Can using my Razor Naga Mouse to turn my VS Pistol into a TR Pistol get me banned?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Predator, Jul 14, 2013.

1. OldMaster80

I didn't. This guy is not me. It's a player that has been complaining on our italian forum because he has been permabanned on the 14th April.
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428044677971152929
    But I've checked his story in detail and he had a Razer Naga mouse, but he has been banned for alteration of game libraries, so this has been probably because of Radeon Pro. But I can't be 100% sure this didn't happen because of his mouse. He was actually macroing.

This does not change the fact that according to EULA every form of macro should be forbidden, regardless if SOE can catch you or not.
  2. illgot

so basically he was banned for altering his game profiles, which is 100% against the rules.

Using macro's built into your game peripherals will never get you banned because there is no way to differentiate between a macro and normal clicking, and even if there was, no game company is going to risk losing thousands upon thousands of gamers that spend big bucks on hardware.
  3. AnotherNoob

There is a lot of hacks and cheats that is very hard to detect, and what you are describing is one of them, and is banable. However you are probably right that it's not very likely that you will get caught, but regardless, it is cheating.
  4. illgot

Yes, yes, someone like you on every message board. You use macro's so you must be cheating!

You know my most used macro? One that clicks V, 8. This macro is used every time I run over a player or accidentally shoot/kill them (I do this a lot).

My second most used macro? One that clicks E and R at the same time. I use this bound to my mouse so I only have to click one button to access an item or reload my weapon.

My third most used admittedly is my double fire macro I use on my max. It fires both Left and Right arms at the same time. I do not use an autofire macro for my other infantry because it just screws up my aim.

So yes, I cheat, I bind multiple keys to one button to stream line my game play.
  5. AnotherNoob

If you read the EULA that someone quoted above, macros is against the rules. It doesn't matter if I think it is right or not, it is against the rules.

• Up x 1
  6. Eyeklops

Doesn't really sound like the macro's (more like re-binds) would give you a serious advantage over another person. The bannable macros are typically for strafing, obtaining maximum ROF on a semi-auto weapon, and complex timed actions (like uncloak, fire primary, knife, recloak). Are these macros detectable? Absolutely, and fairly easy as well. No third party software detection is needed, just some simple pattern recognition on a sample of the users input (macros will typically be consistent to the millisecond, players are not).
  7. illgot

you forget that there is latency that will throw off these calculations.

Your computer will initiate the actions to the millisecond, but the servers will not recognize these actions with such pin point accuracy due to latency.
  8. Eyeklops

You forget they can write in code to send the keypresses exactly as they happen on demand, no need to measure at the servers. If I were the person in charge of dealing with cheaters / mass reported players, "record and review input log" would be on the standard "is the player doing funny stuff" checklist.
    • Up x 1
  9. illgot

great, let them create a code that tells them exactly what keys and when every user taps, let their servers calculate more useless information so they can ban anyone that uses multi-key set up on their gaming peripherals. I am sure that's a feasible use of time and energy.

No, you won't be banned for creating and using simple macro's with gaming peripherals. You may be banned for using third party programs which can write scripts such as a Trigger Bot.
  10. Eyeklops

The code can be there and only send the data on request (like when a person gets reported), so the extra server load would be pretty minimal. Regardless, I am not saying they are doing this, but they can, and it's not hard. You're assumption that macro's cannot be detected is false, doesn't matter if it's Trigger Bot or mouse software.
    • Up x 2
  11. illgot

and again why would they want to ban people for writing simple macro's in their gaming peripherals. They could do a lot of things, but it would be senseless.
  12. Eyeklops

Pretty sure I said this earlier:
  13. Lazaruz

I've never understood why people have issues playing a game the way it's meant to be played.
    • Up x 3
  14. Rohxer

And you could be banned for it. Not for the voice macro. Or the E/R macro. As per the EULA they don't "impact game play". However, the double fire on the Max is clearly a violation of the EULA that you agreed to abide by. And using it _is_ a cheat no matter how you try to justify it. If you want to take a chance that's your prerogative, though I gotta say that posting about it on the official message boards is pretty stupid.

But I personally wouldn't take a chance with even just the voice macro, despite how trivial it seems, because who knows what algorithm could be used to detect what you're doing. As far as any theoretical automated cheat detector program knows, you've mapped a button press to more than one action, therefore it could flag you as a cheater, and then you'd have to appeal and go through all that rigmarole with no guarantee of a reasonable outcome. I've got two SOE accounts that I've paid monthly dues on since 1999, without a break ($$$$$). I'm not going to risk losing more than a decade of character development in multiple games just because I can't be bothered to figure out if I need to press an E or an R in Planetside 2. :rolleyes:

Agreed. When my kids want to bend the rules of Parcheesi I don't let them. Is it ok to sometimes let your bishop move horizontally in chess? Seriously, people who think they are somehow above the rules of everyone else should really be playing some single-player save-the-world hero game.
  15. Mastachief

Uncloak - Commissioner shot - quick knife - Cloak PROFIT. Macro

SOE yet again fail to think stuff through with this perma cloak.
  16. MorganM

An official SOE person responded on the forums ... couple months ago? Said it was OK to bind a key to do one thing. Really though you are rolling the dice. The dude who bans you may not care what some SOE dude said on the forums, point to the EULA, and say "tough *($@" =/

They call this 'tactical superiority'!
    • Up x 1
  17. Crashmatusow

no you may not have a pistol as good as tr's.

also i'm pretty sure both vs pistols have a fairly low rof cap you can hit with rapid tapping.
  18. Rigsta

I actually tried that with visions of epic beamerage. It didn't work :(

@OP: Don't do it. It's a grey area at best. L2click? :D
  19. m44v

So, can I /report you and use this quote as proof? :p
  20. illgot

please do. Report me for using a Left Click + Right Click macro on my Razer mouse button number 8.

Hell, you can even say I have a rapid fire macro for my primary weapon bound to my Razer.

Because it does not matter, they are not going to ban people for using their gaming peripherals which only use simple macro's.

Now if I use a script program like AutoHotKey which can set up a trigger bot which fires every time I am over an enemy player, that will get you banned.