Buff Night. Anyone Agree?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Shadoiex, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Shadoiex

I, for one, am sick and tired of seeing Vanu and black-camo'd TR (for you oppressors and fanatics, black-camo'd NC is included in my list) at the darkest time of night in Planetside 2. Also, I would love for headlights to serve a purpose. The only point in them is, well, nevermind. There isn't a single blasted reason for them. I would like to see night MUCH darker, as in pre-nerf levels. I would like to see flashlights make a return, as well. (Maybe, just maybe Physx could get fixed? I would no longer feel bad about putting $30 into this game....:p)

Also, any complainers about how "I wouldn't be able to see!!!1!1!11", that's the point, numbskulls. This would actually require you to either A: learn to stay ALERT, like you would IRL, or B. Invest in an HS/NV. Problem solved (regarding HS/NV debate) :)
    • Up x 17
  2. Mekeji

I agree. It looks better and just feels better.

However seeing as Auraxis's sky is so bright I don't think it should be pitch black just darker.

Also base lights should be brightened to illuminate a larger area.

Honestly if the game could handle it and it didn't require a lot of effort I would ask for a item where infils could fire a dart to shut out any lights in a certain radius. Thus allowing for night raids of bases to be hard to fight without a flashlight.

Give me a reason to use a flashlight on my primary. As of right now I only use my pistol flashlight because of infils on the points.
    • Up x 4
  3. Tommyp2006

Hell no, I hate fighting at night.

Headlights suck, they have nowhere near the range they should.
    • Up x 4
  4. Taemien

These could be buffed to be useful.
    • Up x 3
  5. vsae

Darker nights will make the infantry gameplay idiotic and random.
    None of serious FPS players are asking for darker nights, because it will just make players that are here to shoot things ragequit, rather than enjoy the beauty of tracers at night.
    Casual yahoos who play 1hr once a week should shut up already.
    • Up x 5
  6. Takoita

Firmly against it. If you feel your night is not dark enough, use in-game options and monitor settings until it is.
    • Up x 3
  7. Kunavi

I used to want darker nights, but ForgeLight is crap and all we'll end up with will be Vanu in every corner and lots of rage.
    • Up x 2
  8. Maelthra

I hate fighting at night. Night should be nerfed into the ground. Like the harasser. Or ZOE.
    • Up x 1
  9. Fenrisk

Buff night, Remove night-vision and thermal-vision from libs = Win!
  10. Gemenai

I for myself can partially understand why some wouldn´t want that but.... hey i´m vanu so :p
    Also it would increase the chance of getting flares and stroboscopic flares for under barrel and as grenades
    as i suggested some time ago.
    And recon would provide even more use ( motion tracker field ftw).
  11. PastalavistaBB

I like this type of gameplay:

The dark knights after the Amerish revamp were so much fun.
    • Up x 2
  12. Inex

So... single player games? ;)

But honestly, I never really have any idea why people want nights so dark you need to use IRNV (because flashlights will just get you sniped... might as well wander around in Lumifiber). That scope completely gets rid of the dark night you're pushing so hard to get. What's the point of implementing dark nights if you either a) use a scope to get rid of them, or b) beg the devs buff the current lighting to mitigate of the dark nights you begged them to put in?
    • Up x 2
  13. thingymajigy

Night time makes my frame rate 5-10 lower and more inconsistent. Wierd:confused:
    • Up x 1
  14. FishMcCool

It'd have to be some cleverly coded night if you don't want to see it defeated by in-game/GPU/monitor brightness/contrast/gamma settings, only putting people who like it at a massive disadvantage. Bit like flora.
    • Up x 2
  15. Xebov

Darker Nights are garbage. Nights are allready realy dark, way to dark in my eyes. Its nearly impossible for me to play on Indar during parts of the night time, same with amerish. Instead of making nights darker tehy should make them less dark and improve them so its playable for everyone.

The problems that raise with dark nights:

Not everyone has his computer in a dark room in the basement. Most have a well lit room, some have a bit of light on there screens from different sources, making dark things hard to see.

Its easy to counter darker nights with using the gamma from screens, drivers and the game to counter the night. Its like when players switched to low graphics when cloaked infiltrators where easily visible.

The darkness of the night is based on your graphic settings. If you have high settings it becomes much darker compared to low settings.

The game itself is not build for dark nights. The light sources are very weak, it can get very dark even inside buildings with lots of light sources on the ceiling. Bases are evry bad lit and for Infantry there is only the IR/NV available to counter it. If the game should have darker nights we would need build in NV (the green one from vehicles) for infantry inside the helmet with a toggle key.

If you ask me we dont even need nights, since nights will stay i would suggest to revert the stupid darker nights so everyone can once again have fun at the game nights.
    • Up x 6
  16. vsae

I for once will agree with woodman fella
  17. IamDH

People were complaining that nights were too dark, so they changed it. As for better lighting, i see this as something else that would eat FPS even more
  18. NinjaKirby

I always used to ask for Darker nights. But sometimes when the current level of Night falls upon Indar, I do strain to see. And it really rustled my Jim Jams when I was fighting the VS as well.

But making it even more darker to conceal all factions, it just isn't a good way to go. Even after turning off my other monitors and a Lamp in my room, the nature of the screen being close to #000000 made me strain to see what was going to be impossible to see.

It's a great idea on paper - one which I once loved myself - but in reality it's just not going to work imo.

Back when I tried Mortal Online at launch, the nights would literally turn completely black (Literally #000000 in many cases without a torch), and it kind of worked because of the pace of the gameplay. So on top of the above, I believe PS2 is too fast and manic for it.
    • Up x 2
  19. FateJH

Regardless of the night, some bases definitely need better lighting outdoors. There's no excuse why some facilities are so dark in between buildings when we have all these towers and high walls.
  20. Moz

Your sir are an ****, I agree with what you are saying, but NOT how you say it "none of the serious FPS players" PLEASE. Let me guess you are "MLG Yolo pro yo!", get a grip!

We maybe "yahoos", but you my friend, are the far worse "keyboard warrior".

Now back on topic, i hate to admit i agree with Mr MLG Pro, if you make the night to dark it can add a random element to gameplay which can be frustrating to say the least. Maybe a little darker would be OK but not to dark.

PS - Posting in red so everyone knows how correct i am, and how my opinion is far above others. o_O