[Suggestion] C4 needs a nerf

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Thesweet, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Thesweet

So vehicles cost a huge amount now and so does the MAX, yet C4 only cost 100 resources and can be coupled with the most mobile infantry class in the game. One hots a max, 2 for a tank. No timer on it, if you die then you can just spawn and have another go.

The only vehicle counter there is for it is the blockade armor on the sundy.

I would like to see more counter for it on vehicles please. The spitfire turrets in PS1 where excellent counters for defending against a fast deadly light attack.

Then you have ppl just drop podding on you and dumping a heap of C4 on you that way, no counter at all for that.
    • Up x 2
  2. makrome

this is not the nerf you are looking for
    /jedihandmove
    • Up x 1
  3. skilcox

Counters to C4:
    1. Flak Armour!
    2. Radar!
    3. Being alert, and even though this doesn't always work, it does help!
    4. Good positioning!

Cons to C4:
    1. Can cost 100 to 200 resources even in a failed attempt.
    2. Largely defenseless for the duration of throwing, and detonation the C4.

Overpowered use of C4:
    1. Drop pods.

The only issue currently is the ease of use of drop pods. In all other scenarios C4 can be countered by planing ahead, and being alert. Do not claim something overpowered, or in need of a nerf unless you've tried defending against it.
    • Up x 2
  4. Ravenorth

There is a counter: proximity radar, which is getting probably buffed even more on the next GU, if you dont want to use it then dont ask for nerfs.

Against Max units, i dont really see a problem, how many kills you can get with two c4? maybe 4-6 if you are lucky and with Max you can easily rack 20+ kills.
  5. Metalsheep

I would love to see Spitfires make a return, the problem though, is that in PS1 only Combat Engineers could place them, and only so many people certed combat engi. So the # of spits was relatively in check. Along with anyone and everyone being able to pull Jammer Grenades at will.

Now everyone can just switch to engineer. and only infils have EMP grenades. I'm not certain how spitfires could be balanced out in this style of game.
  6. Vernei

Pretty much this.
  7. KAHR-Alpha

Before anyone says it requires skill, stupid tankers and stuff to C4 a tank, I need to say it's actually a no brainer, just rush tanks, hug them while you plant your C4 and kaboom.

I got a hundred tank kills with C4, statistically speaking you will always find an opening, respawning cost nothing, and when you die it's 90% of the time on your way to the tank, not after you planted the C4.
    • Up x 3
  8. Jkar

Probably just by making them have no deploy zones around them so you can't stack them in one place but maybe one every 10 - 20 meters and only one per engineer costing them their turret or utility slot (mines / med kits etc and perhaps cost resources like a mine). Or just make them stationary base assets that can be hacked and have to be repaired but can't be placed by players.

And C4 doesn't need a nerf, tanks and MAX units need a buff to their explosion resistance. ;)
  9. PS2Freak

no, it doesnt need nerf.
  10. skilcox

I really want to emphasis on your use on the word opening. Can you agree that with a tank actively defending from C4 that this isn't an easy task? A solo front armour tank looking down sight at an enemy base, easy. A two maned tank focusing on the same base, but paying attention to the radar they have equipped, tough job.
  11. KAHR-Alpha

If a tank is actively looking or is constantly looking around instead of fighting what's in front, then yeah, it's nearly impossible to get them with C4. But since every footsoldier on the field is out to destroy those fat XP pinatas, you'll always find an opening at some point as the tanker (and crew) will be busy killing something else. I've C4ed tanks that were already engaged in combat with other tanks, it's fairly easy.

As for the proximity radar, seriously I haven't seen that on a MBT in months. If you're ready to give up on your MBT faction ability, then you might as well take a lightning instead, it will be cheaper and more efficient. Also with the tiny range it got, you don't really have much time to react, the time window is only 8 seconds at max level.
    • Up x 4
  12. LordMondando

A brick of concentrated explosive needs to be less explosive.

Good job forum community.
  13. skilcox

Fair point KAHR, buff radar!
  14. Thesweet

and it would take 5-6 AP tank shells to do the same thing, I should point out "AP" and "tank shells", they aren't small either. If you look at the ratio of damage compared to tank shells then the C4 has a huge damage compared to any other round in the game, including a zeffer and dalton!

I knew every one would be up in arms about it, but I think something like C4 should either be 1 ammo or have a better proxy alert because when it finally picks up a LA they are already over you dropping them.

It is incredibly easy to get a tank that has so many weaknesses already like restricted vision, hard to maneuver, cant change load outs when you have spawned the tank, huge resource cost, timer for respawn, slow acceleration, take 10 shots to kill infantry, no rear armor and to top it off people can just land on you with a drop pod and finish you with ease.
    • Up x 3
  15. SpetV

C4 needs a nerf? How about your tank driver skills need a big buff? I play with tanks too sometimes, usually i play as gunner for Magrider, i really like that if it has a good wepaon, and only 1 out of 20 times the vehicle is destroyed by C4, before it's destroyed i get to kill at least 5 enemies, i don't understand why people complain about their tanks being destroyed if they still get a lot of kills with them. If you got C4ed it's your fault that you're looking in just 1 direction, you always have to watch your back. Also don't go rambo with a tank in the enemy base and expect to kill 20 enemies without a scratch.
    Also the tank might move right when you throw the C4 so you just wasted 100 resources if it doesn't come back and drives close to it. If you die and don't get revived after you threw a C4 you wasted another 100 resources for nothing. C4 is not like mines, If you threw a C4, died before detonating and didn't got revived by a medic the C4 will dissapar after you respawn and you won't get any resources back. Everything's fine, just stop being a bad tank driver.
    • Up x 1
  16. Thrustin

Oh look an other pr ick who thinks his opinion on a topic, which already has been discussed to death, is so valuable that it deserves its on thread, eventhough the points he made are the exact same like in all the other threads. Smells like an other incompetent tank driver.
    • Up x 1
  17. Navus

stop locking down while shelling a 1 foot wide open slot of a tower/spawn area and complaining when you piss enough infantry off that they go hunting for you.
  18. EliteEskimo

C4 doesn't need a nerf, since I've used Proximity Radar I haven't been C4'd other than by invisible C4 coming down in a drop pod. They need to make it so you can't carry explosives in a drop pod so the non rendering issue just doesn't matter anymore.

I will say it's a darn shame that to be truly protected against C4 I have to sacrifice my faction unique ability, and I personally feel like a form of Blockade armor would be a better choice since it's already in the game and balanced (See the Sunderer or Harasser). Oh well, maybe the future resource change will make it so I can pull tanks more often so that I don't have to use Proximity Radar. :)
    • Up x 5
  19. Thrustin

EliteEskimo defending c4? What is this? :eek:
    • Up x 1
  20. LordMondando

Its allready a ***** to place, with a massive change wep time. Costs a significant amount of resources. If you've got c4 more often than not its because your oblivious and arn't giving a damn about enemy infantry around where you currently are. So what if it takes 6 AP shells to do the same thing. There clearly quite distinct weapons systems and the balance in the game is deliberately asymmetric. I don't have to run up to you and toss AP shells at you as if they were soggy oranges either.

The only people really mad about it are people in MBT's who sit on hills, farming infantry who rage out when one plucky LA manages to flank them, plonk c4 on their tank and kill them. FUUUUUUUUUUUU indeed. Log straight off, already alt-tabbing to get onto the forum make a post about the thing that killed you needing a nerf and being op. Because hell, your good man, if something kills you. Must be an issue.

At this point we've done it with most things in game. Literally pick a weapon, hell weapons system, the minority haven't been through this treatment yet. In part im surprised it was not the maxwhores who raged first, but few parts of the player base are more entitledthan the people who's 'play style' consists of following around zergs in vehicles farming kills at the edges.

Beyond that if you've advanced beyond your infantry screen and someones managed to C4 you, learn to loose with a bit of grace, you ****** up, someone else got lucky / was skillzored.

Deal with it, Learn to loose.

That's really all there is to this debate.

Now can we stop this ******** please and go back to moaning about something else, like how the refferals systems requires more friends than most PS2 players have IRL?
    • Up x 1