Bloom Sucks

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Illucidator, May 13, 2015.

1. Illucidator

Start watching at :31
    I would just like to come here and waste everyone's time by first saying bloom sucks lol. The reason I first shadow played this was because I thought it was slightly fishy that I couldn't finish off a pesky heavy as he walked in a straight line but watching the video over I have come to a realization that bloom has bested me...that is all and yes I know I should of burst fired but I only tend to do that at longer ranges not usually 10-15m out. Also your welcome I used a silencer just so you could see how bad it is...jk was just testing different builds.

ps im not asking for a buff or whatev im just sharing info. I can only imagine how bad it can be at times for NC...or maybe not just sucks for you guys..or maybe youre use to it IDK. Also yes I know i suck so skip the gitgud part I already know that :)
  2. Lucidius134

When you ADS the COF does not tighten instantly. Looks like you ADS'd just as you stopped sprinting and kept most of your sprint COF penalty. You can replicate this by jumping, ADS'ing and firing. Shots should go near the outside of your reflex.

I believe BF4 had the same issue on launch and was patched out to 'improve gunplay'. Here we are 3 years later just getting reticle fixes on sights 1-4x lol
    • Up x 5
  3. Taemien

Take a look at this thread here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...heck-do-weapons-have-cof-while-aiming.225725/

I've brought this up in a few threads. Bloom/CoF doesn't belong in ADS. Its to simulate recoil when we already have recoil.
    • Up x 1
  4. Isokon

5. eldarfalcongravtank

^correct

it is basically a skill cap in order to not make certain pro players with insane aiming skill too powerful in firefights. the random cof bloom contributes to an unpredictable gunplay element which is almost impossible to master (unlike pure recoil control or burst firing) and thus levels the playing field between users with bad aim and very skilled aim ("narrowing the skill corridor from above")

it is a vital doctrine for todays multiplayer shooter games to not lose massive player numbers and only end up with an elite core which would dominate everything
  6. Taemien

So its better to lose them within 5 minutes than over a period of a few days? Right now I see threads popping up where new players say, "It takes a full clip to kill someone where they kill me in under a second."

That is because of cone of fire. On their screen, the reticle/crosshair/dot is ON target and they believe they are compensating for recoil (first time you fire, you see the gun rise, its not hard to pull back to keep on target). They don't realize there is a hidden circle (well its not hidden when you hipfire, the crosshair gets bigger, but this doesn't show while ADS) that shows the RANDOM AREA where the shots are going to go.

A random area that has NOTHING to do with recoil and can fire BELOW the aiming point and off in a Random direction:

[IMG]

How is a New Player supposed to compensate for this? Hell Vets don't even realize this for months at a time. I know I didn't until I saw the video I took this screen from. How's a new players supposed to know? There's no tutorial for the dice roll that is CoF.

Instead... if recoil was increased, and CoF removed. It would EVEN the playing field because a new player would SEE where the shots are going to go.

Because here's what happens now, two players encounter each other. Lets say at about 15-20m, just outside normal hipfire range. They ADS on each other and begin firing. After the 4th or 5th shot the bloom becomes an issue. But they cannot let up, they are committed. At about the 10th shot, someone lives or dies. You know what determines that? RNG. Someone or both of them gets a good roll and gets a CoF bloomed shot to randomly hit the center and kill their target.

But wait, why not let up after the 5th shot? Not as easy as it sounds. By the 10th shot only 8 tenths of a second has passed. And it is probably not prudent. Because lets say one does let off, uses 'good gunplay' and fires in bursts. What happens when the opponent holds down the trigger for the full 10-13 shots it takes to kill someone? More specifically lets say he gets lucky on his 8th shot and lands them all, he rolls good on his RNG.

The prudent player dies. That's what happens. Or has a good chance to (depending on RNG). BUT he did everything right! But can still die to RNG from the other player. Because if he fires a burst of 5 shots, and goes to fire another burst.. he gets nailed by 8 hits from the guy laying on the trigger. The best case scenario is a kill trade when your opponent gets lucky with his rolls.

That's a problem for vets, and especially for new players who don't understand that in engagements like that. Its RNG that determines what happens. Get lucky and get center rolls, you get a kill. If your opponent gets lucky he gets the kill. If both get lucky, then a kill trade happens. If both get unlucky, it takes more rounds and the RNGness is even greater. And this is exactly how engagements work when neither player is surprised, and accounts for the majority of encounters.

I find it really weird that this MMOFPS is so reliant on RNG compared to MMORPGs. In a MMORPG, the RNG determines alot. But stats like accuracies and crit can negate RNG to an extent. We have no equipment to modify such stat here. Why are you all ok with RNG being more of a factor in killing an opponent in PS2 than it is in EQ2 or WoW?

Lets take RNG and Luck out of the equation.
    • Up x 1
  7. Iridar51

Warm, but wrong. All weapons have sprint recovery delay, about 300 ms for infantry weapons. This is well enough to let the CoF reset after sprinting.
    You started firing before aiming down sights. In PS2, your weapon does not become accurate if you start firing from the hip, and then aim down sights. Essentially, you had the same cone of fire as if you were firing from the hip, despite the fact you were aiming down sights.

In a situation like this, you should either start firing only after you aim down sights, or take a pause after aiming to let the cone of fire reset.

I speak in detail about this issue in my gunplay guide here.
    • Up x 1
  8. FateJH

So has anyone found the original video for this screenshot Taemien keeps posting yet?
  9. Stigma

When you literally magdump your entire clip full-auto while moving - you get every single accuracy reduction working in your disfavor. The last 15-20 bullets of that spraying is going everywhere...

There are ways of maintaining accuracy, and you just have to keep aware of those factors and balance your offence and defence. If you need accuracy you might want to actually stop, and then burstfire (deciding on the length of the bursts based on distance).

If you didn't have modifiers like this the gameplay would quickly start to resemble unreal tournament rather more than battlfield - so be careful what you wish for. I don't think that a game with no bloom or recoil would make for good gameplay.

-Stigma
  10. Liberty

For the love of all that is holy can you please stop using this single screenshot as a platform for your issue with bloom.

This is what bloom actually looks like @ 15 M both stationary and moving without any attempt to burstfire over the course of 80-90 rounds. (Your target looks closer than 15 M)

It should take 2000 / (143*0.2) or 70 bullets to kill a MAX up close (80% damage resistance 2000 base HP)

You keep trying to say it is an RNG or left to chance, that is *ONLY* the case when you don't reset your CoF.

It would be like taking an RPG ability fireball that you can charge up to do more damage / aoe. If you fully charge it though it will go on a 10 second cool down.

An intelligent gamer would tell you : Charge it to 90% and release so you can get the most DPS out of it without suffering a cooldown. Players are trying to tell you the same thing here, burst fire and bloom becomes a non issue yet every thread you show up with this screenshot that for anyone who knows the game shows that you absolutely refused to reset your CoF and could possibly have also been affected by damage flinch.

TL:DR the solution to your issue is what most reasonably intelligent players have been doing for years now and has been a part of the gunplay meta for this game since it was released.
    • Up x 1
  11. Scr1nRusher

Bloom needs to be toned down.
    • Up x 1
  12. Garrum

And horizontal recoil on a great number of weapons.
    • Up x 1
  13. Scr1nRusher

Agreed.
  14. Skooma Lord

Bloom hurts us N.C. a lot especially with our slow velocity, slow R.O.F carbines like the AC-X11. I would like to see it reduced by a large amount or completely removed and maybe have an increase in Recoil to compensate.
  15. Taemien

Cept that in such RPGs, charging a 'fireball' doesn't take 5/10ths of a second and if you're off by a quarter of a second you are penalized for it. If it were such a non issue, these threads wouldn't keep popping up.

So if you don't like seeing the screenshot here's what you can do:

1. Don't visit the threads.
    2. Put me on ignore (do both of us a favor).

As long as the threads keep popping up, I'll keep showing the screenshots and diagrams. Do you have the same resolve?
  16. Liberty

Just so we are clear, you have a problem with a mechanic that has a way to be mitigated you just refuse to use it.
    I made a post to show you just how bloom works and how long it actually takes you holding down the trigger for it to be a deciding factor, in spite of both of these things you'll keep trying to spread misinformation to the community.

So what I will do is continue to point out your ignorance about the situation, the flimsy proof that screenshot attempts to provide in hopes of making the community a better, more educated place. One where players don't bandwagon on non existent problems (with solutions already in place in game) and instead work to better themselves and their understanding of the mechanics.

But it is good to know that even in the face of solutions to your problems and proof otherwise to their existence you stick to your guns.
    • Up x 3
  17. Dudeman325420

CoF Bloom is a pretty standard mechanic used in plenty of FPS games. I don't see how asking players to control their rate of fire to achieve higher accuracy takes less skill than being given a gun that will always hit dead-center with every shot on full-auto.

It sounds like you aren't skilled enough to handle the added complexity. Maybe Quake 2 is more up your alley?
    • Up x 2
  18. Taemien

So you'd rather have dice rolls to decide who gets the kill?

Lets do it like this. When two people meet, the system randoms a number between 1 and 6. If 1 is rolled, the aggressor dies. On a 6 the defender dies. Anything inbetween they both lose some rounds out of the mag. Run out of ammo and its a death.

I mean if we're going to go RNG, why not full on RNG?

Probably because we're here to play this:

[IMG]

Not this:

[IMG]

But it didn't take long for the ad hominem attacks to come out. That's all the validation I need, thanks, both of you.
  19. Dudeman325420

You can compare bloom to RNG all you want, but you know you are wrong. The simple fact is that controlling bloom takes more skill than not controlling it.
    • Up x 1
  20. Cinnamon

I do get frustrated when playing light assault when I lose because of the time you have to wait between landing and cone of fire tightening.