Crash to Desktop FIX

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ncDieseL, Feb 4, 2014.

1. ncDieseL

So I generally get a CTD around every 2 hours, usually just under. When I did some research on the forums here it seemed to be caused by a memory leak, that causes the game to run out of memory. This surprised me because I have 8GB of RAM which should be more than enough for a 32bit application which can only use a max of 4GB.

Anyway, I've also seen a suggestion several times that turning off the Windows page file can stop the crashes. Well yesterday I did this, and I had the longest session without a crash at 2 hours 37 minutes. The game never actually crashed, I just logged off when I was finished playing. I'll probably be able to do extensive testing over the weekend, so I will report back.

But for now, if you are getting regular crashes, try turning off your windows page file, it really seems to work!
  2. LordMondando

Ok, its important to note though, that if your turn off paging file your basically stopping all virtual memory forthe OS as a whole.

Paging can be causing issue, if lag time between primary-secondary mem (ram/HD) transfers are lagging out the program and causing it to hang

But if you get near the limit of your total ram now (8 gig, its doable if you have other stuff open as well as PS2) your entire system will crash as it just runs out of memory.
  3. ncDieseL

That is an important point. I wouldn't recommend any do this on anything under 8GB of RAM, not as a permanent solution. I'll be upgrading to 16GB so I'm happy to leave my page file off.

This fix must give the devs a pretty good idea of what the problem is?
  4. Jokey Joe

I'll try that out. Seems sorta risky but hey if it works it works.