Dasanfall Stats Site is biased now

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pruto, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Pruto

There was a recent change to the stats site that invalidates a great many playstyles simply because DA members don't approve of those playstyles.

Anything that doesn't count as Infantry v. Infantry weapon is now unsanctioned. In DA's eyes this means shotguns, vehicles and MAXes. This means that they no longer count as actual kills and do not count towards any representation of a player's K/D or KPM.

While we all have our feelings on shotguns, I don't think anyone should be punished for use of vehicles or MAXes. In fact they should be recognized for pulling the right weapon for the right job, hence the higher K/D.

If Dasanfall wants to be a leader in stats collection, they need to step up and represent their stats fairly for ALL play styles.

A number of respected players have plummeted in K/D from this change. I could name them, but you know who they are. They are well known for their abilities in a MAX or in a vehicle. I don't think it's fair that these players be lowered in importance for the benefit of the ego of "elite infantry" players who don't like "unskilled" weapons.
    • Up x 17
  2. Rogueghost

I think this post would be more appropriate in the Dasannfall stats forums, you would have a much easier time getting to 50 shades.
    But my 2 cents is I agree with the change, your MAX and vehicle usage should have little impact on your ivi score.
    • Up x 16
  3. Pruto

I'm aware of that, this post is mostly a "heads up" to the rest of the community who doesn't know yet.
    • Up x 1
  4. Purg

Just looked at my stats now, it's not as if those stats are being hidden. I can see my KDR and my infantry vs infantry KDR's with and without 'sanctioned' weapons.

Here's a thought, stop worrying about KDR.
    • Up x 12
  5. Flapatax

I don't think you're our target demographic.
    • Up x 8
  6. EvilJollyT

How is it biased? It still supplies you with players actual K/D as well as their adjusted K/D. It's not hiding anything, merely providing as much data on as many things as possible.

Honestly, this thread comes across as a complaint on what is really an extremely good and in depth stats site for what exactly? Too many stats? Too much detail?

I personally like the infantry vs. infantry stats. They are extremely helpful when judging applicants to the outfit. It really helps to distinguish a good player from a good K/D, because the two are very different things.
    • Up x 5
  7. Phazaar

I don't know anything about DA, but if you're correct on this, it's just a bit stupid really. For sure, give people the option of applying the filters so they can judge the things they want to judge, but changing the whole system for this? Stupid...

Mind you, really it's just an extension of that pervasive 'If you ACTUALLY want to play a skillbased game, get your boots on the ground [because I can't fly or drive a vehicle, and am not here to prove how good I am at learning; I'm here to prove how good I am at playing generic shooter 4.0]' bull****.

EDIT: From Purg+Flapatax's responses, it appears this is OTT - no change has actually been made, just a new feature added. In which case, that's exactly what I proposed in my first paragraph, and more power to them. The more ways we have to look at data, the better. Moving on, it'd be interesting to see the comparative K/D of each faction on each server (as we were discussing last week) with these filters, such that we can get an idea if it's vehicle play or infantry vs infantry that's causing the disparity.
  8. MrMurdok

Protip #2: It's DasAnfall's website, if they wanted to, they could have any player who is not [DA] labled as a scrub.
    • Up x 19
  9. TheFamilyGhost

Actually, its important for the forum to be aware of this.

People can collect any stat they want on their own engine.

BUT...

When moral equivalencies are being attached to certain gameplay styles, then certainly the ones creating these equivalencies are supremely unqualified to comment on the nature of gameplay as seen on a global level.

In other words: they're biased, and when they say they have a game improvement, it is meant to serve their bias. Now you know.
  10. Posse

I don't understand the complaint here, you can see both KDRS, this is my stats sheet for example.

[IMG]

It says I have 5.28 infantry vs infantry KDR and 3.94 overall KDR (lower than what my sig says because it doesn't remove deaths from revives). As for the KPM, it's only the overall KPM, it's just a simple division: Total Kills / Total minutes played in this game, so it isn't biased in any way.

Now, for the Infantry vs Infantry KDR, it reflects just that, how good you are when fighting infantry, fighting MAXes isn't fighting infantry so I don't see the problem with MAXes being removed from the equation when you look at pure IvI scores.
    • Up x 7
  11. Flapatax

I'll forward this on to 50.
    • Up x 10
  12. starecrow

Is this seriously a whine about the MLG Score?

Cause everything else is there, too (Tank vs Tank and so on).
  13. disgruntled newbie

As a side note, how is a shotgun not an infantry weapon? I'm a little baffled on that one.
    • Up x 4
  14. Flapatax

A tricycle is arguably a bike.
    • Up x 10
  15. Ender

Tell me more, oh Oracle of internet gaming. Tell me how not hiding data from the API is bias, please I really want to see you take this one to 50 pages as well. I v I scores are for infantry only, just like it says. It's not hiding anyone's anything or labeling anyone in any way. Bias indeed. I love how you weigh in on matters you don't take the time to check out for yourself, and then go on to say how unqualified "the ones" are to comment on nature of gameplay. Please point out where we are being bias, where we said we have a game improvement, where we commented on nature of gameplay on a global level, and where we attached moral equivalencies to anything. Then show me where we hid any data.

Am I mad? No, i'd say more amused that you decided you needed to weigh in on this matter in your infinite wisdom. Maybe it would be best for the community if I stopped paying my out of pocket monthly hosting fee (my student loans could use some early repayment) and the site suddenly went offline? Clearly, if we can't please everyone we should run with SOE's playersite and maintain the status quo as you're so fond of. Keep labeling us, our smartphone chat group has been renamed to "FamilyGhost Fan Club" and we even showed our pretend real life friends. They laughed as much as your coworkers did in the other thread.

P.S. (to all players who can clearly see how amusing this thread is) - I was kidding about not paying my hosting fee. DA stats is not in any jeopardy of going down, though my student loans would appreciate it haha.
    • Up x 7
  16. Xale

Pretty sure those changes aren't new. They just made them more clear/distinguishable.
  17. Chewy102

You can't be unbiased with filtering out data. Even if you still show everything in hidden in another section lower on the lists, you are still cherry picking for what you deem as more important.

Infantry V infantry sounds like a decent stat to have but once you lock a weapon type or class out then it becomes worthless. Shotgun hate I can understand but they are a pure anti infantry weapon, they exist for no other reason bu to kill infantry. You can't judge infantry V infantry fights without all of the weapon types they use. Doing so not only ***** the data but is a kick in the nuts to all NC heavies that use the Jackhammer while the Lasher and MCG are used in VS and TR data.

As for MAXes. They are still an infantry class even if they have certain rules to them. You will not find an infantry fight without MAXes taking a VITAL part of it. To ignore them is like ignoring cloakers or any other infantry class for a reason you may not like about them. As long as MAXes take such a vital role in infantry fights they should never be ignored in stats.

If you guys want that stats site to be used for real. Then you need to make it fair. Cherry picking any of it makes the entire thing worthless. The made up values for the MLG part already puts a black mark in the site.
    • Up x 1
  18. BITES

... it is a bike. What else is it? Batman?
    • Up x 1
  19. Fortress

lol
    • Up x 15
  20. Ender

Yes we can, do you want to know why? Because I pay for it and you don't. Case closed.

[IMG]

Tell me more about things you know nothing about please. How do I make people for real use the site?
    • Up x 15