Buff to Scout Rifles incoming

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Astraka, Apr 5, 2013.

1. pnkdth

This made me a very happy infiltrator. The SMGs were a bandaid, and didn't fit very well, a CQC infiltrator should be about finesse not some bunny hopping hipfire death machine. Not far from my auraxium medal with my Artemis either. Good times!
  2. OldMaster80

The SOAS is already a good weapon. Today I've killed 32 enemies with that, as easily as with the SMG.
    What I'd love to see changed is the ammo clip size: 20 bullets is simply not enough to do anything. And possibly more hip-fire accuracy, so that the optic upgrade is not mandatory.
  3. Mustarde

I hear what you are saying... and I've managed to get the auraxium for it so I know that it is possible to get kills with it. But saying it is already a good weapon and then saying 20 bullets isn't enough to do anything... feels contradictory.

The low damage, small magazine size and unforgiving recoil pattern make these weapons so impossible to perform well with on targets who are not mentally disabled or AFK. If they keep SMG's as king of CQC and make ether full-auto SR's proficient at mid ranges, I think we will have the right tools available for any job. Then SOE can work on our cloaks, recon darts, and broken turret hacking!
  4. Kenshin02

great news indeed
  5. AnuErebus

I could not contain the squeal of glee that burst forth the moment I initially read this news. Really looking forward to it. The Battle Rifle and Scout Rifles are some of my favorite guns in the game even in their current state and seeing a buff incoming makes me so very happy.
    • Up x 1
  6. OldMaster80

What I meant is that the rifle itself imho is not useless, it doesn't need dramatic changes. Main issue I have in using it at mid distance is the recoil, and of course 20 ammo is ridicolous, that should be doubled I'd say. But honestly I wouldn't increase damage, I like the idea of a weapon whose strong point is accuracy more than damage, but this is just a personal opinion. ;)

Anyway, this buff is welcome. I just hope things won't get messed to much that after GU07 we'll have Scout RIfle as new top weapon and suddenly SMG less useful.
  7. cKerensky

Yup! I always use battle rifles in games that I can. It just so happens that they're not terribly effective in this game (though equipping them with my lancer on my heavy has brought me many lols)
  8. OldMaster80

Just to let everyone (devs included, if they read this forum) that SOAS-20 is far from being that terrible. It needs some tweeks, mainly ammo capacity: ;)
  9. iller

Couldn't agree more... I saw this dynamic EXTENSIVELY while playing APB for a whole year, which inexplicably encouraged longer range engagement a lot more than this game currently does. And yeah, I used the "Auto-Sniper" there as much as I could but it was still a total POS when compared to the most newb-friendly (lowest spread) mid-range Auto and even the long range Semi auto with faster ROF's.

I still don't know what would balance that whole mess for everyone. Especially when we don't know what our future holds in regards to CLOAKING. SOE needs to just STAAHHP being so stealthy themselves about it and finally open up some real dialog and show us what they HAD planned in beta and what they're looking into right now.
  10. Flashtirade

Please, devs. I'm only expecting good things from this.
  11. commandoFi

About time.
  12. m44v

meh, infiltrators still have no purpose and the revamp has no date. Buffing the scout rifles is a good thing... I suppose, but is nothing to be excited about
  13. Dr. Euthanasia

I remember that thing. It managed to be simultaneously inferior to the OBIR and Obeya in medium range, and to the N-HVR at long range. The only reason the HVR was even remotely desirable was for its front-loaded damage, too, because you could abuse cover to only expose yourself for fractions of a second while full-auto users had to stand up and spray at you for much longer. They were fully capable of killing you at those ranges, too, if you didn't have something to hide behind.
    • Up x 1
  14. Kupcake

Why use the Artemis over the Nyx? Just curious.

I'm guessing RoF and 20/100 vs 10/50 ammo pool?

The Nyx deals more than double the damage per shot at any range, though.
  15. Element515

I'm excited for this, I never tried the scout rifles yet but I got a BR and I half like it... It needs a faster bullet velocity and lower recoil... I can killed by someone with an auto gun as often as I kill them... I feel like i should just use a sniper how slowly i need to fire.
  16. Rob2Kx

Increase damage - 4 shots to kill with an HSR-1 is brutal. Reduce that to 3. Add a 7x or 8x scope. 6 is just a bit short to get head shots with any consistency at mid-range. Slight recoil reduction or quicker recovery would be nice too.
  17. pnkdth

Mostly it comes down to rate of fire. I have a thing for 652RPM weapons, they just feel good to handle. I use CME(medic) and Polaris(HA) over the, so called, no brainers like H-V45 and Orion/SVA/LSW. You mention ammo pool as well, and that's another part, I feel like I just run out of ammo otherwise(which can be a problem with the Artemis too, that's for sure).

Nyx is a good weapon though, I use it in situations similiar to where I'd use the VA39 Spectre, only the Nyx allows me to more comfortably get in closer.

That would turn it into a sniper rifle without any sway. Semi auto sniper rifles kill with three shots, have 7x+ scopes. It would also make the Phantom pointless as it would then be inferior to the Nyx in every possible aspect. The Nyx, even as it stands, is probably the best semi-auto rifle for the infiltrator. I'd prefer it they increased RoF and lessened recoil, in addition, to increasing the ammo pool. Since the weapon has no sway you should be able to land a headshot at medium range.
    • Up x 1
  18. Kupcake

Huh, I thought I was the only one who preferred weapons like the Polaris and CME. I actually like them too. As far as AR's go, I like the HV-45 a lot as well, but I still prefer weapons that let me reliably put rounds on target at medium range. I'm curious. What do you use on engis and LA's? The Solstice SF?
  19. pnkdth

Yepp. Compensator, HVA, and underbarrel smoke. Very versitile weapon. With LA I will sometimes switch to the Nova or Serpent though due to the nature of the class. Have yet to try out the SF out with both grip and compensator though, this may very well be a good long range option to the Pulsar C. It certainly works well on the Polaris.

I find a lot of players seem to stare themselves blind at ROF and hipfire attachments.
  20. Kupcake

Honestly, I do most of my infantry fighting as a HA nowadays (used to be CM, but I'm liking the Polaris).

The weapons which kill me the most in face-to-face CQB engagements (where we both start firing at about the same time) aren't the high RoF weapons. It's usually stuff like the Gauss SAW and AC-11X. And yeah, the Solstice SF is quite manageable at range for a Carbine, with the right attachments.