Best NC shotgun?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Bape, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Bape

Thinking about moving to shotgun getting annoyed of being 1 shotted by shotguns. So which shotgun is best for NC ?
    1.Piston?
    2.Mauler?
    3.Sweeper?

I heard piston is cheap and make people rage like the hacksaw because its auto is this true if it is im game for it :D?
  2. nella

Sweeper or Piston, it's personal preference. Some prefer auto, others semi auto(with a larger magazine). Personally I would go with the full auto shotgun.

Mauler is worse than the two mentioned above, and the jackhammer is a joke.
  3. Rhumald

You realize the only difference between the sweeper and the mauler is that the mauler reloads faster, right?
    that makes it batter... personally I already have an auraxium medal on my mauler, receiving those 100 certs felt awesome!

the piston's auto fire mode is selected with B, when using this fire mode, it empties an entire clip in about 1 second, but you cannot stop it, it empties the clip on the first click... personally I don't like wasting ammo... it is however, great for an engineer on point defense.
  4. Deschain

Piston scares the **** outa folks, and i laugh like a little girl everytime i stick it to the back of the snipers head and pull the trigger.
    • Up x 1
  5. nella

It's got a larger magazine(sweeper does), and the mauler reloads slightly faster.

Personally I prefer greater magazine capacity than a faster reload speed.
  6. Rhumald

cert into the extended magazine, that 1 or 2 extra shots the sweeper has (it's been a while, I cannot remember) suddenly isn't enough to outweigh a faster reload speed at all, especially CQC.
  7. Bape

Piston it is boahahahha thanks :D
  8. Intruder313

Hmm I've been persuaded to get the Mauler (but not done so yet) because it has a "longer range" i.e. tighter CoF.
    But checking the stats it actually does not, it has slightly better CoF when moving but nothing to suggest it performs better at range at all, even the recoil is identical.

So according the extracted data you either get 8 Clip / 2.6 second reload or 6 Clip / 1.925 second reload.
    Or the Piston Auto monster.
  9. Rhumald

I should clarify, it's the sweeper that has the auto fire alternate fire that unloads the entire clip (I was wrong in my assumption that it was the piston), the piston is simply auto fire... but it is a beast because of it, but with shotguns downtime is a huge deal, which is why I prefer the faster reload of the mauler, and if you want an all round weapon, cert the slugs and any scope... you can snipe with it, and the slugs kill pretty fast from any distance if you're a good aim... the bullet drop is certainly something to adjust to though.

To be fair, you pick up any shotgun, and you'll be getting those kills you'd expect from a shoty (except the jackhammer), and the slugs make them an adaptable hard hitting weapon of death, just take the slugs off whenever you know you're about to be doing allot of really close quarters combat, like point defense.
  10. ScorpDK

I personally picked the Mauler (and other factional equivalents) as the tighter spread might help me get some kills on dudes 1-2 meter further away. It's very effective in a CQC such as tower defense. You can kill 2-4 dudes before having to reload if you do it right.
    Put extended mag on it, and maybe Nightvision to spot cloakers easier, and you're having a field day.
  11. WolfBlitzer

CoF is largely irrelevant for shotguns. What matters is the pellet spread, which is indeed tighter for the mauler. All the 6-round semi-auto shotguns (Mauler for NC) have a spread of 3, 8-rounders (Sweeper) are 3.5, and auto-shotguns (Piston) are 4. So its there, but whether you notice the difference is up to the individual.
  12. Cirevam

The Sweeper has an alternate fire mode? Wow, I've been missing out. I'll have to try it tonight. Is it used with a seperate button or do I have to switch firing modes? If I remember right I haven't seen anything other than single-shot on it.

Also, how do you guys get buckshot to kill in one or two hits? I usually have to use five shots if I'm at 5 meters. My framerate is usually trash though...
  13. Ghoest

Ignore this person.
    He is either clueless or dishonest - probably clueless.

I have all 3. I suggest the sweeper if you are only getting one. But the Piston is also a good choice - if you dont plan to use slugs.
  14. Intruder313

Ah right I assumed the pellet-spread was a function of the CoF itself as it's not a stat visible in my data.

I was totally unaware that the Sweeper had an alt-fire mode just as I never knew the Jackhammer had a 3-round burst mode. They really need to improve the information in the tooltips - sometimes there's not even a clue about an item's function.

I trialled the Jackhammer (single shot only as I did know) and went on an absolute rampage with it - but then I was a shielded heavy near a spawn point so could have got even better results with any Shotgun.

I trialled the Sweeper but did not know about the mode.

I trialled the Mauler and could not see improved spread - it was hopeless at range. Main issue was I did not have time to test it because I was getting killed before I could get near people. I planned to Biolab battle but my Outfit had other plans :p

I trialled the Piston and found it emptied it's mag too fast.

The problem with trials is you can't attach scopes or slugs so get no real clue how a gun performs - for some weapons this renders the trial utterly meaningless.

I think in the end whichever Shotgun comes on Daily Sale first will be the one I buy and learn to use.
  15. Rhumald

buckshot is for Close Close quarters, like coming around a corner and BAM there's your enemy close, something that's easy to do if you're playing light assault. Any amount of that buck-shot happen to land on their head, and they'll go down oh so much faster. if your enemy is outside that range, force them to come fight you, don't go to them unless you know they haven't spotted you yet, and if you can trick them into thinking you're somewhere, only to drop down behind them, all the better.

It is to switch firing modes, as it is with all weapons; I suggest you try it with every weapon you aquire, some weapons even have a 3rd firing mode.

I have all three as well, I've used them extensively, I have the auraxium medal with my mauler, and am working on the same medal for the other two shotys, it really does come down to what you prefer in a gun; more ammo, faster reload, or faster fire rate.

I also don't appreciate that personal attack, considering I've been nothing but honest, and informative, many here didn't even know some of the shotys have alternate firing modes, which could seriously affect their decisions when purchasing a shotgun... and slugs are just as effective on every shotgun if you take the time to aim with them.

some people are mentioning tighter spreads, I have not tested the other factions shotguns, so cannot speak for those, but the NC shot guns appear to all have similar spread patterns.
    • Up x 1
  16. Steelblade

Well, I think you good no matter which one you choose, NC shottys > TR, VS shottys.
  17. WolfBlitzer

Now HERE is someone who is clueless. The shotguns of all three empires are literally statistically identical, except for the VS having no bullet drop.
  18. Steelblade

Regardless of what the numbers say, I am noticeably outgunned when using the nighthawk vs any NC shot gun. You can understand that right? How some one can come the forums and say that they're horrifically underpowered, and straight-up deny any statistical proof? Maybe I just totally changed my mindset on logical thinking after viewing these forums for months now and seeing NC whine up the wall for nothing.
  19. Intruder313

That is actual nonsense: the NC and TR shotguns are all pretty much identical other than name/graphics.
    The VS ones are the same too except I believe they have lower velocity to "balance" the lack of bullet drop and one of them has a straight CoF advantage.

VS > NR = TR
  20. Intruder313

Confirmation bias, they may simply be better at shotgunning than you. When I trial a shotgun I get MURDERED with almost nothing to show for it.
    When I meet shotguns (almost always TR with Nighthawks) they murder me.

They rock at shotguns while I suck at them due to almost no playtime with them. Are you using Slugs up close or firing pellets at range?

Incidentally a Dev has now said that the NC are underpowered (not shotguns, as "an Empire) which suggests the Devs have statistical proof of the observable evidence.