C4 - Overused and needs to be toned down

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ancalagon, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alarox

I still don't see how C4 is a problem beyond it making some people really mad when they die from it.

Which makes sense as it means you were unable to prevent an enemy infantryman from getting 3m away from your tank, and on top of that you screwed up and couldn't kill him in the 3s period it takes to drop and detonate C4.

I'd be ashamed and annoyed too.

I know because I've got over 10 days played in a tank and I've died my fair share from C4. And in those 10 days, not one time has it ever been a case of anything but me doing something stupid that I'm embarrassed of. My favorite thing to do in this game is using a Vanguard, the tank that dies the most from C4. Even I don't think C4 is overpowered.

Out of curiosity, how many people who think C4 is overpowered are actually experienced on both ends of it?
  2. JudgeDeath

C4 is fine.

It is the lifeline of infantry vs spammertanks and max rushes. Working as intended.
    • Up x 1
  3. Alarox

Which has the apparent side effect of making people really annoyed when they die from it.
  4. notyourbuddy

The only balance problem with C4 and vehicles is one faction's MBT has a natural immunity to it. Ever try to slap C4 on that flying saucer? Most annoying thing ever.

I'd really like to see some stats that show what vehicles have been killed the most by C4. Does SOE track that kind of stuff?
  5. Thor04

Well LA is my favourite class its so easy to kill tanks that its not even funny. its is too strong because for one tank costs a lot of resources and time. I can play like a girl and don't put my tank in danger but then I won't support my troops when they need me and that defeats purpose of having tank in first place because then its just mobile artillery.

Or blue troll shield :)
  6. Dcrd

They have same mobility, LA can only use sprint speed increase (10%, lol), and no, you can't run over HA, dodging tanks are very easy, however you can just roll away both from HA and LA with ease.

And yes, if we're going realismus maximus with all that "tanks protect you from explosives" let us have cumulative AT weapons? You know, so every MBT will be gone in 2 rockets?
  7. Alarox

Mind linking us your character to verify that it is so easy for your LA to kill tanks with C4?
    • Up x 1
  8. AdmiralArcher

dont mind me ill just be delivering pizza while you squabble
  9. Vorxil

Maybe we should just make the proximity radar start flashing C4 FAIRY INCOMING on the HUD whenever a C4 is detected within 50 m around you cylindrically up to the vehicle render range in height.

Because really, permanent omnidirectional vision is impossible thus full situational awareness is impossible. Inattentional blindness is very prevalent in humans and we can't rely on sound in battles because explosions are drowning everything out. Tankers are under pressure from other tanks, HAs and turrets. Taking time to spin around (and Magriders mooning to everyone and their mother) for several seconds, scanning every piece of the land meticulously, isn't feasible when under fire in the battlefield.
    • Up x 2
  10. Thor04

I mean on LA ability to jump. Why not I would love to see that but then we need it to simulate it properly if you shoot it from front even 10 shoots wont disable it you will have to get flanking shoot and tank might have something like reactive armor and dedicated driver.

If want it so much here it is MadCat03
  11. Mystogan

There is simple solution to it. Right now C4 is used too much as ambush/trap tool and it is not supposed to. They are mines and other stuff for it, which cant be used to dmg tanks. So why C4 should be all around? It should not. However C4 effectivness in tank-killing should be same, but it need more skill then just drop around tank. Thats my solution I think will make great balance change to overused C4:

C4 should be reserved to AV weapon, not all around. We have claymores/proxies/bouncing betty for it and C4 should not be used as one too. C4 dmg should be split up in HALF to Direct and Splash dmg (50/50). Direct dmg only works if C4 is DIRECTLY ATTACHED to target. If C4 is just laying down it deals ONLY SPLASH dmg. This way C4 would be still as effective as it is now against tanks and armor, but they usage against infatry would be cut in half and promote other ant-infantry stuff over all around C4. AV should be AV, AI should be AI.

Now you at tank killing and armor killing it would be still effective, but now they would not give free group kills and be used to make traps. They still can but now you need to waste two bricks of C4 for AI stuff, making you think is it worth it and making it hard then just "throw inside, BUM, haha skill-kills".

C4 should be AV tool and change above would solve this issue while C4 will still ramain as good as it was at killing Vehicles, but not being better then Claymores/Mines/BB at AI killing.
  12. JonboyX

13. TekFan

C4 as it is is pretty much fine.
    Takes some seconds before you have it placed and can blow it up. As a medic it's pretty much my only defense agains MAXes and careless tankers. It is also quite funny to use the bricks to lure those road-kill harrassers to their death.

I agree that it can be quite nasty at times if wave after wave of suicide-LA's run into a building and spam their C4. With a good team inside the building they almost never live long enough to trigger their stuff though.

The only infantry where I don't see the use of it is the HA. Not that I want to take it away from the HA-players here, but with the rocket-launcher I don't really know what the C4 is needed for.
  14. Ancalagon

It takes all your rockets to kill a tank.
    It only takes 2 C4

So rather than firing rockets and watching the tank drive off, it's much more efficient to simply get close and insta-gib it. Provided you can get close of course.

Only other option to carry is medkit, which is rubbish for HA since you are usually surrounded by medics anyways, or have a sundy right near you.
  15. Thor04

C4 + AT missile combo destroy MBT it was mention in past posts.
  16. Aegie

Yes, well, C4 has the same ID regardless of the faction you play or the class that carries it. If you sum the kills due to, say, Anti-personnel mines then you will find that they contribute the same to total deaths... so, AP mines are also overused/over powered?

Or, rocket pods? Sum those together and you have a bit more than twice the number of kills due to C4. Or, HE rounds from the three different factions- that is more than c4 as well I believe- so these are overused/over powered as well?
  17. Jalek

It creates the counterintuitive rush of lone-wolf infantry rushing at groups of armor. I used to just sit behind them with HE and radar to shoot LA's and the occasional wraith flash. HE splash on the tanks and sunderers isn't too much.
    These days I see C4 used more inside biolabs in place of proximity mines since it works much more effectively.
  18. z1967

If you use positioning to your advantage you can destroy a tank before it can even notice you. HA requires you to fire multiple rockets at a tank to kill it allowing for the tank to run away. C4 leaves very few chances of running away as it is a near instantaneous death. People would rather go through the time necessary to get the OHK than the slow but guaranteed hits from a rocket launcher. That is human nature, which cannot be nerfed.
  19. MostlyClueless

HA can do that from a distance and use cover, C4 requires you to get next to a tank that can move faster than you and has a gun that can kill you in one hit.

Also the Rocket Launcher is free and Double C4 is 200 Infantry Resources.

It's fine, as a fairly avid lightning user, the only time I die to C4 is when I want to risk getting close to infantry to shoot a Sunderer or a tank in the butt.
    • Up x 2
  20. Thor04

So you shoot it it evades half of your shoots and moves back repair and comes back C4 guarantees a kill. Most popular way of taking out sundy is LA c4 spam.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.