Best weapon for vanu?thanatos,pandora or nova?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Navoletti, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Navoletti

well thanks for the descriptions,i think in buy pandora,much people talk of this weapon and say "is the best shotgun" but i check 30 minutes and the thanatos is great....

what recomended you?now i need wait 28 days for a comparison of the weapons in other check.......is much time for wait.....
  2. Adamar09

You need to wait 28 days to trail the same one again. You can try a different weapon every 8 hours.
  3. Hyperzone

I recommend thanatos, it keeps you shooting over the whole battle the most. Nova is nice because of 10 extra ammo, the +2 magazine is not that big of a deal, with 10 shots I drop 3 people coming at me if they don't get to me first. Nova however has a really long reload time (pandora is similar). I really don't like long reloads. For very close range, shotguns (remove slug ammo for base fights) kill in 2 shots most of the time (some of the spread hits the head I reckon) I find the full-auto on pandora unnecessary.

This is me and my style of play, I like to dash in, dash out, move really fast, plan cover ahead, shoot a few, get back under cover, etc. Short reload of vanu weapons is best suited for this style and out of shotguns, thanatos fits my preference. There is no one "best" shotgun, there is only the best fit for a particular style of play, much like with all other weapons.

Keep in mind, trial shotguns without slugs are for VERY close range only, basefights like biolab. I recommend you try nova or pandora and see the reload time, try it in a fight and how long it feels when you run out with someone around the corner.
  4. Shiaari

I like my Thanatos. No slugs.

For longer range fights I use the Eidolon, 6x Trigon or 2x holo.
  5. Hyperzone

Have you tried slugs with the shotgun though? I thought that would be my long range engineer weapon but it turns out the slug velocity is so low, they're practically unusable on moving (which means most) targets after medium range.

Very devastating up to mid-range though. I ran thanatos + OG-4 (4x) scope a lot and while excellent at countersniping snipers (who don't expect an engi to retaliate at 300m), it was underwhelming for general long-range use. It's still my go-to setup (but with 2x holo).

How do you compare eidolon to this 4x slugger setup, have you ever tried it, the setup you mention is exactly the niche I expect it to fill, 6x scope and a bit longer than medium range to fill the gap after slugger.
  6. Village

DO NOT get the Thanatos, get the Nova, hands down the best shotgun.
  7. exLupo

Note about the Thanatos (and all of the "accuracy" shotguns), it's got a 3.0 pellet spread as opposed to 3.5 for the high capacity or 4.0 for auto fire.

More pellets will hit at longer ranges and more will land as headshots if you aim for the face.

I went with that type and don't regret it. More ammo would be nice when I'm on LA but personal ammo resupply is one of the things that dev has rumbled about for LA buffs and on engi it doesn't matter. Auto fire would just end up with me spending too much on my kills and the TTK increase isn't enough for me to want to go from a 7.065 shot area to 12.65. That's an 80% increase in the pellet spread.

Shotties, just like everything else, are very personal. With reloads factored, the DPS over time is pretty much even. To me, it comes down to one of three options: Want to spray? Want to fire farther/tighter? Want to fire for longer?
  8. Rusky

Sorry but I'm going to have to very strongly disagree with this point.

First of all you are just plain wrong, the bullet velocity is exactly the same for all 3 battle rifles:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FLE&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

Second of all, even if VS did have lower bullet velocity, TR and NC would also have to compensate for that as TR/NC weapons are not hitscan.It is easier to compensate on one axis than it is to compensate on two axis (X for VS vs X and Y for TR/NC).

And finally, trying to shoot a target at 50+m (supposedly the optimal range for these weapons) as TR/NC is an exercise in frustration and shoot at the head will not get you a body shoot... it might get you a toe shot, IF the target's standing still.

I'll have to go and try out the VS battle rifle myself and I'll come back and post the results.
    Just by looking at the stats though, it looks crazy good (as probably are some other VS weapons that might need balancing :p )
  9. Shiaari

I did, actually, and I didn't like it. It takes away the point of it being a shotgun: Spread. It's why I also certed the Eidolon for longer range engagements, but the damage falloff on the Eidolon is substantial past 200 meters. Here's a review of it and the other battle rifles in the game.

I also went with the Thanatos because of the reload speed, though if you go with the Thanny will want the extended magazine rail attachment; it only has 6 shots by default.
  10. Hyperzone

You can disagree all you want, but keep in mind, apparently, these tables aren't data but some speculation and are completely unreliable. Reason being, until I checked your link out, I have seen tables with different kind of data where damage was the same and bullet velocity was lower. That's where I was coming from. To not turn this into a "my data set is better than yours" kind of stupidity, we can agree until official numbers come out... discussions based on that are just moot.

But all that aside, hypothetically now, If in fact tr and nc battle rifles do more damage at long range (min bullet dmg, which is what these rifles are designed for and will mostly be used at) then that's way worse than I thought. I played both VS and TR and bullet drop is very easy to compensate... for me I guess, maybe because I like playing tanks, compensating for drop is a very big part of the equation. But even infantry-wise, everyone who is serious about long range has had to get a feel for it anyway because all sniper rifles have bullet drop albeit smaller (due to higher velocity of the high-vel ones) but it's there.

I know if I have a choice between bullet drop or taking 1 more shot to eliminate someone, I'd rather take bullet drop and not curse the no-drop-perk when targets duck under cover needing just 1 more shot...

I'm not sure you caught my point about shotguns while being awesome at range on paper (3 body shot drop, huge damage), in practice, they are unusuable and make me want to get a battle rifle even if it means taking 6 shots to eliminate instead of 3. Point being, sluggers are unusuable at long range because of too low slug velocity (combined with the RoF they have).

Do try the VS and let me know how much lower is the damage. Shoot a friend and ask them to wear or not wear nanoweave and report results, I am curious to find out.
  11. Ghosty11

For Biolabs I prefer the Pandora, for open bases the VX6-7, as it allows you to kill at longer ranges.
  12. Rusky

Personal opinions aside (both yours and mine :p ) https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/296690612147716096
    Looking forward to that.
  13. Navoletti

thanks for all people i buy pandora but i am dissapointed......

only buy this weapon for the auto but now i see the true...with pandora you need shot 3 tiemes for kill 1 player and with the other weapons(nova and thanatos)i remember kill people only with 2 shots.....

i am bad,this is a bug or is the really true?

well what is the next shotgun thanatos or nova?pfffff i kill much people with pandora but you need shot 3 tiemes or two time in the head...

i kill much tieme with pandora yeah but die much tieme example.

133 kill and die 127....

and i buy the cert exyended ammo and the hv night for weapon,the slugs i not use and much people not recomended this for pandora...

a player have video of pandora?i next a training or really the shotgun is sh.... and the other two is more best...
  14. Adamar09

You need to be closer to get the 2 shot kill, the pellets have slightly more spread.

Get in their face, unload twice and move on.
  15. Village

Your battle rifle does 200 damage at max range, ours only does 167, the Eidolon is nearly useless even at long recoil, it has far too much recoil, and projectile speed is terrible.
  16. Rusky

Need to point out again that projectile speed is identical for all 3 battle rifles.

And yes, the TR/NC ones do more damage at >85m, but we need to account for a good amount of bullet drop at that range, VS do not.

At any rate, the next GU will have updates to the battle rifles (and all other infantry weapons) according to Higby, which i'm looking forward to as I always wanted a rifle on my engineer.
  17. Village

Really? That's awesome news.
  18. Aslandav

Use "mines" and "C-4s"...for engineers, the "mines" and "C-4s" can work ridiculous "magics".