c4 vs fully certed MBT

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DQCraze, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Alarox

Uniques takes into account the number of random people who pull a tank for the hell of it. By default every stock weapon in the game has an inflated number of uniques. Even then AP has almost as many uniques as HEAT.

Also, taking into account secondaries it is even more in the AV tank's favor. All the AV weapons are used substantially more than the other secondaries except for the PPA:

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  2. Alarox

Technically you do with your S variant carbine, although I doubt that's the kind of weapon you're talking about.
    • Up x 2
  3. Meeka

The only real unfair advantage of C4 is the ability to jump out of Galaxies way, way, way, way high in the sky and drift happily down on top of a tank and blow it up; there is no amount of "awareness" from a tank driver that can prevent that from happening. Same with Valkyrie fly overs; if it's stealthed, there's almost nothing you can do as they fly over, deploy C4 and blow you up.
    • Up x 1
  4. DFDelta

Speaking from my experiences as both user and victim, a large guesstimate (you might also call it opinion):

1. Lancer / Vortex (organized, 6+ users with support behind them)
    2. AV Mana Turret (organized)
    3. Ravens (organized)
    ----- long gap -----
    4. Lock-ons (organized)
    5. Phoenix (organized), would be higher but it is too situational
    ----- the above stuff is overkill for lone tanks and more about killing groups, now the "normal" day-to-day stuff -----
    6. Ravens
    7. AV Mana
    (7.5 C4 employed by dumping aircrafts. Hesistant to add it since it is rather rare and really wasteful. Also not strictly infantry.)
    8. Exeptionally smart or "skilled" people with dumbfires/decimators
    9. Other Max AV missiles
    10. AV lock ons
    11. AV Mines (pre-placed)
    12. C4 delivered by drifters (for example near towers)
    13. "normal people" with dumbfires/decimators
    14. C4 by Light Assault
    15. Lancer / Vortex
    16. Phoenix
    17. AA lockons
    18. Pounders
    19. C4 by anyone else / Engies rushing with mines
    ----- long gap -----
    20. Crossbow (organized)
    21. Max punch
    22. Crossbow

I don't want to add the new striker, as I have not used it as AV yet. If it is just as bad for that as for AA it would be somewhere around organized crossbows for lone striker users. (not hyperbole)

Don't think I've forgotten anything......
  5. drstrange2014

Tell you what, you show me the skill in farming infantry and take a point while still sitting in your tank a long way away from your targets and I won't take several minutes to avoid enemy infantry and find then C4 a tank which is probably surrounded by other armor. Then let's talk about skill. Just constantly right clicking when you are sitting in a vehicle is not a skill by the way.
    • Up x 1
  6. K2k4

did you know that getting hit by a fully certed MBT's tank shell instant death's that infantry player?

Better yet, if the tank has a gunner equipped for AI he'll bloody destroy that C-4 troop. It won't be instant, but 3-4 shots to the guys head with a cobalt will kill em dead.
  7. K2k4

Pulling a tank is the biggest crutch in the game, always has been, always will be. It ends fights with a little luck, and not much skill.
    (note* skill is involved in not being seen in a 12 v 12 ok, that is skill..96 vs 96 not so much skill)

It's been in the game a long time and I think it's there strictly to keep players from rage quitting when a bunch of anything shows up.
    • Up x 3
  8. LibertyRevolution

Because it doesn't matter to an infantry if it is AP or not as any tank can OHK infantry, even AP, so they are all the same threat.

Then your magic glue gun could save you, so how about no.

I'll give up my C4 on my light assault... when they remove maxes and tanks from the game.
  9. Alarox

An AV tank is as much a threat to infantry as an AI tank? That doesn't make any sense. The reason people target AV tanks isn't because the tank is a huge threat to them that needs to be taken down, it is because killing a tank is fun and gives you lots of certs.
  10. FateJH

And the repair tool apparently. Then we can stop calling the game Planetside.
  11. LibertyRevolution

If it is a tank, then it can OHK me as infantry, so there is no "greater threat" as they are all OHK...
    It doesn't matter in the slightest to me if it is a HE prowler and AP vanguard, as either way I'm dead in 1 volley, get it??
    Does it matter in the least to me if the shot that killed me damaged the guy next to me because it had splash? No it doesn't..

You spend too much time in tanks man..
    While AP/HE/HEAT changes how many hits to kill on another tank, it doesn't change to infantry, the answer is always 1 volley.

Many will tell you they prefer to farm infantry with AP simply for the added velocity makes hitting them easier.
    And since splash is so useless, why limit yourself to HE if you can use AP to farm both infantry and vehicles..
  12. LibertyRevolution

No we need repair tools to repair our engineer AI turrets and terminals.

If tanks and maxes were removed from the game tomorrow it would only become more popular...
    Please see COD sales #'s, then compare those to this FREE games user base:

TOTAL WORLD POP OF PLANETSIDE2 ACROSS ALL SERVERS
    [IMG]

If they made this same game, and the only vehicle in it was sunderers, it would have 50,000 players like TF2, not <5,000.
  13. FateJH

No, it wouldn't. I know that, and you know that. You wouldn't get people who like COD to like this game because "it's like COD" the same that you couldn't get people who like TF2 to play this game because "it's like TF2." That's because they have TF2. And COD. Those games exist already. The very fundamental premises and considerations and weapons balances and mindsets, et al., are completely different from what we have here. Form what we had back in the prequel. You'd have to strip those out, rework them, jam them back in, then change everything else to accommodate them; and, then you'd still have something that either is TF2/COD or is something that is just trying too hard to not be TF2/COD. It wouldn't be worth calling "Planetside" anymore.

And there are lots of better alternatives to such a sterile concoction on the market.
    • Up x 1
  14. Rovertoo

Yeah, I'd really like a tool specifically. On that note though, does anyone even use the UBGL? I just can't get the hang of it for the life of me.
  15. LibertyRevolution

I think the market this game should have been targeting is the "I want to play BF3, but I don't want to pay $60 for it" crowd.

Do you see much tank spam in BF3?
    No, as they actually limited force multipliers, and that is how this game should have been since the beginning.
    Go a terminal and if there are too many on your faction, you have a que for a tank..

Its not rocket science to make a popular game.. make it fun, make it easy, make it accessible. that's it.
    Sure there will always be a place for those tryhard and purist that wouldn't play, and to that I say ARMA is over there →

The market for F2P is the casual, not the tryhard, making your game for the tryhard, only kills the game for most of your base.
    Example? Please see the air in Planetisde 2. Is that fun? is that easy? is that accessible?
    No it is not, and so getting killed by air, and not being able to air back, it was the #1 reason players left in droves after launch.
    Flying in this game should be easy and fun, as something ridiculously easy like H.A.W.X.: www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd9nNF-D7Dk#t=108
  16. Donaldson Jones

I'll tell you what, find me something that kills indoors and out with as much potential upside as C-4? Tanks cost 450(no lock bonus) same with a MAX. Two C-4 cost 200 resource and have UNPARALLELED KILLING POTENTIAL. You can hide from a tank you can counter a MAX, if you are in a crowd 1 brick of C-4 can kill everyone with a 3m radius, there is no cannon or MAX equippable weapon that can match that. Hell even lolpods have nothing on C-4.

You can say what you want but c-4 is the PREMIER CRUTCH of any CRUTCH in the game.
    • Up x 1
  17. Hatesphere

its the other way around, c4 is a one shot item, its done when its done, its damage over time fails in comparison to the potential damage of a max or a tank and its a use of resources that prevents you from pulling a max or a tank. for 450 resources you have the potential of untold kills if played right with a tank or a max, with C4 its pop goes the weasel. its not really a valid comparison.
  18. Degenatron

I completely disagree. I have amazing fun killing infantry up close and personal in my lightning. In fact, the C4 in their hands is a Siren Song they simply cannot resist. Especially jumpers, they simply cannot stop putting themselves in the line of fire. They thrown themselves at me and more often than not, end up dead. The trick is to keep moving. If you have to shoot from a stand-still, that's half your problem right there. Even a simple oscillation back and forth in time with your reload cycle is usually enough to throw them off. And when they've missed their initial lunge they don't generally retreat to safety, they act like that C4 brick is a protective shield. I kill these guys with Viper, HE, and even Skyguard quite easily.

You want to see the world the way I do? Grab a Lightning with Rival Chassis, Nanites, Fire Suppression, HE Cannon, and Thermal Vision. Prowl around your main battle tanks watching the ridges, rocks, and trees. It's a freaking gold mine.
  19. Tuco

Hard to be "aware of your surroundings" when you can't look up.
  20. Alarox

That's why I didn't say 100%. People randomly attacking from above or out of ESFs can't be countered.
    • Up x 1