Concept of Reaver is a little strange

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by forumo, Jan 13, 2013.

1. forumo

Reaver is designed to be worse at A2A (because it handles like a brick) but good at A2G.
    Isn't this a bad design concept?

There is no need for an ESF to be better at A2G because Liberators are already great at A2G.
    However, ESF very much need to be good at A2A, because there is no other fighter class.

In other words, Reaver sacrifices the key role of ESF, which is to be an air superiority fighter.
    In exchange, it gains improvement in A2G role, which is not really needed as Liberators already do that.
  2. A puppeteer

Best A2G? who said that? the best air to ground is the best hover which is the scythe.

The reaver is just bad overall compared to the rest of the planes.
    • Up x 2
  3. Fear The Amish

you will take your A2G brick and you will LOVE IT!
    • Up x 4
  4. Xenocide

well, we had the afterburner advantage that only can be used to escape but they took it too. Now reavers are flying boxes waiting to get smashed.
  5. Ghoest

The Reaver is just a completely flawed design concept.

They tried to stay true to PS1 and ended up with a big piece of junk
    • Up x 1
  6. Zapon

WHOA, hold it - this is not the case at ALL -

Remember, the dual photon pods aren't fired like the other fighters -we don't have volleys of 16 down a line- we have side by side ones at a time that we have to manually fire in a volley.

As for hovering- i wouldnt know. I fly stock scythes- and lately, scythes seem to sink like a dang rock- they certainly don't hover still. Might have been a patch thing or something a month ago- but Scythe's don't hover easily.

I will eventually find out if a chassis upgrade can fix the scythe's manuevering/hover issues, though.

As for the photon pods, i think i'd trade for the reaver or actually- even better yet, the mosquito's a2g weapons in a heartbeat.
  7. Thagyr

Keep in mind you can strap a Shotgun on your flying A2G brick, so you can further your advantage of being the chunkiest piloted airborne projectile by shooting a few times point blank before crashing.

I still love the look of the Reaver over the other ESFs I admit.
  8. ZeroFighter

The reaver is a very good plane. The differences between the ESFs are negligible.

The fact that you would call it an A2G plane is proof you have never even flown for longer than 10 minutes. In any of the ESF's. What makes it an A2G plane? The scythe has the most hover, as has been stated the scythe would be A2G, but none of them are exclusively one or the other.
  9. A puppeteer

Test the damage on a tank and stop talking out of your ***, all loads by all planes do the same ammount of damage give or take more per burst as the case of the scythe since it fires 2.

Hover is an empire trade, so of course you wouldn't know, you probably have never flown a reaver or a mosquito.
  10. Zapon

regarding damage, i meant it's easier to unload the volleys than it is to land those shots from the Dual Photon Pods

I wasn't talking about damage
  11. TheArchetype

I have dogfighting airframe with A2A on my reaver and have few complaints. Uncerted though, the Reaver is a piece of sh 1 t.
  12. Badname3529.

Reaver is currently without strengths. It was supposed to be faster in a burn but has had its afterburner nerfed to the level of other ESFs.
  13. SpaceMuppet

How does the reaver excel at A2G? plz explain.
  14. Ghostfox

The inertia allows the Reaver to do some nice tricks. however, the design of it only made sense when it had more armor. Since armor and health was normalized.. the size makes less sense.
  15. forumo

If you want to win air superiority, you get into an ESF, and expect it to do well against other ESFs.
    If you want to attack ground, you get into a Liberator, not an ESF.

But for NC, our ESF is like a Vanguard with wings, not a proper ESF.
    We lose air superiority putting a flying tank vs proper fighters the Scythe and Mosquito.

Even worse, the Reaver is not even better at A2G because of its horrible inertia and hover.
  16. PharmD

Does the reaver not have any pros? I figured it was slower and more bulkier but harder hitting? Isn't that what NC is all about? Slow vehicles/guns but high damage?
  17. PeterLawford

The reaver used to have the best afterburner, and I think it still goes the fastest in AB, but now that the duration is the same as the other ESFs it's kind of not that much of an advantage.
  18. LameFox

I find it's quite the opposite... since I need to fly with AB tanks for mobility, it tends to be best used for air-to-air.
  19. MiZrY

The only thing I have noticed that the Reaver does better then the other ESF's is it's vertical thrusters, but it is not much of a difference. In ALL other aspects it is either equal (HP, damage, ect) or worse then the other factions. ANY pilot who has put any time into flying all 3 faction's ESF will figure this out pretty quick.
  20. forumo