Convert Planetside 2 to Unreal Engine 3

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jourmand1r, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IshanDeston

Which was awesome until that illfated patch that was supposed to bring in the World of Warcraft crowd. Believe me, i was just as pissed about it as the next guy. (They converted my Bountyhunter into a Craftsman. With no money or means to craft or to hunt, was awesome)

But before that, and someone deciding they needed more people and change to a Warcraft Model, it was an amazing game. I even had my Jedi Unlocked, which was totally pointless.

Yeah, it was a mercy killing.

Has an amazing Diplomacy system. And Vanguard wasn't SOE fault. Vanguard was produced my Microsoft and dropped halfway through. SOE simply rescued them from bancrupty. Which also meant it had to be released at least half a year early or the studio would have had to close and there hadn't been any game.

Thats not SOEs fault. It was Microsoft that wanted a selling point for Window Vista. They wanted it to be exclusive at first.

It was amazing at the start, until they went Megaserver. Also it was the first Superhero MMO that really worked like those buttonsmasher Action games you usually get in the genre. Champions Online had tried and failed (i was actually alpha tester and it went all down the drain when they hired the Hellgate London looser) that concept. So SOE actually offered something new in that genre. It being a DC license was unfortunate.

I have hopes for Planetside 2 because Planetside 1 was awesome. So far however PS2 is falling short of its predecessor on every step of the way, except for the gun play.
  2. Jourmand1r

Actually Planetside 2 is way more successful than Planetside 1 even with its issues and shortcomings.

I think we should all accept that the majority of FPS gamers would rather Play BF3 with giant maps than a true Planetside 1 sequel.
  3. Mehuge

APB uses the unreal 3 engine, has maps significantly smaller than PS2 and only supports 80 players per map (40/side), graphics are mediocre and it really struggles performance wise. Planetside 2 does an amazing job I think. The sensible option would be to ask that SOE keep on improving the ps2 engine not switch to an out of date engine that could not in any way shape or form, cope with the scale of this game.
  4. Jaybo H

Anyone reading this thread knows that's not all you are saying, at all.

You are wrong on so many points... but keep arguing, it gives us more ammo. I think they took the requirements a bit far, and that's about it. Rewriting the entire game for an engine they would have to pay for that can't handle this type of game in the first place just so you don't have to save money and get some better specs is so beyond ridiculous that naturally people are going to label you a troll. Surely you can step back for a moment and understand why people are reacting to you in this way. We aren't Sony fanboys at all so don't even go there.
  5. Jaloro

I like the part where he quotes his specs which are identical to mine, then says his fps is a little more than half of mine. Someone is lying and it isn't me.
  6. Dovahkiin

Well, devs confirmed that BF3 can support 256 players with no lag, but it didn't make for a good game.

The reason why it would look slightly better is because it started being developed 3-4 years after PS2 started development, so it used newer technology.

BF3 also has small maps, so lower render distance and higher detail.

However, if you play PS2 on ultra in 1080p with 4x oversampling, you would splatter nerdgasm all over you walls because PS2 is SEXY on those settings. Unfortunatley, 2x oversampling drops 10-20 fps while 4x oversampling drops ~30 fps therefore, hardly anyone can run this without dropping below 30 at least once.
  7. Miyoko

Looks pretty decent to me.

[IMG]
  8. Fuse

Already up to five pages?
    Well done, sir.
    [IMG]
  9. PharmD

10. schwarzklang

There are no players. Put 1000 player chars on the screen, quadruple the view distance. on top of that, the Unreal3 engine could never do the same job with the lights that the ps2 engine can do. U3 engine could never handle the current ps2.
    why do people think they can run a massive game with really good graphic on 4 years old pc systems?
  11. xtoph

It is a new engine, the world was not built in a day. Some of the best game engines had a buggy start, give it time and everything will be optimized and you will be thinking about how great this engine has become.
  12. Miyoko

ok

btw, this game is from 2007

[IMG]
  13. Tuco

I took a computer science course in high school, I'm an expert.
  14. schwarzklang

And again. Put 500 player on the screen. Tanks, Aircraft, let them shoot. Explosions, lazer pewpews etc. Put a Biolab/ampstation/or other big bases + same gras, tree detail/amount level from amerish. Have fun with your 0 fps u3 engine.
  15. TheEvilBlight

What servers are everyone playing on? In SolTech, I've yet to see the huge fights used in marketing. Most I see are 30v30 or maybe 40v40 if you account for the fact that not everyone on the opposing team will be "encounterable" if they are hanging back to heal, repair and snipe.

Perhaps on the more crowded servers performance is an even bigger issue...?
  16. Munq

Hey OP. This is for you!
  17. Diamond Sword

OP: Graphics aren't the only thing the engine is required to handle.

UE3 simply does not have the means to do many of the things Planetside 2 is trying to accomplish.
  18. Miyoko

[IMG]
  19. Tuco

Anyone play with the Halflife2 Hammer map making tool? Put 200 zombies into an empty map that only consists of a flat floor and a skybox and you start lagging.

Which makes me start wondering. Does each additional player put a linear or exponential stress on the computer?
  20. Tobax

Stupidest idea ever, as if after all the time and money Sony has invested having a hand forged engine made for them (forgelight) and then making PS2 on it with other SOE games already being made on the same engine they'd just suddenly change to a new engine.
    Some people are really out of their minds to think switching to a new engine was even an option on the table because its not.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.