BLM claims racism in planetside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DooDooBreff, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DooDooBreff

one of my best friends is black, plays PS2, and also is a lt. in the central florida chapter of the BLM called me last night to discuss the latest leadership update. he went on to tell me that he spoke to a few of his fellow members and they agree that having a "spades" category is clearly racist whether intended or not.
    I will find out more later today and update here
  2. FateJH

The Bureau of Land Management?
    • Up x 4
  3. RainbowDash9

cards are white, so naturally they're racist :eek:
    • Up x 3
  4. JobiWan

What's a BLM?

Spades is a suit in a game of cards. If people want to take offence they will find something.
    • Up x 2
  5. Pelojian

it's also a word that can be used in a racist manner. it's just not often used in a racist manner.
    • Up x 1
  6. Demigan

PSA: Your friends are looking for it.

They are using the card names, diamonds, clubs, spades.

Now yes, it was used as an insult, in the freaking civil war. However, there's a huge difference between usage and a word by itself.

If i say "that car is black". I am not insulting anyone.
    If I say "that guy is black", I'm just making a statement so someone knows who I'm talking about, it's no different than saying "that guy is white/pink", I'm not trying to insult them or be racist, I'm just pointing something out for one reason or another.
    If I say "that's a ******* black" I'm definitely being racist. So you see context matters.
    But what most people in that are often the target of racism forget is that racism works both ways. If they call me a ******* white they are no better, and subject me to the same racism, even though I would never do racist stuff or use racism to my advantage/their disadvantage.

And your friend is not looking at the context, he's hurt by something so far out of context it's not even funny anymore. You might as well start banning the word black altogether or anything to do with racism.
    You know what the worst part is? They are basically racists themselves. They think that just because they are black, everything is suddenly against them. Sure there's racists out there! Sure there's lots of people with stupid idea's about people based on their skin color! But don't be a dumb brick and rip something out of context just so you can feel insulted! Don't go blame the developers from using the names of a standard pack of cards and then using one single word out of context and shout "see, see? Now i'm insulted!"

Tl :DR: Your friends should really stop being such wusses and feel insulted by something even if it has absolutely nothing to do with racism.
    • Up x 27
  7. Demigan

Just because it can doesn't mean it's racist!

For those people (not necessarily you) that don't get it:
    If it's used in a racist manner, it's racist.
    If it's used in any other way, it's not racist.
    • Up x 5
  8. DooDooBreff

i agree with you on this one. but you know how these things go these days...
  9. Brogan9001

You seriously need to tell your friend to look up the term "Confirmation Bias."
  10. FieldMarshall

Everything can be offensive if you look hard enough.
    Sometimes the people who hate racism the most are the most racist people, finding racism where none exists.

No one should ever use anything that has anything to do with "spades" ever again then.
    Lets stop using everything with a black colour while we are at it. Sounds stupid? Thats because it is.

It sounds like your friend wants racism. Its probably subconscious, but it doesent really matter.
    I dont know what BLM is, but if they used the words "clearly racist", then they sound like the race equivalent of feminazis, and shouldnt be taken seriously.

Ridiculous what people try to pass off as racism these days. Martin Luther King is rolling in his grave.
    • Up x 1
  11. DooDooBreff

12. Gundem

But that's modern US hyper-sensitive white privilege society for ya. If you refer to a man with ebony skin as a "black" guy, for the sake of simplicity(Because he's the only ******* black man at your workplace), someone will call you racist for it, and then some lawyer is gonna take your *** to the bank because of it.

Kind of like how burglars can sue you for injuries they sustained while inside your home, that they were trespassing inside, and win.

Because american justice system, WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FREEEDOOOM!
    • Up x 1
  13. Pirbi

Special Interest Groups have a strong incentive to look for reasons to justify being a Special Interest Group. BLM is no different and part of their advertising is sticking their nose into everything they can. If they get a business or other group to bend to their will (no matter how stupid) they can point to that 'success' as a reason the next group should. Is it possible a SIG can do some good? Sure. They usually form with the best of intentions. But as they become more successful toward that goal, they become less relevant. Yet they rarely simply fade away. Especially if their organizers are making a buck or two or getting notoriety from it.
    • Up x 4
  14. Colonelveers12

You felt the need to make a forum post about it why? Are things really that dry around here?
  15. DooDooBreff

that not really how it works any longer.

i mean about the burglar bit..

ie stand your ground, and castle laws. you no longer have to prove whether or not it was necessary, but id recommend that if you shoot a burglar, make sure hes dead. he cant take you to court then
    • Up x 1
  16. DooDooBreff

because i wanted to....

if you need a better reason than that, make one up
  17. Azawarau

Is this Tumblr?

Ive had a few runs with racism and know how much it sucks but at some point we have to realize that the more we legitimize these stupid things the longer theyll be around

There was a school that changed the names of their titles recently from Masters to something else because someone felt like the black students didnt feel comfortable calling the higher ups master

Just.... Let it go

Stop legitimizing this

Im going to go pull my hair out now and hope this is a joke thread
    • Up x 1
  18. Azawarau

Stand your ground is fine on its own

The people abusing it and the defense having to prove they werent threatening to the other person is absolutely out of line and its obvious what the intent of this was

Theres actually a thing in china i read about where people will literally kill you if they get into an accident with you because its cheaper to pay for a funeral than to have to pay your medical bills for the rest of your life

And i thought America was bad....
  19. Iridar51

It's because Racist Shield got nerfed recently.
    • Up x 11
  20. Gundem

We need a Gif of the "That's Racist" kid, but put TR armor on em with all the TR's most notorious weapons in the past(GK, Striker, Prowler, Banshee).

Then we need one of Spongebob's Eager face, but decked out in engi armor with a GK on his head.

It's perfect.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.