

There is no reason why that can't work for infantry weapons. Infact, it does. CQB carbines for example. Serpent vs Lynx vs Bandit. They all have different damage per shot and different RoFs, they all handle differently, yet they all perform the same job admirably well. They each feel unique to their faction, yet neither one is either better or worse.

So to use the "balance" argument is just an easy way out. The only two valid reasons to offer NS weaponry is a) to save on development resources and b) to allow people to buy one gun instead of three. The first reason shouldn't matter and the second reason applies to such a small percentage of players that it shouldn't matter either.

More ES please!
  15. TR5L4Y3R

great you took the mbt example and ignored anything else
    how bout empirespecific sniper rifle, heavyweapon or ES rocketlauncher which are all drastically different in function and use ... this is were ballacing weighs in the most ...
    a vs player can't use his lasher like tr his chaingun or nc his jackhammer .. a nc can't use his phonix like a vs his lancer or a tr his striker they function totaly differently and are used differently ... so they don't need to be just be ballanced within themselves but also be ballanced that they just not straight up top any of the other specific weapons ... and that may not just be in simply changing a stat .. in a similar way you have it with ES harasserguns
  16. Liewec123

its certainly top of my wishlist, there hasn't been a single faction specific vehicle since release,
    and the number of faction specific weapons is really low.

though i don't think it'll happen at this point in the games life i'd LOVE for new vehicles!

VS would get a small single passenger hoverbike that moves like a magrider and is about as durable as a flash (pretty much a ghost from halo)

TR would get a kinda bigger beefier version of harasser with more guns, more passangers, several vulcans? :D

NC would get a huge slow behemoth tank that moves reeeeaaaally slow but soaks a ton of dmg.
  17. Campagne

Perfect for the really short range shotguns and grenade launchers it would surely receive. :p
    • Up x 1
  18. Towie

I love the truly faction unique stuff - but boy has there been some missteps when it comes to balance (both ridiculously powerful or weak or both following nerf/buff).

Magrider v1, Gatekeeper, Mjolnir, i-Win shield when it really was just that, Prowler HEAT, PPA...i'm sure there are many more to list).

BUT all said and done - I really like the differences when playing all three factions so yes, i'm agreeing with the OP - more faction unique stuff please...
  19. Orakel

DB stop nerfing VS .. im tired from 41% NC world pop @ Cobalt, its geting annoying and im thinking about removing my monthly membership since you just dont care ..
  20. stalkish

So theyre scared of player backlash?
    LOL pathetic spineless devs.

Just another reason why you dont get some1 whos obsessed with having lots of followers for their channel to help balance games....